East Fife v Montrose

Montrose deserved the win .Showed far more appetite for the game.Dont know if it was complacency with East ZFife but they didn’t win a tackle all day.The ball over the top caused problems all day and showed up the lack of pace of Dunlop and Kane.Meggat’s reading of the game badly missed.The Smith miss summed it up.There have been too many unnecessary changes.

What an absolutely appalling display from East Fife today but credit to Montrose. They chased and harried us the whole game and we could not cope with it. No blame on the goalkeeper today, defence was run ragged looking slow and sluggish, I assume Watson was replaced at half time due to injury cos he is the only player who shows a bit of football intelligence, Docherty, has he been shoehorned into the left back position in order that the manager can get him playing at any cost cos he does not look comfortable, worth trying Slattery back in there, midfield totally ineffective and finally nothing upfront. Even Ross Campbell, who could not get a game in a bad East Fife team a couple of seasons ago, strolled through the game actually taking the piss a few times.

I am afraid that Court has not shown anything yet to justify him playing, in fact has he got a league goal yet, Smith missed an absolute sitter which would have made it interesting in the latter stages but if we had taken anything from the game today it would have been theft on a grand scale. The substitutions made us look even more disjointed than we were in the first half. Linton a good left back goes on in midfield not sure if it was central or right side but did not do him any favours. Dowds perhaps a slight improvement but out on the right wing.

Totally abject performance, surely can't be that bad again!!!!!

ps referee Ronconne did his best to keep down the standard of refereeing in Scotland through all leagues but in no way was the reason we lost . Montrose were MILES better than us.

What an absolutely appalling display from East Fife today but credit to Montrose. They chased and harried us the whole game and we could not cope with it. No blame on the goalkeeper today, defence was run ragged looking slow and sluggish, I assume Watson was replaced at half time due to injury cos he is the only player who shows a bit of football intelligence, Docherty, has he been shoehorned into the left back position in order that the manager can get him playing at any cost cos he does not look comfortable, worth trying Slattery back in there, midfield totally ineffective and finally nothing upfront. Even Ross Campbell, who could not get a game in a bad East Fife team a couple of seasons ago, strolled through the game actually taking the piss a few times.
I am afraid that Court has not shown anything yet to justify him playing, in fact has he got a league goal yet, Smith missed an absolute sitter which would have made it interesting in the latter stages but if we had taken anything from the game today it would have been theft on a grand scale. The substitutions made us look even more disjointed than we were in the first half. Linton a good left back goes on in midfield not sure if it was central or right side but did not do him any favours. Dowds perhaps a slight improvement but out on the right wing.
ps referee Ronconne did his best to keep down the standard of refereeing in Scotland through all leagues but in no way was the reason we lost . Montrose were MILES better than us.

Was going to come on and give my tuppence worth, but I would pretty much be repeating this!!!
I was right in saying that Montrose couldn't keep up the pace which they played at in the 1st half but it didn't matter they had the game won by then, even at 0-1, they slowed right down and then reorganised themselves into what looked like two solid banks of 5 and we could break them down!!!
Well done Montrose, you obviously had a game plan and you stuck to it, and got the win you deserved, the penalty was just the icing on the cake as you would have won 1-0 anyway, we could still be out there yet and we wouldn't have scored!!!

Also the Montrose number 22 is a narky little c**t, but I would have him in our team, he is exactly the type of player we are missing in the middle!!!

Firstly congratulations to Montrose. They wanted it more than us and were well organised and difficult to break down. Got their tactics spot on by closing us down quickly all over the park, then in the last 15 had 2 banks of 5 and said common see if you can break us down which forced EF to pass square and back.
Now to us ........... Yes Montrose didn’t let us play the way we wanted to but right from the start they looked like the team that wanted it more. Losing the early goal didn’t help us and we resorted to long balls forward or trying World Cup 50 yard passes. We looked devoid of ideas at times and too often players were not on the same wavelength in terms of anticipating passes and runs. We better get used to teams working out where our strengths lie and how they can combat them. We have to have plans b & c if plan a is not working and that doesn’t just mean playing boys out of position. Whilst Anton Dodds has done a job at times out wide, he’s better through the middle. We defo missed Meggatt badly, just as we did at Dumbarton. His experience, composure and ability to get the best out of others around him is massive for us as a team. Craig Watson who has been excellent this season also looked a shadow of his former self today.
Hopefully it’s just a blip, but I must admit, I fear that teams have got us sussed and confidence is starting to disappear. I think the team needs a bit of a shake up for next week and Darren Young must forget who his friends are because on a Saturday they are his players and he must put the best 11 on the park.
After winning 8 on the bounce we have struggled to get a settled team week on week due to injuries and suspension, but this will affect every team at some point. We need to get back to winning ways, next week and I would start the following 11
Long
Watson. Dunlop Meggatt. Linton
Davidson. Slattery
Currie. Agnew Smith
Dowds

Subs - McDowall, Dunsmore, Docherty, Kane, Bell, Court & Watt

The next three games will determine whether we can push on for a play-off spot or we will become embroiled in a battle with the teams below us. Cmon the Fife !

1 hour ago, King Kebab said:

Also the Montrose number 22 is a narky little c**t, but I would have him in our team, he is exactly the type of player we are missing in the middle!!!

Patrick Cregg really has come on to game and was again outstanding in the middle of the park.  

We were really really poor today but that would be taking credit from Montrose who I have to say are the best side I have seen at Bayview this season. First to ever second ball & fed off big Rennie all day. Their fans should feel very pleased tonight

Simply not good enough to compete with an impressive Montrose side who were too good for us! Well done Montrose, well deserved 3 points. Massive improvement needed if we're to make play offs. Really disappointed but that's East Fife for you. Next game can't come quick enough

Regarding Johnny court what’s your thoughts on him and how’s he been performing? I was surprised East Fife signed him as he isn’t good enough at division 1 level if your needing a goal scorer fair play he runs a lot and likes being physical with opposing defenders but that’s it

I don't think I've ever read such complimentary comments from fans of a team we've just beaten. Fair play to you Fifers at a time you must be well gutted by the result.

Yes, Montrose were well organised today with Sean Dillon marshalling everything at the back, older experienced lads Paddy Cregg and Paul Watson sorting out the middle line then Montrose starting with 3 up front, well, I can't think of the last time we did that! Last week in a home game it was only one up front. Manager Petrie took a bit of stick for that but at Bayview he reacted and went positive. He had a good blend of experience and youth on the park which is essential if you want success in L1 I'd say from what I've seen so far.  Young lads like Matty Allan (absent through injury ) and Ryan Harrington have come on leaps and bounds playing alongside Dillon and Cregg. I had a question mark over Cregg a few weeks ago but he's gelled into our level now and has become a first pick - I'm pleased to be proved wrong.

East Fife have other things on their mind right now like a visit to Dublin to play Bohemians and a cup fourth round tie plus hanging on to the coat tails of the play off positions. That pressure showed against us but like their fans I was surprised by their starting eleven. Montrose on the other hand also had a trip to Dublin on their minds and a fourth round cup tie except their trip to Dublin was just after the game for their annual Christmas knees-up. That meant they had to win otherwise the Manager said he would cancel it!

Regarding Johnny court what’s your thoughts on him and how’s he been performing? I was surprised East Fife signed him as he isn’t good enough at division 1 level if your needing a goal scorer fair play he runs a lot and likes being physical with opposing defenders but that’s it
In all honesty, that's as good a scouting report as I'd give myself. Looked a lot better with Dowds beside him, as the big lad is a huge distraction for the CBs.Bit we have stopped playing them together.

Roncone is the worst of a very bad bunch IMO although the competition is high.

His work rate is superb in fairness but I just don't see him scoring goals. Touch is poor and I think part of our problem is the 4 strikers we have, there's no obvious partnership and not one of them will get you 15-20 a season I wouldn't think

Works hard but not a striker who will create something out of nothing nor does he have a habit of getting into the right place at the right time. Would like to see his stats for this season in terms of shots on goal and shots on target. Still think Dowds and Smith are our best strike partnership.

On 12/1/2018 at 17:54, WhoAmI said:

Can see why this got many likes, spot on. Montrose seemed far hungrier and united on the day, EF disheveled and stand-off ish. Strange sub regarding Watson, could have done better for the goal however by no means a stand out bad 45- same with Watt who was also subbed. I would argue the GK could have done better for the first goal on Saturday- same with a few others since Long's red card.

Docherty should not be the starting left back, Slattery proved he was reliable throughout the 8 in a row. Yes he deserved subbed at Dumbarton however more than merits a second chance.

Consistency needs to return and in doing so so does the team which took 16/16 points!

Come on the EF, few more points before the New Years please!

SS

On 02/12/2018 at 17:08, fatdoug1938 said:
On 02/12/2018 at 09:02, basher brash said:

His work rate is superb in fairness but I just don't see him scoring goals. Touch is poor and I think part of our problem is the 4 strikers we have, there's no obvious partnership and not one of them will get you 15-20 a season I wouldn't think

Some of his comments surprised me after he left the Rovers in regards to he thought he was good enough but didn’t get a chance, sadly he wasn’t imo as per my post he simply doesn’t score enough but good luck to him hope he does well in the future

On 02/12/2018 at 18:46, Bayviewboy said:

Works hard but not a striker who will create something out of nothing nor does he have a habit of getting into the right place at the right time. Would like to see his stats for this season in terms of shots on goal and shots on target. Still think Dowds and Smith are our best strike partnership.

Still really rate Kevin Smith superb player , not sure about the guy Dowds but he’s certainly a lot better than Court even though it’s just the one game against us that I seen

Archived