Edinburgh City in Wales

Guest Landan Spiv

Guest Landan Spiv

The big clubs will laugh at me for this thread. Edinburgh City have drawn Connahs Quay away in the semi final of the Irn Bru Cup. Diddy Cup for a lot of folk but to us it's a European away day which we are looking forward to. A decent number already looking at hotels and a coach will also be heading down from the capital. The game will be live on S4C in Wales and Alba here in Scotland. We're in Europe........ Let us have our moment. 

Guest Landan Spiv
12 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Don't want to piss on your chips but Connahs Quay is an absolute shithole.

I've heard that as well. De industrialisation  of a once proud working class community I put it down to just like many small Welsh towns 

Guest Moomintroll
I've heard that as well. De industrialisation  of a once proud working class community I put it down to just like many small Welsh towns 
Got the Deeside Industrial park on their doorstep so a lot of employment opportunities there. It is your typical post industrial wasteland with takeaways, vape shops and the usual suspects aplenty. On the bright side it is handy for Chester for a post match night out and is just off the main motorway network.

Guest Landan Spiv
9 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
13 hours ago, Landan Spiv said:

Got the Deeside Industrial park on their doorstep so a lot of employment opportunities there. It is your typical post industrial wasteland with takeaways, vape shops and the usual suspects aplenty. On the bright side it is handy for Chester for a post match night out and is just off the main motorway network.

Haha been in plenty of those types of towns. Burnley being the biggest one. Please tell me its better than Burnley? As for Chester I think that's where a lot are gonna head for a night out after but me personally and a small group will stay local to Connahs Quay. We're in Wales for a game so we're gonna have a drink there as well and help boost the local boozers. Chester has enough money. If city played in Germany I wouldn't drink in France sort of thing. 

Guest Moomintroll
Haha been in plenty of those types of towns. Burnley being the biggest one. Please tell me its better than Burnley? As for Chester I think that's where a lot are gonna head for a night out after but me personally and a small group will stay local to Connahs Quay. We're in Wales for a game so we're gonna have a drink there as well and help boost the local boozers. Chester has enough money. If city played in Germany I wouldn't drink in France sort of thing. 
Good point tbh, thankfully have never had to subject myself to the delights of Burnley but pretty sure I can see CQ having much the same ambience without the added cultural diversity. Got a mate who stays there so will tap him for info on decent pubs down the hill but fear it will be a short list.

Guest Landan Spiv
15 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
23 minutes ago, Landan Spiv said:

Good point tbh, thankfully have never had to subject myself to the delights of Burnley but pretty sure I can see CQ having much the same ambience without the added cultural diversity. Got a mate who stays there so will tap him for info on decent pubs down the hill but fear it will be a short list.

Great stuff please let us know his recommendations. We're a friendly bunch and have no ego so I'm sure the locals will warm to us. Win or lose we just want a good trip. We'd never have imagined being in this position since our Re formation in 1986.

Guest Moomintroll
Great stuff please let us know his recommendations. We're a friendly bunch and have no ego so I'm sure the locals will warm to us. Win or lose we just want a good trip. We'd never have imagined being in this position since our Re formation in 1986.
Will get back to you.

Guest Moomintroll
As I expected, there aren't many but the main recommendation is Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Failing that The Broad Oak is his second choice.

Guest Landan Spiv
5 hours ago, Moomintroll said:
17 hours ago, Landan Spiv said:

As I expected, there aren't many but the main recommendation is Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Failing that The Broad Oak is his second choice.

Brilliant cheers. Just found out our hotel has a 24 hour bar also. Magic 

Guest Landan Spiv
27 minutes ago, boulderdomb said:

What's date and time of kick off? Seems like this would have been a decent TV game next season with BBC Scotland channel rather than Alba. Might give it a watch

16th Feb. 7.35 or 7.45 kick off

Good luck to Edinburgh City. I see Connahs Quay are top of the Welsh league at the minute so would be a great scalp. 

Was at the St. Mirren v New Saints game a couple of years ago and the Welsh team played some decent stuff, think they were winning at half time before St Mirren won 4-1 

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2018 at 00:21, Guest Landan Spiv said:

Please tell me its better than Burnley

Not been to Burnley for a while, but from memory - similar vibes, but Connah's Quay doesn't have that 'bustling metropolis' feel as it's about 1/5th of the size.

Don't go up to CQ very often, but the Wetherspoons by Shotton railway station is alright.  Nothing spectacular, but I'll happily go for a drink there.   Bit of a pre-warning ... there's no bar at the ground. 

Best of luck & good journey down from the Burgh :)

3 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:
Bit off topic but how is Landan Spiv now classed as a guest?

When an account is deleted by request all posts by the account show up as guest rather than deleting the posts as well.

Ah right never realised he had left although I now notice he hasn't posted for a while!