Ayr Utd vs ICT - Friday Night Football

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Hate to say it, but I think the game could/should be called off.  BBC still forecasting 50 mph winds this evening.  Can’t play football in that.

Yeah think this could still be in doubt, to be gusting 50 at 6 and back down to 40 by kick off, would say it's probably right on the borderline.

At the end of the day if goal kicks are being taken and the ball is going backwards in the air it's just going to descend into a farce, not expecting people to be watching glamorous football on BT that's for sure.

Only change I'd consider is McGuffie for Geggan, but that depends how strong Inverness are down their left - I admit to not knowing.

Their first choice left back Tremarco is out injured. No idea who plays in front of him though. Might be Tom Walsh.

1 hour ago, JohnGAYR said:

BBC predicting 50+ mph at present but no where near that.

The currently observed wind speeds on the BBC website are the average speeds, whereas the forecast shows potential maximum speed of gusts. An average wind speed of 25mph will produce gusts of about 50mph.

Edited to add - the hourly forecast normally shows the average wind speed as well, but they change it when high winds are forecast. The difference is that forecast gusts are in a black circle whereas average win speeds are in a white one.

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

The currently observed wind speeds on the BBC website are the average speeds, whereas the forecast shows potential maximum speed of gusts. An average wind speed of 25mph will produce gusts of about 50mph.

We had a game called off against Stenhousemuir for gusts rather than the wind.  

Some memories of games against Ayr over the years.

coming back from 3-0 down at half-time to win a cup tie 4-3.

Beating them 7-3 the same season.

Losing 5-1 at Somerset with Ross Tokely getting sent off after ten minute and Paterson sending him to sit on the bus :lol:

Coming back from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 in Steve Paterson's last ever game.

To be honest, it just makes me miss having Steve Paterson as our manager more than anything.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Losing 5-1 at Somerset with Ross Tokely getting sent off after ten minute and Paterson sending him to sit on the bus :lol:

To be honest, it just makes me miss having Steve Paterson as our manager more than anything.

The first two you mention were my first two ever 'long haul' away games haha.   That 4-3 cup tie was brutal.  All 7 goals at the opposite end of the ground as well so hardly saw any action!

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I was at all of those games.  The 5-1 was a November midweek in 2001.  A bunch of us went down on the supporters bus after school.  In fact, we would've left school at lunchtime.

Nothing will beat the 7-0 in 2010 though.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I was at all of those games.  The 5-1 was a November midweek in 2001.  A bunch of us went down on the supporters bus after school.  In fact, we would've left school at lunchtime.

Nothing will beat the 7-0 in 2010 though.

I didn't make the 2010 game as my dad was in hospital.  Very selfish of him to require a life saving operation that week.

I was at University in 2001, I got the train down for the 5-1 game and met my mate who lived in Ayr.  I don't think I've ever been as drunk at a game, I'm sure I was drinking Buckfast on the terracing.

We play mostly on the deck so the wind shouldn't be too much of an issue. Anyway, it's hardly a hurricane that's being forecast so I really can't see any reason why the match should be off and it should really be no worse than the 4-4 match against Dumbarton a couple of seasons back.

Archived