Montrose v Rovers

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Watching that I don't see how you blame Davidson for the third, you actually see him run past the goalscorer as he runs past the ref.  

IMO you have to blame your right back Gillespie? He's not went up for the free kick, and despite that a reasonably simple ball has left him miles out of position, Davidson (who has made a far better attempt at getting back having appealed less than Benedictus) then has to come out to cover him, it's not that he's out of position, it's that the other player is simply faster. However due to Davidson being drawn out you're now left with no one in the middle outwith Murray who positions himself absolutely hopelessly. As the boy is about to knock it past Davidson he should really realise that Mathews? Isn't catching Campbell and he needs to angle his run centrally, he does that and Campbell would have at least have had to check his run outside. Due to him carrying on straight though Campbell can cut infront of him, fucked it. 

When that ball is played across you have Davidson where you're right back should be, Gillespie and Benedictus in absolutely no man's land, Murray failing to cover for two centre backs and the other player Mathews? Not getting back in time. Considering Ross Campbell gets overtaken by Davidson in his own half it's gross inadequacy for him to then find himself free in your six yard box in the same move. IMO though it comes down to Gillespie and that initial ball. Your keeper should really be flinging himself at that cross ball aswell, seems to get caught on his heels. Out of all your defenders and keeper Davidson seems the least at fault. 

I'd like it if Petrie could be the next Pars manager though. 

Yeah, the fact that Davidson is on his arse in their box at the start of the move and ends up being our furthest back players doesn't reflect well on anyone else.  

9 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Davidson booting the ball away at Full Time is great

Raith were very good at that, even during the game. They must have spent their full time week seeing who could kick the ball furthest out of the ground.

I witnessed the disaster at Forfar then the same at East Fife , so gave Montrose a miss. Think the team needs to realise tip tap football isn’t going to get us out of this league, we are being bullied week in week out by teams who simply want it more than us and here begs the question what’s the point in being full time when we are losing to part time teams on a regular basis and who are in fact just as capable/ good as ourselves.

Big Yogi was right after the St Mirren game when he stated that the team lacks passion and desire and 2 seasons down the line we are still showing these same characteristics within the team I think some of these players need to realise they aren’t as good as they think they are. If we matched every other teams commitment, desire we would certainly be a lot closer to Arbroath than we are just now but hats off to Arbroath what a run they are on at the moment it puts our so called full time professional to shame

I witnessed the disaster at Forfar then the same at East Fife , so gave Montrose a miss. Think the team needs to realise tip tap football isn’t going to get us out of this league, we are being bullied week in week out by teams who simply want it more than us and here begs the question what’s the point in being full time when we are losing to part time teams on a regular basis and who are in fact just as capable/ good as ourselves.
Big Yogi was right after the St Mirren game when he stated that the team lacks passion and desire and 2 seasons down the line we are still showing these same characteristics within the team I think some of these players need to realise they aren’t as good as they think they are. If we matched every other teams commitment, desire we would certainly be a lot closer to Arbroath than we are just now but hats off to Arbroath what a run they are on at the moment it puts our so called full time professional to shame

As the years go on I think more teams have became more proffesional, in general keeping fit and being healthy now is pretty mainstream I'd say. I even do an hour a day, part time guys will be doing a lot of extra fitness stuff. End of day can earn them a lot of extra income if they put effort in.

I agree with the above two comments. I certainly know quite a few part-time players who wouldn't contemplate going full-time especially in Scotland. It they are any good/young enough they might (might?) make it to the top but mostly they will wallow around at the lower end of the full-time scenario but eventually have to find a proper job along with part-time football. The wiser guys stay part-time and have a reasonably well paid job as well which they can carry on with in retirement or in the case of long term injury. That doesn't mean they are not better players than some full-timers, because some are. An example without naming names bangs in goals for fun at a club north of Montrose and he's been doing that for years - but also has a successful business.

A bit different in England where even tier 5 full-time players are on decent wages but even then some choose to stay part-time. Not meaning to be nasty but at Raith Rovers who are full-time, how many of the present squad are likely to go on and make it to the top level, and how many are full-time there because they can't find a higher level club? Having said that I can see why Raith choose to stay full-time because they do have ambitions to rise up to the Championship and above to compete with the best again - like they used to years ago. Two things against that however are firstly they still have a long way to go and secondly, and mosdt importantly, the structure of Scottish football is not at present likely to allow it.

Having smaller divisions is a disaster for clubs who at one time regularly rubbed shoulders with the best albeit as yo-yo clubs. They still had the chance to attract players who could experience top level football which in turn meant there was a much bigger pool of decent clubs and players than there is now. That has also adversely affected the national side as well though there are other reasons for that as well, I accept. Look at clubs like Dunfermline, Dundee United, Clyde, Falkirk, Stirling Albion, Queen of the South, Partick Thistle, Ayr United, Morton, Arbroath - and I'll have missed a few more. Some or most of those now have little or no chance of making it or making a mark at the top level in the current small divisions. I might be wrong but ask yourself just what has 4 small divisions done for the benefit of Scottish football overall?

I agree with the above two comments. I certainly know quite a few part-time players who wouldn't contemplate going full-time especially in Scotland. It they are any good/young enough they might (might?) make it to the top but mostly they will wallow around at the lower end of the full-time scenario but eventually have to find a proper job along with part-time football. The wiser guys stay part-time and have a reasonably well paid job as well which they can carry on with in retirement or in the case of long term injury. That doesn't mean they are not better players than some full-timers, because some are. An example without naming names bangs in goals for fun at a club north of Montrose and he's been doing that for years - but also has a successful business.
A bit different in England where even tier 5 full-time players are on decent wages but even then some choose to stay part-time. Not meaning to be nasty but at Raith Rovers who are full-time, how many of the present squad are likely to go on and make it to the top level, and how many are full-time there because they can't find a higher level club? Having said that I can see why Raith choose to stay full-time because they do have ambitions to rise up to the Championship and above to compete with the best again - like they used to years ago. Two things against that however are firstly they still have a long way to go and secondly, and mosdt importantly, the structure of Scottish football is not at present likely to allow it.
Having smaller divisions is a disaster for clubs who at one time regularly rubbed shoulders with the best albeit as yo-yo clubs. They still had the chance to attract players who could experience top level football which in turn meant there was a much bigger pool of decent clubs and players than there is now. That has also adversely affected the national side as well though there are other reasons for that as well, I accept. Look at clubs like Dunfermline, Dundee United, Clyde, Falkirk, Stirling Albion, Queen of the South, Partick Thistle, Ayr United, Morton, Arbroath - and I'll have missed a few more. Some or most of those now have little or no chance of making it or making a mark at the top level in the current small divisions. I might be wrong but ask yourself just what has 4 small divisions done for the benefit of Scottish football overall?

Agree with this on so many levels but I really like the smaller leagues, makes everything more exciting in my opinion. The league we are in now is fantastic everything to play for right till the end. In fact I think the final day in this league could be some laugh, there'll be clubs within a whisker of the promotion and relegation play offs I'd bet.

When Davidson went down and the ball was loose. Davo had to run back asap. What worries,me is the fact that he ran throughout the midfield to get back. Where was the cover ?? The fact the rest of then just looked like a bunch of lazy b*****ds. Wedderburn is horse shit, no pace , can't jump and he gets to about 60 minutes and is blowing out his arse. This is basic stuff, the fact that Davo got back pretty much alongside the forward as the ball was being crossed says a lot about the commitment of the rest of the team in way if effort do give that bit extra.  

Archived