Motherwell v Celtic - Wednesday 5th December

After yesterday's horror show at Livingston this is probably the worst game for us to have next. I honestly fear an absolute pumping of biblical proportions here as we will not cope with their pace and quality in attack and ourselves have no width so have no means of troubling them. Whoever of Johnson/Main/Bowman who starts up front will be easily nullified and we'll be lucky to get a shot on goal never mind on target.

8-0 Celtic.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outside of one bizarre game against St.Johnstone last season, how many teams have actually come to Fir Park and thumped us under Robinson? I’d be surprised if anyone else has won by more than a goal or two.   

I imagine Robinson will have McHugh, Hartley, Rose and maybe even Bowman back in for the ‘battle’ here. As for who drops out, basically pick anyone from Saturday’s shitshow and they could have little complaint. 

I’d expect to see a reaction similar to the Aberdeen performance, whether that’ll be good enough for us to actually get anything is up for debate right enough.

That's true, but given that Rangers took seven off us a few weeks back and they aren't at the same level as Celtic then you've got to think that a similar defeat could well be on the cards here. We've been slightly fortunate in games against Celtic of late that they have gone easy on us when they could have absolutely routed us had they pressed on - the Scottish Cup Final being the prime example of that.

If Celtic score early on Wednesday then they could easily take anything from four to eight off us if they are in the mood. Their pace in attack has the potential to rip us to shreds.

Not a prayer we're scoring on Wednesday unless they chuck one in for us (in fairness they did exactly that in the corresponding fixture last year) and Celtic have been pretty solid defensively of late.

It's a Scottish football match.....anything can happen and with Motherwell if it's often these matches when no one gives us a chance that we actually do something rather than when the OF look wobbly and vulnerable.

My main concern about this one is Celtic's defensive record which is actual very good - 9 clean sheets in 11 league matches - and with us having a less than potent attack it seems unlikely we will score.  That said Rangers came to Fir Park with their defence being praised after their Europa League matches and we put 3 past them so there is always room for an anomaly.

There's also the fact that Celtic might well rest a few first team players and with Rangers now being top of the league, if we can keep the match tight, the crowd might become impatient and get on top of Celtic.  Also playing midweek after a cup win, you can never be sure where a teams head is going to be.

You don't need to tell me this is a poor Motherwell side, I could see that even when we were winning matches and a pumping could well be on the cards, but I've seen poor Motherwell teams beat better Celtic teams than the present one.  

So let's try and get behind the team instead of finding excuses not to go.  If we lose badly by all means release the hounds but the players have to a chance to make amends for Saturday and we as supporters should give them our backing.  If the East Stand is half empty on Wednesday why should the players bother?  

14 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Outside of one bizarre game against St.Johnstone last season, how many teams have actually come to Fir Park and thumped us under Robinson? I’d be surprised if anyone else has won by more than a goal or two.   

I imagine Robinson will have McHugh, Hartley, Rose and maybe even Bowman back in for the ‘battle’ here. As for who drops out, basically pick anyone from Saturday’s shitshow and they could have little complaint. 

I’d expect to see a reaction similar to the Aberdeen performance, whether that’ll be good enough for us to actually get anything is up for debate right enough.

I just had a look there. The biggest winning margin I can see outside of that St Johnstone game is 2 goals and the highest goals against in a win award goes to Accies winning 3-1 on 31st December last year. After that it's the 2-0 loss to Aberdeen prior to the SC semi.

As a general aside I had a look at Robinson's record at Fir Park and the results [clickbait]will shock you...[/clickbait]

Spoiler

Robinson's record at Fir Park (in all competitions) P 40 W 19 D 8 L 13 F 62 A 39 GD +23....

18/03/17 - Motherwell 1-2 St Johnstone (L)
05/04/17 - Motherwell 0-0 Hamilton Accies (X)
15/04/17 - Motherwell 3-2 ICT (W)
29/04/17 - Motherwell 2-3 Dundee (L)
06/05/17 - Motherwell 0-1 Ross County (L)
16/05/17 - Motherwell 3-1 Kilmarnock (W)
22/07/17 - Motherwell 4-0 Morton (W)
29/07/17 - Motherwell 1-0 Berwick Rangers (W)
06/08/17 - Motherwell 1-2 Rangers (L)
19/08/17 - Motherwell 2-0 Ross County (W)
26/08/17 - Motherwell 2-1 Hearts (W)
09/09/17 - Motherwell 2-0 Kilmarnock (W)
21/09/17 - Motherwell 3-0 Aberdeen (W)
24/09/17 - Motherwell 0-1 Aberdeen (L)
30/09/17 - Motherwell 3-0 Partick Thistle (W)
28/10/17 - Motherwell 0-1 Hibs (L)
29/11/17 - Motherwell 1-1 Celtic (X)
23/12/17 - Motherwell 1-1 Dundee (X)
30/12/17 - Motherwell 1-3 Hamilton Accies (L)
20/01/18 - Motherwell 2-0 Hamilton Accies (W)
24/01/18 - Motherwell 2-0 Ross County (W)
03/02/18 - Motherwell 1-1 Partick Thistle (X)
06/02/18 - Motherwell 2-0 St Johnstone (W)
17/02/18 - Motherwell 0-1 Kilmarnock (L)
04/03/18 - Motherwell 2-1 Hearts (W)
18/03/18 - Motherwell 0-0 Celtic (X)
31/03/18 - Motherwell 2-2 Rangers (X)
03/04/18 - Motherwell 0-2 Aberdeen (L)
28/04/18 - Motherwell 2-1 Dundee (W)
05/05/18 - Motherwell 1-5 St Johnstone (L)
12/05/18 - Motherwell 3-0 Hamilton Accies (W)
17/07/18 - Motherwell 5-0 Edinburgh City (W)
24/07/18 - Motherwell 2-0 Queen of the South (W)
11/08/18 - Motherwell 0-1 Hamilton Accies (L)
26/08/18 - Motherwell 3-3 Rangers (X)
15/09/18 - Motherwell 0-1 Hearts (L)
06/10/18 - Motherwell 1-1 Livingston (X)
20/10/18 - Motherwell 0-1 St Johnstone (L)
03/11/18 - Motherwell 1-0 Dundee (W)
24/11/18 - Motherwell 3-0 Aberdeen (W)

Quite aware that this sounds like whataboutery, but I thought it was well known that was a crowd that had piled out the pub next to the ground when it was still largely a Rangers shop, and took that photo on their way past? Wasn't even a matchday.

Back on-topic, if theres less than 4 goals splitting the teams in this i'll be astounded.

Archived