Montrose v Rovers

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really enjoyed that and well worth the £15.
Rennie's free kick and Nisbet'sfinish were both quality.
Two teams pressing and the first 5 minutes I thought we might be onto a bit of a hiding. Credit to the midfield for wresting control back and stopping Rovers playing.
2nd half there was only 1 team winning. Motm for me was Paul Watson.
Good travelling support, enjoyed the day and now on the piss looking up the table.
Petrie is different class.

Good, hard working performance and I think we merited the points fully.

Looked like it might be a long afternoon when Raith scored very early-far too cheap and easy a goal with their forward left almost unattended at the far post to rifle high into the net. But that seemed to galvanise us and soon we were back in the game when CJ curled a millimetre perfect howitzer of a free kick into the top left hand corner.

Beyond that, we were on top for most of the game. Raith had a lot of the ball in the middle of the park but couldn’t do much with it. Masson and Watson were hard in the challenge today and needed to be:Raith were niggly, petulant and referee-bothering throughout. Can’t help but feel if they’d concentrated more on their game and less on trying to influence the referee, they might have done better.

Our second had been coming for a while, we played with a great tempo and crisp passing. A delightful ball from Watson set up the second, with a ball played across the goal and met again by the tireless CH, who dinked his shot just as the keeper was on the point of getting a hand to it, over him and in.

Raith pushed back after that and had a few free kicks on the edge of our box that were blasted over. Inevitably the equaliser came when we just couldn’t get a corner clear and maddeningly the ball was pushed beyond a helpless Fleming in goal. 2-2. Montrose sides of recent memory would have settled for that, but our lads today were determined to see their superiority reflected in the shoreline.

The winner was a thing of greatness. Ross Campbell had just come in for CJ (no booing in our section of the crowd). He’d barely been on for a minute when young Henderson burst clear on a run down the left, SK fed the ball across the face of goal, and there was the assistant manager at the far post to deflect the ball in on the slide 3-2 and absolute pandemonium at the beach end, I haven’t celebrated a winner like that in a long time.

There was still time for Raith to make an arse of a couple of set pieces. We managed the last minutes effectively. Genuinely pleasing to see the white jerseyed keeper and the loathsome bleached “Davo” seething at the full time whistle.

A really hard working, committed performance today and a great three points. CJ officially man of the match but Paul Watson and Euan Henderson must have run him close.

A drink or two tonight I think!

Group of inebriated Raith fans at the train station now singing 'we're not going up'. On that performance, they sure ain't. I thought we were more than competitive and deserved the points, a really good display of running and effort. Raith waaaaay less than the sum of their parts, and easy to see why the dreaded smokies are that far ahead of them at the moment.

Bring on the farmers....

Rennies free kick - sublime

My favourite part of that is at 14 seconds when all the boys chasing Martin all jump at the same time.

Great strike. He needs a long run in the team for his confidence, and it's starting to show.

Sent from my HTC One A9s using Tapatalk

John McGlynn claiming it will be a scalp if we won the day, knew us inside out haha
From going a goal down we rightly got back level.  2nd half there was only going to be one winner, we seem to of found our feet now in this division and are pushing teams.  

Special mention to Euan Henderson another superb performance 

Aside from the great assist for the third goal, he was pretty shite the whole game

36 minutes ago, jd_mo said:

My favourite part of that is at 14 seconds when all the boys chasing Martin all jump at the same time.

Great strike. He needs a long run in the team for his confidence, and it's starting to show.

Sent from my HTC One A9s using Tapatalk

Well done for catching the MOment.

That tactic of playing the short goal kick to Davidson so he can lump the ball forward to nobody is really, really bad. 

Don't really agree with Mcglynns summary of the game.  First half was even enough, and as always seems to be the case away from home, one team came out and wanted it far more after the break. 

Mcglynn said a lot during the week about analysis and knowing exactly how Montrose will play, said after the game that they played exactly as he thought, yet what happened on the pitch showed not one bit of that preperation. 

It's quite incredible how a group of players can regress so considerably based on not playing at Starks Park, and do it consistently over three seasons now.  

Archived