Montrose v Rovers

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my best memories of watching Montrose in over 40 years was against Raith. A league cup tie in the late 70s. We went down to Starks Park on a Wednesday night and got absolutely hammered 3-0. We were so bad we were lucky to get nil.

In the second leg Rovers scored first to go 4-0 up on aggregate. 

God only knows what happened but Montrose rallied and went on to win 5-1 on the night and go through 5-4 on aggregate.  A truly great night for us. 

7 hours ago, PortyMo said:

One of my best memories of watching Montrose in over 40 years was against Raith. A league cup tie in the late 70s. We went down to Starks Park on a Wednesday night and got absolutely hammered 3-0. We were so bad we were lucky to get nil.

God only knows what happened but Montrose rallied and went on to win 5-1 on the night and go through 5-4 on aggregate.  A truly great night for us. 

I remember it well (1978 I think) League cup 1st or 2nd round, it was Gordon Wallace's 1st game back at Links Park as Rovers manager. I wasn't even 10 at the time and remember being a tad upset at the result. Bertie Miller and Bobby Ford both playing for the Mo who Wallace would later sign for us.  Miller scored if I recall correctly.

7 hours ago, PortyMo said:

A great night indeed, with lots of terracing high jinks to add to the excitement :)

I think Montrose were 2-0 up and we pulled it back to 2-2.
Shaun Strang was, in my humble opinion, dug meat. Couldn't hit a coo on the arse with a banjo. We brought him on and I was sure the game was lost, so was delighted to see him score in the last few minutes. Always liked him.

Archived