Dumbarton vs Brechin

Delighted with the performance, which was at the opposite end of the spectrum from last weeks shambles at Airdrie. The team were better balanced throughout with Dyer back at left-back and Forbes in midfield. We really can't afford to have someone with Forbes' ability at full-back. Hutton had a good game and Carswell was very good at centre-half, but really there's plaudits to be had throughout the team. Telling that even at 3-1 Gallagher was chasing the ball down, the type of desire I want to see every week.

Dom Thomas, as others have said, a class above anyone else on the park. The difference he makes to the team is massive and his goal today was excellent; control, footwork, power and accuracy. I really hope we can keep him beyond January. Killie's win today and continued impressive form will help with that.

Brechin were poor. Offered very little up front and looked disjointed at the back. Thought the number 8 was decent though, worked hard.

We really need to put a run together now and get away from the drop zone, so hopefully today's performance gives the players the confidence to do just that.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

That was absolutely great stuff. From start to finish we were in control, and playing some really exciting football. As others have said there wasn't a failure in the team - but a few guys really turned it on.

I had a good feeling from the warmup - as weird as that sounds. The players looked to be getting on well, and things just felt a bit more positive. If players are enjoying themselves then that should show on the pitch, and it certainly did today.

First-half we really should've been a couple of goals up. Gallagher had one deflected wide, Thomas missed a sitter and Forbes buzzed a great ball across the box that nobody could quite get a touch on. I had feared that, that would come back to haunt us, but nope. In the second we continued to dominate, and finally found the cutting edge.

The opener was a very Calum Gallagher goal. Dom Thomas fizzed in a trademark shot and Gallagher got a wee touch on it to force it beyond Brennan. Nice striker's finish I think you'd call it...

Two minutes later Ross Forbes produces near enough a carbon copy of his free-kick against Berwick Rangers back in 2009. You will not see a more perfect free-kick anywhere in world football. It had pace, it had accuracy, it had direction. It wasn't blasted or anything, just dispatched like a penalty...but from 25 yards and with a host of players in the way.

Michael Paton should've added a third after Dom Thomas had retired some Brechin jobber with an outrageous bit of skill (to find a way to control a high ball and take it through a players' legs when he's behind you is magical stuff) but blazed pver.

No matter, probably best if Thomas just did it himself. He absolutely ripped it out of a couple of defenders before arrowing one into the bottom corner of the net. Is he the most naturally gifted guy I've seen play for us? I'm not sure, but he's right up there with Stephen Dobbie and Sam Stanton for me.

Brechin got one back, which was a bit of a shame for Jamie McGowan as he'd done well, before Gallagher and Thomas again teamed up for another lovely goal.

Thomas breezed past a Brechin player down the left and drilled it across for Gallagher to smash home from about four yards. 

Obviously #DT23 was the standout, but a few others deserve a mention. Calum Gallagher was his usual tireless self and once again proved that he scores goals when he's played up top. Stuart Carswell absolutely strolled it against Andy Jackson and Boris Melingui, and his use of the ball was excellent. Michael Paton took a lot of stick last week, but (wasteful finishing aside) I couldn't fault him today. Worked himself into the ground, covered well defensively and linked things nicely. If he could finish he'd have walked away with an easy double today.

Ross Forbes being back in central-midfield was great too. His vision, touch and passing is sublime. I'm pleased for Jamie McGowan too. His decision making was very positive, and he was confident coming for balls into the box. Deserves to keep his place whenever Smith is back.

Three consecutive home league wins for the first time since January/February 2012, and four goals in one half for the first time since April 2014. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Gawd! you are irrepressible - but not much to disagree with there really.

Overall we have to say that there has been a dramatic improvement under Duffy.  For one thing, three goals from a player who wasn't even getting a start under Aitken (CG).  However, there is the worry about the away form.....

When all is said in done, re Duffy v Aitken, we have 9 points from 5 league games as opposed to 8 from 10, an average of 1.8 points per game compared to 0.8 (just in case Paddy is looking in)

In Jim we trust..... 

Great goals we got today and agree with other posts that Thomas is best player I’ve seen in division this season.

great to see 2 full backs in that position as stopped us being exposed wide.

could have been a few more

hopefully can build on this next week 

3 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

Dom Thomas is the best player in this league, and I'm afraid nobody else can argue with me on that.

He really shouldnt be anywhere near that division. I dont really understand why he isnt getting a look in at Killie but given he isnt, he should definitely be at least in the Championship. Most Queens fans would take him back in a second. Dumbarton big beneficiaries of the fact that by the time Killie decided to let him out, loans to the top two divisions werent possible.

If he is playing THAT well though perhaps Killie will want him back in January?

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He really shouldnt be anywhere near that division. I dont really understand why he isnt getting a look in at Killie but given he isnt, he should definitely be at least in the Championship. Most Queens fans would take him back in a second. Dumbarton big beneficiaries of the fact that by the time Killie decided to let him out, loans to the top two divisions werent possible.

He's terrible. Lowland League standard at best.  

1 minute ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

He's terrible. Lowland League standard at best.  

:lol: Its not me you need to convince, its Stevie Clarke! At least with the two club rule you dont need to worry about him going anywhere else. Its Killie or you for the rest of the season.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

#DT23 wouldn't get a look in at us at present unless we had a massive injury crisis.

I've noticed, from the pictures posted on our social media this week, he's still training with Killie fulltime, and regularly turns out for our reserve side, so that should make him a stick out in league 1.

Glad he's getting a regular game and doing well for the Sons......

Archived