January Transfer Window

Top two leagues have one so why not have a League 1 version. What does your team need in January? What are the likely comings and goings?

From our point of view I think the priority is to tie down what we have and get the injured players back. If we could sort out extensions for Crane, Flanagan, Armstrong and Hendry to the end of the season I would be very happy. Having Gillespie and Duggan back now and hopefully Vaughan in early January will make a big difference.

Ideally I’d like to see a right back added too with Jamie Watson going out on loan to get some much needed game time at a lower level. In my opinion he is not near the standard required for a title challenger at the moment and Murray hasn’t impressed since his switch from left back. However, I can’t see this happening as I’m sure McGlynn will think he has enough with Watson/Murray/Gillespie all capable of playing there and the previous mentioned extensions should be viewed as the priority. 

In terms of outgoings, if we are able to extend the deals of the above I think that only leaves Lewis Milne as a likely exit. Buchanan would have been a prime candidate before McGlynn came in but I actually think he has been decent in recent weeks and he seems to be helping out on the coaching side of things also. 

Not sure what the story is with Kieran Wright, would like to see him back but not heard any injury update, if he’s back fit in January that would see Silva leave also.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Top two leagues have one so why not have a League 1 version. What does your team need in January? What are the likely comings and goings?
From our point of view I think the priority is to tie down what we have and get the injured players back. If we could sort out extensions for Crane, Flanagan, Armstrong and Hendry to the end of the season I would be very happy. Having Gillespie and Duggan back now and hopefully Vaughan in early January will make a big difference.
Ideally I’d like to see a right back added too with Jamie Watson going out on loan to get some much needed game time at a lower level. In my opinion he is not near the standard required for a title challenger at the moment and Murray hasn’t impressed since his switch from left back. However, I can’t see this happening as I’m sure McGlynn will think he has enough with Watson/Murray/Gillespie all capable of playing there and the previous mentioned extensions should be viewed as the priority. 
In terms of outgoings, if we are able to extend the deals of the above I think that only leaves Lewis Milne as a likely exit. Buchanan would have been a prime candidate before McGlynn came in but I actually think he has been decent in recent weeks and he seems to be helping out on the coaching side of things also. 
Not sure what the story is with Kieran Wright, would like to see him back but not heard any injury update, if he’s back fit in January that would see Silva leave also.
@Ross Forbes

Get it sorted!

We'll have at least one of the loanee keepers away. Silva has yet to feature for us, and Wright has looked solid for us so far. We could potentially have quite a lot of upheaval.

I'd expect for us to try to keep Crane until the end of the season. McGlynn mentioned that he's looking for Hendry back from injury so I'd expect him back too. Flanagan and Armstrong have both been impressive so far, and I'd imagine the latters performances will be drawing glances from a few Championship clubs (wouldn't surprise me if Falkirk take a chance and try to sign him). It also wouldn't be surprising if we put Lewis Milne out on loan if our injuries start to clear up. He's not set the heather alight, and at the moment is being limited in his game time. It looks like it might just be the wrong place and time for him, and he might do better elsewhere.

The right back area is definitely one I can see us looking forwards for any potential new signings.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

1 goalkeeper
2 centre backs
1 left back
2 central midfielders (preferably a lung busting ball winner and a creative type)
1 quick, direct winger
1 goalscoring striker
1 target man (for the above goalscoring striker to feed off of)

Not too much to ask IMO.

We're going to need a bigger boat.

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

This a speculation/discussion thread not a confirmed transfers one. I would never try to compete with @Ross Forbes!

1 hour ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

@Ross Forbes

Get it sorted!

Oh don't worry, I'll just change the pinned one and clear the OP.

For us the transfer period will be can levein at Hearts let us have Rory Currrie #hashtag19 to remain with East Fife until the end of 2018-19 season?? That will be the plus to any Ef fan having four good strikers on the books. But if we do yet push any boat out of methil docks for another player equiry would be to get any one midfielder or left sided defender would be a coup too... For that kind of loan would like to take adam livingstone back for example i felt he would of got more games the last time he was at bayview as for Sparky i feel hes more a defensive midfield than LB thats my opinion but like many players we have in the EF squad currently are more verstaile players accept the goalies obviously. As for Dowds getting a new contract feel we should tie Brett, Dunsmore, Watt and Agnew on new deals its getting to the half way stage where securing good players and planning for next year as a club is vital but like the management i guuess we reviewing his progress as i know from when we appointed DY he was given two years and this is his second season as manager thats probably up for talks in the coming months.

Paragraph 3 is goalie mikey couser still around?  would have him as back up to both Brett and Craig but send him to a team in the lowland league ie Kelty or something see the boy get game time there with the option of he can be recalled included till end of their season part from that i'll be happy with what we have.

For us the transfer period will be can levein at Hearts let us have Rory Currrie #hashtag19 to remain with East Fife until the end of 2018-19 season?? That will be the plus to any Ef fan having four good strikers on the books. But if we do yet push any boat out of methil docks for another player equiry would be to get any one midfielder or left sided defender would be a coup too... For that kind of loan would like to take adam livingstone back for example i felt he would of got more games the last time he was at bayview as for Sparky i feel hes more a defensive midfield than LB thats my opinion but like many players we have in the EF squad currently are more verstaile players accept the goalies obviously. As for Dowds getting a new contract feel we should tie Brett, Dunsmore, Watt and Agnew on new deals its getting to the half way stage where securing good players and planning for next year as a club is vital but like the management i guuess we reviewing his progress as i know from when we appointed DY he was given two years and this is his second season as manager thats probably up for talks in the coming months.Paragraph 3 is goalie mikey couser still around?  would have him as back up to both Brett and Craig but send him to a team in the lowland league ie Kelty or something see the boy get game time there with the option of he can be recalled included till end of their season part from that i'll be happy with what we have.  

Agree with this, as a squad I think we're covered for nearly all positions but I would like to see a "Kingpin" type midfielder signed, someone capable of dictating play and setting up chances, I really don't think we have that at the moment and another left sided wide player, Watt has done well there but I really think we suffer from the lack of creativity on that side of the park, right side, we're sorted, look at the goals that Dunsmore and Watson have scored and set up from that side, there is nowhere near the same coming from the other side of the park!!!

Also agree with starting to get guys tied down with new contracts, as far as I'm aware Dowds is the only player we have signed for next season, that needs sorted now and it will save a lot of heartache and anguish when the season ends and we're in the same boat we were at the start of this season/ end of last!!!

Agree with the players that CR has highlighted there, especially Brett who's the best keeper we've had in years but surely the guy at the top of the list has to be Meggatt, he's been our Player of the Year so far!!!

24 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Agree with this, as a squad I think we're covered for nearly all positions but I would like to see a "Kingpin" type midfielder signed, someone capable of dictating play and setting up chances, I really don't think we have that at the moment and another left sided wide player, Watt has done well there but I really think we suffer from the lack of creativity on that side of the park, right side, we're sorted, look at the goals that Dunsmore and Watson have scored and set up from that side, there is nowhere near the same coming from the other side of the park!!!

Also agree with starting to get guys tied down with new contracts, as far as I'm aware Dowds is the only player we have signed for next season, that needs sorted now and it will save a lot of heartache and anguish when the season ends and we're in the same boat we were at the start of this season/ end of last!!!

Agree with the players that CR has highlighted there, especially Brett who's the best keeper we've had in years but surely the guy at the top of the list has to be Meggatt, he's been our Player of the Year so far!!!

Yeah thought i'll cover this what most east fife fans want for after Xmas!! Yeah a pretty much  in the verted commas of kingpin type player since we don't see much enough from bridey nor thommo but good it defending and attacking like Dunsmore on the other flank tbh with linton returning from some short of missing games upto now our only position falls to either Sparky; Slattery and the experience cb we have of Daryl Meggatt then left sided remains missing since we had James Penrice/Gary Naysmith when we had a very much a Left back player within the team. I like watt and aggy they have both being fresh air in the midfield but left sided type is our weak part thats what i feel but yeah we haven't had that day where at hampden the quality of both flanks really attacking teams as Dunsmore does it best!!

Yeah if we are to think about whats next, yeah the laddie Downs has only signed up getting our better players signed up is key obviously they want to listen to other offeers and better their football but it happens to us if we don't plan ahead reason why i bought it up as we probably only need kee the squad intack and extend the current loan while push out for another loanee. Even andrew driver is a free agent at 33 he would be the derek riordan in our squad if we looked at him if hes not packed it in, but he was a good wee player at hearts many years ago then moved aboard that could be a player to add experience come May. 

True we need to save the likes off brett and a couple that includes your POTY!!!

Key for us is keeping Armstrong and Flannagan, but that might be a tall order considering clubs in the championship will be keeping close tabs on them. Hopefully we get some of our long term crocks back soon. Gillespie and Duggan need to get back up to speed and I’m sure they will.

8 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Fat guy with anger issues, hates the blind?

21 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Would happily take Lewis Milne back from you, even on a loan basis.

Would happily take Lewis Milne back from you, even on a loan basis.

I’m actually really pissed off that his signing has turned out to be a massive failure as the year that Cowden were in the championship with us, the same year Hearts were, There were two opposition players that I really wanted to see in a Rovers strip one day. Lewis Milne and Mitch Megginson(who was with Dumbarton at the time). Both have now signed and both have turned out to be massive failures.

Archived