Montrose v Rovers

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were probably a wee bit fortunate to take a point in the home game in September and, unlike us, Montrose managed to build on a good start at Methil and comfortably saw off East Fife. 

However, if we have any aspirations of catching Arbroath, we have to win this. 

Crane, Vaughan and Hendry are the only three out now assuming there were no more injuries collected at the weekend.

Feels good to have ‘only’ three players unavailable but Vaughan and Hendry are two of the best players in the league - if not the best two - so it’s still unfortunate.

I think the McGlynnterview of last week suggested Crane had a chance of making this one. Be interesting to see if Gillespie stays at RB if so and Murray drops out, or if Matthews/Wedderburn are dropped from CM.

Hopefully Thomson and Benedictus who both took some treatment on Saturday are OK.

4 minutes ago, mo83 said:

I fancy us to get something from the game.

You might well be right if SP sticks to starting with 3 up front. It made a big difference at East Fife when the ball stuck upfield more and took the otherwise constant pressure off the defence. Also more experience in the middle of the park was a key factor.

This will be a really tough game, Montrose are probably the most impressive side I’ve seen this season. They were very well organised at Stark’s. Cuthbert being in charge and Nisbet playing at wing back probably didn’t help us mind you.

We’re greatly improved since that game with the management change and the signings. The side has a lot more balance now. If Crane is fit I’d bring him in for Murray in a straight swap but I don’t think McGlynn will change a winning team and I have no problem with that.

Any sort of win will do, can see it being extremely tight, would bite your hand off for a 1-0 right now. We really need to win both games before we play Arbroath if we are to keep up any sort of hopes of catching them.

You might well be right if SP sticks to starting with 3 up front.

I’d be delighted if you stick with 3 up front.
We can generally use the pace and quality of our forward players to exploit teams that try to come at us, it’s when teams are tight and sit in that we generally struggle to break them down.

Must win. Have a feeling that the next three games are absolutely season defining. It could be game over at 13/15 or more points. Or a few dropped points from Arbroath (surely they have to come some time ffs!) and us winning all three could see us within a few points. 

This will be a really tough game, Montrose are probably the most impressive side I’ve seen this season. They were very well organised at Stark’s. Cuthbert being in charge and Nisbet playing at wing back probably didn’t help us mind you.
We’re greatly improved since that game with the management change and the signings. The side has a lot more balance now. If Crane is fit I’d bring him in for Murray in a straight swap but I don’t think McGlynn will change a winning team and I have no problem with that.
Any sort of win will do, can see it being extremely tight, would bite your hand off for a 1-0 right now. We really need to win both games before we play Arbroath if we are to keep up any sort of hopes of catching them.

Were they? My main memory of that game is them injuring Gillespie and Vaughan, and Cuthbert showing he wasn't up for the managers gig as you mention. I'd say Arbroath and East Fife looked miles ahead.

7 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Were they? My main memory of that game is them injuring Gillespie and Vaughan, and Cuthbert showing he wasn't up for the managers gig as you mention. I'd say Arbroath and East Fife looked miles ahead.

Each to their own I suppose. It appears everyone seems to injure Vaughan these days but I can’t remember the treatment being overly rough.

I thought for a team with no stand out players and having just been promoted they were very good. Really well organised, defended well, looked a threat on the break. Also looked dangerous and quite inventive from every set piece. 

Maybe it’s just relative to my expectations before the game. I expect tough games against East Fife and Arbroath. With the greatest of respect to Montrose, I didn’t expect much from them at all. They were far better than I thought they’d be and definitely deserved the point.

5 minutes ago, Easy Days for Raith said:

anyone know what the ticket prices are for this game??

Adults - £15

Concessions - £8

Family admission - £18 (1 adult and 1 Under 16)

http://www.montrosefc.co.uk/index.php/auto-generate-from-title/admission-prices

Archived