athens

highlandcowden

The Acropolis is a must see. Try and go early to avoid the crowds.

The Panathenaic Stadium is the site of the first modern Olympic Games. It was an unexpected highlight. Really photogenic too.

Easy to find decent food - wee unassuming-looking backstreet places serving food that's a class above any Greek restaurant I've eaten at in Scotland.

Also if you're travelling on the underground, keep a close eye on your stuff. We were warned about this before we went. On the first journey we went on a couple sitting opposite us (also tourists) had their wallet and phone stolen while they sat there.

I went to Athens at this time of year about 4 years ago. The weather was very pleasant, although locals did think I was mad going about without a jacket! I agree about being very careful if travelling on the Metro. Someone unsuccessfully tried to get my purse but an older guy on the train in from the airport was not so fortunate. Athens itself is a great place to visit and easy to cover on foot - the Acropolis is a must and I would recommend taking the tram out to Palaio Faliro to visit the floating naval museum which has the ships Georgios Averof and Velos. I enjoyed a day trip to Delphi but it is probably too much for a 4 day visit. Better to just explore the different neighbourhoods of Athens. At this time of year it is definitely worth visiting Technopolis, an old gas factory in the Gazi neighbourhood which has been transformed into a cultural venue and industrial museum. In December it is the site of a Christmas village, best seen when lit up at night, and there is a buzzing nightlife nearby. It is easy to eat well for little as long as you avoid the tourist traps. I had a fantastic meal at Gevomai Kai Magevomai (Nileos, Thisio).  The Greeks eat very late and portions are massive. 

• 8 months later...

It's got the fucking Parthenon, of course it's worth a visit. The modern Athens is very much a standard European big city; plenty to see, do, eat and drink but there's nothing out of the ordinary. 

Taking a ferry from Piraeus to one of the nearby islands is a good way to escape the heat (and pollution) of the city on a summer's afternoon. Aegina is about an hour away by boat and has got some good beaches and tavernas a short walk from the pier, the boat journey out there is also fairly scenic as well. 

31 minutes ago, virginton said:

It's got the fucking Parthenon, of course it's worth a visit. The modern Athens is very much a standard European big city; plenty to see, do, eat and drink but there's nothing out of the ordinary. 

Taking a ferry from Piraeus to one of the nearby islands is a good way to escape the heat (and pollution) of the city on a summer's afternoon. Aegina is about an hour away by boat and has got some good beaches and tavernas a short walk from the pier, the boat journey out there is also fairly scenic as well. 

Cheers! Will probably go in October/ November so shouldnt be as hot as it is now