Motherwell v Celtic - Wednesday 5th December

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, The OP said:

Motherwell are hammer throwers. There might be perfectly good reasons why, but accept it and move on. I mean the post where I first used the phrase simply pointed out we don’t need Brown and his unimaginative style against teams like yours.

Hoooo boy! 

Well that was daylight robbery but I'll fucking take it. 

I thought we were awful for about 70 minutes tonight and only started coming into things once Main came on but didn't look like doing anything as Celtic were in control and basically taking the piss with their passing about from the back. 

Then Johnson comes up with a fine finish at the death in what was a difficult one to put away given he had to battle for it before getting his shot away, but what a fine placed shot it was giving Gordon no chance.

A very welcome and unexpected point and great to sicken Oily Brendan and his Golden Bhoys late on like that. :)

8 minutes ago, Mr Pikey said:

FTFY

Surprisingly I am not particularly raging in the week we went 2nd in our Europa group, won the League Cup and moved a point off first with two games in hand. I am just expressing my genuinely held opinions, one of which is that we should drop Brown against football teams of limited ability.

Weird game that one - I thought  we tried harder than we did on Saturday but - save for a few wee touches from Turnball, we scarcely strung two passes together all night. Two injuries to defenders in the first ten mins summed up our fitness problems this season and losing a goal when we were down to 10 men was a decent summary of our luck too.

Didn't see the penalty incident through the mad fog, so can't really comment on it but it was nice to see a penalty save - can't really remember the last one of those. Gillespie looks good and goalkeeper looks like one position where injury isn't going to f**k us over. 

Celtic were obviously lulled into a false sense of security by how poor we were because I've rarely seen a team take their foot off the gas to that extent. The period of play where they spent 5 mins fucking about at the back, passing it out the park and generally giving us a wee bit of hope was quite funny. 

Can't get my head around Sammon's inclusion but once again, Johnson looks like he has a lot of potential if he can get fitter - his ratio of 1 goal to 1 chance is exactly why he should be a nailed on starter regardless of who plays with him.

1 point is 1 more than I expected out of this run of fixtures, so a positive night....

54 minutes ago, The OP said:

Surprisingly I am not particularly raging in the week we went 2nd in our Europa group, won the League Cup and moved a point off first with two games in hand. I am just expressing my genuinely held opinions, one of which is that we should drop Brown against football teams of limited ability.

Ooft the arrogance of that statement is  fuckin delusional... limited ability preceded by hammer throwers. When you gonna save Broony's  silky skills for? The CL Final. Pity you can't move to an Atlantic league or the EPL where you could prevent yourselves being dragged down by the likes of us. But you can't and you never will.Fact is you are a big fish in a wee pond. Without the tv money the English clubs get, you'll never get the players you need to progress in Europe. Yer screwed. The good old days ain't ever coming back. This is good as it gets so get used to it. 

Well that was unexpected. The two injuries in 15 minutes sum us up, as does losing a goal when down to 10 men. I think it was a fairly soft penalty. The kind that at the other end isn't even discussed. A good double save from Gillespie from an absolutely shite penalty.  The second half was a strange one. I thought we came out looking far sharper than in the first half and tried to press Celtic a bit more. A big shout out to Celtic's attempts to play it out from the back using Craig Gordon. By some distance the most entertaining 10 minutes watching the gormless b*****ds pass it out the park repeatedly. 

Johnson's goal came from absolutely nothing. Honestly no idea how he managed to get that on target but fair play to him. I also thought Sammon was actually ok. He offered more than Bowman has in about a year. I'm in no way saying that they're great options but I'd start the baldy one if given the choice. 

I've seen Celtic play a couple of times in the last couple of weeks and they're so fucking pedestrian. Thinking back to last year when we drew 1-1 and Carson was playing like a man possessed. Other than the penalty I can't really remember a time where I thought Gillespie was busy. In injury time I was expected it to be backs against the wall but all there was were a couple of aimless punts that basically allowed us to knock about 2 minutes off the clock. Tierney in particular looks like he's doing his best Chris Cadden impression and looks like he's totally plateaued.

Archived