Motherwell v Celtic - Wednesday 5th December

Motherwell deserved their point.
Another valuable lesson for this Celtic squad sitting on such a slender lead is a big mistake.

I'm all for squad rotation and fighting for your place. But it seems we're quite reliant on certain players going through the gears and getting us into a comfortable lead.

There was no urgency or drive to kill the game off in the second half, it wasn't till Motherwell levelled that we start to create space and pressured.

I'm becoming more frustrated with Sinclair each game as he's happy to play the possession game, shame it looks like he'll never get that confidence back that scared the daylights out of opposition defenders.

Big opportunity missed last night.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

Another valuable lesson for this Celtic squad sitting on such a slender lead is a big mistake.

I'm all for squad rotation and fighting for your place. But it seems we're quite reliant on certain players going through the gears and getting us into a comfortable lead.

There was no urgency or drive to kill the game off in the second half, it wasn't till Motherwell levelled that we start to create space and pressured.

I'm becoming more frustrated with Sinclair each game as he's happy to play the possession game, shame it looks like he'll never get that confidence back that scared the daylights out of opposition defenders.

I must need new glasses. We levelled in the last couple of minutes and Celtic's "threats" after that were a few lumped long balls that ran through to our keeper who wasted about 2 of the 3 minutes injury time running it in to the corner of his box and picking it up. To say we were under pressure at the end is nothing short of absolute nonsense. 

Celtic never created a thing all 2nd half, I genuinely don't think Gillespie had a save to make.

It really was a strange match, 1st half we were pretty poor and could conceivably been at least 3 down despite Celtic hardly getting out of 2nd gear. Gillespie saving the pen was definitely the turning point as both the players and the fans seemed to get a much needed lift. 

The 2nd half though Celtic took their foot right off it and were pretty shocking, the slow tempo and number of  misplaced passes was really poor from them. They were almost as bad as us, as has been mentioned the wee spell where Gordon and co were trying to play out from the back under pressure and kept putting straight out the park was hilarious.

We kept plugging away but never really looked like scoring, a familiar tale this season however when there's only goal in it you always feel there's a chance- it was fitting that the one bit of quality from us all game between Turnbull and Johnson led to an equaliser. 

All in all, f**k knows what to make it of. I didn't think we saw quite the reaction/performance that I thought we'd see after the Livi game but on the other  hand we got a point more than I was really expecting- especially after the opening 15 mins when we were 2 subs and a goal down having barely touched the ball. Certainly seen us play much better and get nothing against Celtic so I'll quite happily take the point on this occasion and move on.

52 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

Celtic have done this more than once this season,when we are winning we manage the game out we control the game and tempo,making 7 changes was too much for me 3 or 4 would be fine.
Bringing Hayes and Gamboa in meant we started with 9 men on the park Rodgers has to take the blame.
Even thou it takes something away from Tierney's game put him at right back and bring izzy on in the left if Lustig is getting rested.
For me motherwell deserved nothing from the game even thou Celtic were very sloppy,another 2 points dropped for no fecking reason.

I must need new glasses. We levelled in the last couple of minutes and Celtic's "threats" after that were a few lumped long balls that ran through to our keeper who wasted about 2 of the 3 minutes injury time running it in to the corner of his box and picking it up. To say we were under pressure at the end is nothing short of absolute nonsense. 

You're splitting hairs. Celtic were pedestrian for all of the second half, when Motherwell levelled at the end there was more urgency about our game, and an attempt at creating space.

My point being, we should be doing that earlier on in an effort to kill the game off.

22 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

You're splitting hairs. Celtic were pedestrian for all of the second half, when Motherwell levelled at the end there was more urgency about our game, and an attempt at creating space.

My point being, we should be doing that earlier on in an effort to kill the game off.

Remember how much Celtic fans hated Gordon Strachan for his negative play, why isn't Rogers getting hit with the same shit?

He never tries to win a game by 3 or 4. He is happy to sit on a 1 goal lead and not have the side press for a second. It was horrific viewing last night. How long until it costs Brendan again?

?width=500&version=1435872

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Mince! A bad referee decision for a disallowed goal plus Rodgers not playing his strongest team and a great save from the pen.
Earned and deserved nothing.

Benkovic shouldn't have pulled Aldred and Griffiths continued his horrific penalty record. (why does he even get to hit them?)

You played the 2nd half like it was 3-0 and got found out.

And harping on abouta weaker side against us when we had players out and had to make 2 subs in 10 minutes is a complete red neck for you.

15 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

And harping on abouta weaker side against us when we had players out and had to make 2 subs in 10 minutes is a complete red neck for you.

Celtic didn't have players out,Rodgers decided to make 7 changes and rest players underestimating motherwell's ability, it's a complement.

Remember how much Celtic fans hated Gordon Strachan for his negative play, why isn't Rogers getting hit with the same shit?

100% because he's Irish.

He never tries to win a game by 3 or 4. He is happy to sit on a 1 goal lead and not have the side press for a second. It was horrific viewing last night. How long until it costs Brendan again?

Probably cost us the octuple treble.

57 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Mince! A bad referee decision for a disallowed goal plus Rodgers not playing his strongest team.

I don't think we deserved a point over the piece either but the facts in the matter is that a 1-0 lead is never enough and we managed to score at the death to take a draw, therefore we scored as many goals as Celtic did and so earned a point. That Rodgers chose not to play his strongest team and the referee deeming the Benkovic goal to have been illegal are not Motherwell's problems.

1 hour ago, MJC said:

I don't think we deserved a point over the piece either but the facts in the matter is that a 1-0 lead is never enough and we managed to score at the death to take a draw, therefore we scored as many goals as Celtic did and so earned a point. That Rodgers chose not to play his strongest team and the referee deeming the Benkovic goal to have been illegal are not Motherwell's problems.

Nobody said it was motherwell's problem that's on Rodgers dropping 2 points for nothing.

Mince! A bad referee decision for a disallowed goal plus Rodgers not playing his strongest team.
Score the same amount of goals as the other side and you've earned a point.
There isn't a deserved points column in the league table.

12 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Hard to say for sure but....back to back trebles, a domestic season unbeaten, won the League cup 5 days ago, a likely qualification from the EL groups...Celtic fans appear to be easily pleased.

Archived