Montrose v Rovers

Hopefully the Mo have started to get to terms with L1 now after years of meandering around the quality-less L2. Playing with 3 up front (as I said earlier in this thread) makes a helluva difference as the ball sticks up top longer, more to aim at, more chance of  shot or getting a second ball, opposition defenders have to defend more and it relieves the pressure on our own defence. Not rocket science really. Also having experience in midfield (Watson, Cregg and Masson) makes a helluva difference as well in front of a fairly solid back line. The difference for me though is playing three up front.

I actually though Raith were a good side in the first half and I was relieved to go in level at half time. They were sharper than Mo and looked to have some quality players but without a significant goal threat. With the wind though I expected them to pull the trigger more often but even when they did they were high and wide.

Second half was quite different. The Mo took the game to Raith who became ragged and lost their shape. By the time Mo got their second goal Raith has lost their way but their second goal was a peach.

Final word about the referee today. Not one of the best in my opinion bearing in mind his experience. Too many petty free kicks and several wrong decisions both ways I thought. Still, not unusual these days I suppose and still a lot better standard than in L2.

Still think Raith will be in the play-off shake up but they must keep their shape and composure. They did neither today.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, MOFOREVER said:

Final word about the referee today. Not one of the best in my opinion bearing in mind his experience. Too many petty free kicks and several wrong decisions both ways I thought. Still, not unusual these days I suppose and still a lot better standard than in L2.

Alan Newlands I believe it was had the Montrose game, the few times I have seen him in have not been particularly impressed.

I spoke to someone who was at Uniteds  win at Ross County where he was in charge.  The impression I got was he lost all control with a series of bizarre decisions and use of cards.

For the avoidance of doubt it's the 79th minute and the full time team is in yellow.
Capture2.PNG.260b9b392045762018cb27ba567b52d6.PNG
Capture4.PNG.60e765de2f307009565db015f77b9d74.PNG
Capture6.PNG.2b9ba53bbf4f7c1365b8ebd575502caa.PNG
From what I watched on the highlights it was davo being an idiot lying down when he should have been up and running back into position that cost us in that move. Had he been up earlier he should have been in position to make the tackle. The fact we are full time has f**k all to do with it. It's the idiots we are employing full time that are the issue.

I honestly don't understand why so many of our fans love to shout that we're full time. What difference does it make when we have an unbalanced squad full of players who aren't up for the battle? When we won the league under mcglynn years ago every player would chuck themselves in front of every shot, we don't have that these days and that's something I noticed arbroath doing when we played them.

Mcglynn needs time to build on the squad he has. We won't catch arbroath, but we were never going to. Their form is ridiculous. It's probably why the players he is signing up so far are tighed up till 2020...

3 minutes ago, grumswall said:

From what I watched on the highlights it was davo being an idiot lying down when he should have been up and running back into position that cost us in that move. Had he been up earlier he should have been in position to make the tackle. The fact we are full time has f**k all to do with it. It's the idiots we are employing full time that are the issue.

I honestly don't understand why so many of our fans love to shout that we're full time. What difference does it make when we have an unbalanced squad full of players who aren't up for the battle? When we won the league under mcglynn years ago every player would chuck themselves in front of every shot, we don't have that these days and that's something I noticed arbroath doing when we played them.

Mcglynn needs time to build on the squad he has. We won't catch arbroath, but we were never going to. Their form is ridiculous. It's probably why the players he is signing up so far are tighed up till 2020...

Whilst catching Arbroath was going to be a tall order, it should easily be in our reach to be 6/7 points behind. That would have made the game at Gayfield all the more vital. 

Whilst catching Arbroath was going to be a tall order, it should easily be in our reach to be 6/7 points behind. That would have made the game at Gayfield all the more vital. 

With such an unbalanced squad do you think Smith would have us as close? Is mcglynn actually to blame?

What the camera doesn't show there is the fact that  No 10 Ross Cambell had run from his own goal line  from about 15 seconds earlier to get on the end of that cross. 

To be honest, Raith had a good claim for a penalty because RC had a fair old wrestle with Rovers No 5 just before he scored.

14 minutes ago, grumswall said:
17 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

With such an unbalanced squad do you think Smith would have us as close? Is mcglynn actually to blame?

I don't think Smith would have done any better, there were some pretty huge warning signs in the league Cup games. 

There comes a point however when it's not right to just blame Smith. Yesterday was dire, really really bad in that second half and the players on the pitch should have been doing better. Not really due to an imbalance in the squad, just players really underperforming.  It's up to Mcglynn to get the best out of these players. There was a lot said about knowing Montrose inside out, analysing them etc. He also said after the game that they played exactly as he thought. So there's obviously a real disconnect between what's being worked on in training and what's happening on the pitch as that type of preperation simply wasn't evident. 

If we are looking to bring players in during the window a centre back and a right back are absolutely essential. Also wouldn't mind seeing one of the other keepers have a go. It's obvious in recent weeks that the defence just don't gave faith in Thomson. 

What the camera doesn't show there is the fact that  No 10 Ross Cambell had run from his own goal line  from about 15 seconds earlier to get on the end of that cross. 
To be honest, Raith had a good claim for a penalty because RC had a fair old wrestle with Rovers No 5 just before he scored.
Kind of in a round about way shows my point. Campbell has had the desire to make that run while davo was happy to look for something that wasn't being given. We don't have the personnel willing to do that right now. We have a fair bit technical ability in Nisbet, Armstrong and flannagan and Vaughan if he can get fit etc but that needs to be balanced with the rest of the team playing "the John mcglynn way" of chucking themselves in front of everything.

I think we have better technical players in the league than any other team and despite his form I include linn in that because Vaughan is better technically Imo. But we don't have the cohesion that arbroath have. We don't have the ballance or depth that they do either and we don't have the mental aptitude to go out and grind out wins week in week out. That isn't a full time/ part time issue, that's a balance/ mental issue. I don't think many will agree with me but that is my take on it.

I don't think Smith would have done any better, there were some pretty huge warning signs in the league Cup games. 
There comes a point however when it's not right to just blame Smith. Yesterday was dire, really really bad in that second half and the players on the pitch should have been doing better. Not really due to an imbalance in the squad, just players really underperforming.  It's up to Mcglynn to get the best out of these players. There was a lot said about knowing Montrose inside out, analysing them etc. He also said after the game that they played exactly as he thought. So there's obviously a real disconnect between what's being worked on in training and what's happening on the pitch as that type of preperation simply wasn't evident. 
If we are looking to bring players in during the window a centre back and a right back are absolutely essential. Also wouldn't mind seeing one of the other keepers have a go. It's obvious in recent weeks that the defence just don't gave faith in Thomson. 
Have to agree Thomson has looked poor the past few weeks. I had said he was looking decent before hand aswell... Davo and bene aren't a great partnership but I do think they are having to cover for both full backs more than they should be which is taking them wider allowing a bigger gap/ more space for attackers to exploit. They both have no trust in Thomson which having been a 'keeper (some would say I still am) is vital in that partnership. I really do feel we have the talent but not the desire or workmanship needed in the team to play how mcglynn will want us to defensively. There really is just so much you can do on a training pitch but without the desire it won't work on a Saturday.

Speaking about desire and ambition from players...

That goal where Davo is on the ground and the player runs the length of the field? I don’t see that as much Davos fault tbh. Where is the cover for him? How is he the first defender back there after lying on the floor for a bit. The team just don’t want to play for each other!

Speaking about desire and ambition from players...

That goal where Davo is on the ground and the player runs the length of the field? I don’t see that as much Davos fault tbh. Where is the cover for him? How is he the first defender back there after lying on the floor for a bit. The team just don’t want to play for each other!
I'm far from a davo hater and i do agree there was a lack of cover, but he shouldn't be arms out looking for a foul that wasn't given. Get off your belly and get back into position. He was out of position because of that. He was much more noticeable because of his daft blondeness that he's so fond off[emoji23]

I generally think we're struggling for a 'keeper that inspires confidence. Thomson, mcgurn and cuthbert second season all did that but I can't think of many others in my 20+ years supporting the club. Look at the names mentioned and. I think that tells its own story.

Watching that I don't see how you blame Davidson for the third, you actually see him run past the goalscorer as he runs past the ref.  

IMO you have to blame your right back Gillespie? He's not went up for the free kick, and despite that a reasonably simple ball has left him miles out of position, Davidson (who has made a far better attempt at getting back having appealed less than Benedictus) then has to come out to cover him, it's not that he's out of position, it's that the other player is simply faster. However due to Davidson being drawn out you're now left with no one in the middle outwith Murray who positions himself absolutely hopelessly. As the boy is about to knock it past Davidson he should really realise that Mathews? Isn't catching Campbell and he needs to angle his run centrally, he does that and Campbell would have at least have had to check his run outside. Due to him carrying on straight though Campbell can cut infront of him, fucked it. 

When that ball is played across you have Davidson where you're right back should be, Gillespie and Benedictus in absolutely no man's land, Murray failing to cover for two centre backs and the other player Mathews? Not getting back in time. Considering Ross Campbell gets overtaken by Davidson in his own half it's gross inadequacy for him to then find himself free in your six yard box in the same move. IMO though it comes down to Gillespie and that initial ball. Your keeper should really be flinging himself at that cross ball aswell, seems to get caught on his heels. Out of all your defenders and keeper Davidson seems the least at fault. 

I'd like it if Petrie could be the next Pars manager though. 

Archived