• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
Sign in to follow this  

Relegation dogfight part 16  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who's winning?

• Falkirk
    • Alloa

McKinnon has stated that we play the way we do due to the strength/weakness of our current squad. Can we play more attack minded? It is risky at present and perhaps there was a bit of that at Stenny. I would just try to stick to what we are doing. Not pretty but we are getting points from it

3 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

Sitting deep and playing on the break at home to Alloa. What a time to be alive.

It was quite effective in Inverness. Although I was shocked at how fragile and lazy Caley looked.

I'm quite worried about this game for the same reason I was worried about the Stenny game:  

We seem to do better sitting tight against teams that expect to beat us and focus on being solid at the back and going forward at the right times, with the front two making the most of any space as the opposition push forward.  In games we 'should' be winning (ala Stenny) that game plan doesn't work and we don't seem to able to try go out and attack from the off.  

I don't expect Alloa will be expecting to beat us so won't allow so much space for us to hit on the break - if they sit in and we try to push forward then I fear that our defensive weaknesses will be exposed to quick direct attacks (again).

I hope I'm wrong, this is the sort of game we need to be winning to start building confidence so I hope Ray has a better game plan than whatever the hell he was trying at Stenny.

Can't see many changes to the team unless Prince is fit, hopefully Muirhead doesn't move back into defence as that's a disaster waiting to happen - would happily take a scrappy 1-0 And get one step closer to January.

If McKinnon wants to defend and hit on the break and we win 1-0 that will ding dang do for me.

At this moment in time with the squad limitations I really don't care how we play if we are winning.

Both teams have improved since our last game. It will be interesting to see how Alloa play on a proper size pitch, as the only option the had was to hit it long for Harrison to clear and that shit isn't going to get them anything.

Think we need to be careful but after the stenny result and with rudden being back I think we will win.

The instant teams learn enough to put 2 men on our only forward we are in real trouble though.

I'm quite worried about this game for the same reason I was worried about the Stenny game:  
We seem to do better sitting tight against teams that expect to beat us and focus on being solid at the back and going forward at the right times, with the front two making the most of any space as the opposition push forward.  In games we 'should' be winning (ala Stenny) that game plan doesn't work and we don't seem to able to try go out and attack from the off.  
I don't expect Alloa will be expecting to beat us so won't allow so much space for us to hit on the break - if they sit in and we try to push forward then I fear that our defensive weaknesses will be exposed to quick direct attacks (again).
I hope I'm wrong, this is the sort of game we need to be winning to start building confidence so I hope Ray has a better game plan than whatever the hell he was trying at Stenny.
Can't see many changes to the team unless Prince is fit, hopefully Muirhead doesn't move back into defence as that's a disaster waiting to happen - would happily take a scrappy 1-0 And get one step closer to January.

I can’t see Alloa looking for a draw tbh.
For both teams this is an opportunity to pull clear of the bottom two and Alloa, like ourselves, have picked up decent points away from home....

We don't do sitting in, unless forced to .  the home game against Morton we lost 0-2 and beat them at Greenock 2-0 I think we may do likewise here ! 

as I have said before the wee pitch at home to me has been a mistake and we do have a better away record.

10 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I can’t see Alloa looking for a draw tbh.
For both teams this is an opportunity to pull clear of the bottom two and Alloa, like ourselves, have picked up decent points away from home....

Draws at Inverness, Dumfries and Dunfermline also won at Greenock.

Quite nice we to see we won at 2 of those draws. See which teams struggle at home.

Have to say I'm more concerned with our home form than Alloas away form.

We haven't picked up 3 home points since we beat St Mirren in May and that game was a glorified friendly.

52 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Have to say I'm more concerned with our home form than Alloas away form.

We haven't picked up 3 home points since we beat St Mirren in May and that game was a glorified friendly.

Is poor home form down to pressure on the players from the fans maybe getting on to them or because you try  to attack more at home and the midfield/defence are often found out? 

3 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Is poor home form down to pressure on the players from the fans maybe getting on to them or because you try  to attack more at home and the midfield/defence are often found out? 

It must be the players having the fear to make a mistake because we certainly aren't piling forward at home.

Also as pointed out we tend to be better at counter attacking teams and that doesn't really work at home when teams try to do the same to us.

Edited by Gaz FFC

6 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

It must be the players having the fear to make a mistake because we certainly aren't piling forward at home.

Also as pointed out we tend to be better at counter attacking teams and that doesn't really work at home when teams try to do the same to us.

Alloa fans making noises about them not sitting in and looking to hit on the break, instead playing on the front foot.

I hope that this is true as it will suit our current style perfectly.

Alloa need to win this game as they know that we clearly wont be as shit after the turn of the year.   We need to sit in keep it tight and hit on the break as has been mentioned.  A point isn't a disaster for us but a defeat would be  but 3 points for us would put Alloa in a heap of bother.  The crowd need to realise this though and not start moaning if we dont start all guns blazing. 

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Alloa need to win this game as they know that we clearly wont be as shit after the turn of the year.   We need to sit in keep it tight and hit on the break as has been mentioned.  A point isn't a disaster for us but a defeat would be  but 3 points for us would put Alloa in a heap of bother.  The crowd need to realise this though and not start moaning if we dont start all guns blazing. 

Trying to unite our crowd is impossible (see the arseholes who boo Higgy making him a hero)

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

The emphasis Id guess for most teams is to attack at home, which we really have been trying to do albeit without success due to the dross Hartley left us. The Ross County game is when we got everyone behind the ball and attack on the break which also gave our defence help which is still poor, goals we are losing are criminal and thats without Dallison in the team.

I have bad vibes about Saturday.....

The 2 goals we lost in Inverness were criminal with the 2nd being especially bad.

Although Ray was delighted to get the 3pts he must've pulled his hair out watching those goals.

Even though we have tightened up and picked up some points recently, The team still shows everyone what it needs.

I'm glad we aren't papering over the many cracks by winning comfortably and people thinking the managers tactics were the problem.

19 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I'd certainly say Alloa need the 3pts more as being below us before January would really be a disaster if they think they will stay up.

Be really something to be 8th or higher before 2019

I’m sure Alloa will have a go on the counter attack as I agree they need to win. With our defence they certainly should approach the game with confidence.
I wonder if anyone knows our record at TFS the last couple of years? I tend to recollect someone pointing out how rarely we were winning at home under Houstie even in our latter playoff season. Beginning to think we would be better playing away every week.....