Ross County v Queens

Thats an incredible amount of time and space Stirling is afforded in the box at the equaliser. He makes good movement but its really shoddy defending. 

Not an awful lot we can probably do on the opener. Quick move and a tidy finish. Martin very sharp off his line at the end there too.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Thats an incredible amount of time and space Stirling is afforded in the box at the equaliser. He makes good movement but its really shoddy defending. 

Not an awful lot we can probably do on the opener. Quick move and a tidy finish. Martin very sharp off his line at the end there too.

Yes Martin did very well there.

Very decent point for us.

The highlights just show how criminal our shape and defending was for the Queens goal, nobody followed Stirling, nobody got back anywhere near quickly enough and gave him as much time as he needed to smash it home.

The McManus chance at the end sums him up this season. Keeper comes out and commits, basically begs him to chip it over him into an empty net but he timidly fires it low and straight at the keeper.

38 minutes ago, Comrie said:

The highlights just show how criminal our shape and defending was for the Queens goal, nobody followed Stirling, nobody got back anywhere near quickly enough and gave him as much time as he needed to smash it home.

The McManus chance at the end sums him up this season. Keeper comes out and commits, basically begs him to chip it over him into an empty net but he timidly fires it low and straight at the keeper.

He's got zero confidence.  Looks like Mckay from last season.

I also don't see what Don Cowie brings to the team. The team was unable to replace Gardyne and unable to replace Vigurs.  That's on the managers.  And it's something the fans could see a mile off.  There's no depth to that team at all.

16 minutes ago, Q0S-RUSH said:

Not like me to praise Martin but he certainly earned his wages and us a point yesterday.

Martin made some good saves yeterday but only the type of saves other teams keepers have been making against us all season.

More of that earlier in the season could have earned us more points and dismissed the   ‘ poor defensively ‘ tag.

Even though we are in the top 4 for least goals conceded.......

Dreadful game. With half and hour to go I was tempted to leave so bored was I watching it.

Little incentive to return to watch a performance like that again, but as I have a season ticket I will have to.

County have to step up several gears if we are to progress this season.

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Wasnt at the game so just on the highlights. Actually its really good movement by both forwards  as even watching it I'm drawn to the back post as Stirling nips in front to take it.  Re the opener, not a lot we can do (after giving it away very tamely in the centre circle) on the opener, I agree. And yes, credit where its due Martin looks to have earned his keep there. 

Dreadful game. With half and hour to go I was tempted to leave so bored was I watching it.
Little incentive to return to watch a performance like that again, but as I have a season ticket I will have to.
County have to step up several gears if we are to progress this season.
Aye challenging for the league must be a chore..

Martin made some good saves yeterday but only the type of saves other teams keepers have been making against us all season.
More of that earlier in the season could have earned us more points and dismissed the   ‘ poor defensively ‘ tag.
Even though we are in the top 4 for least goals conceded.......

There's an argument his save at the end was routine* but the one he tipped over the bar was a superb stop and far from routine.

* One on ones can go either way really. He was sharp off his line which gave him the advantage IMO.

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

There's an argument his save at the end was routine* but the one he tipped over the bar was a superb stop and far from routine.

* One on ones can go either way really. He was sharp off his line which gave him the advantage IMO.

In fairness he has taken some stick, as the defence has but over the piece if we have the 4 tightest defence in the league and top 3 for goals scored ( which we currently have) then we really won’t be far away.

I didn’t mean to criticise Martin. Far from it. 

20 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I also don't see what Don Cowie brings to the team. The team was unable to replace Gardyne and unable to replace Vigurs.  That's on the managers.  And it's something the fans could see a mile off.  There's no depth to that team at all.

There was a moment in the first half where Queens were well set in their half and Cowie picked the ball up on the halfway line, with a good 15 yards of space to drive into, commit someone and pick out someone with a pass... he looked left and behind to pass to Watson and left the centre-back to try to make something happen.  This is a guy who has had a career in the top echelons of the English Championship and has 10 caps for Scotland as a midfielder.  That moment summed up how toothless so much of his play has been since his return.  He's an intelligent player in his pressing and and a remarkably unselfish player, but he has to put his stamp on a match in that midfield trio.  Otherwise it puts far too much of an onus on Jamie Lindsay to do everything, and he had a rare off-day in attempting too many one-touch passes in the final third (seeing as no-one else was).  

There's depth but it's all in the centre-forward position.  The team needs other options in attacking midfield roles: Dow and Paton are on loan and either could have been useful; Dingwall isn't going to cut it; DKD had his chance recently.  A chalk-on-the-boots winger with pace on the left would allow Gardyne to come inside again and could solve that.

Archived