Amber and Black vs Amber and Claret 01/12/18

I blame the pitch 

I mean how else can we go from beating Aberdeen 3-0 going on 5 to utter garbage.

Well done Livi. Doubt they will have an easier game all season.

One step forward 742 back........

At least I got a freebie ticket. But even then it was not worth it !!!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I enjoyed that.

Could easily have gone in 3 up at half time. Excellent save from the keeper from Lawless, only for him to score from an almost identical move 10 minutes later. In the first half, Motherwell were atrocious. I think every single one of their defenders put an easy pass out for a throw, which we were just pummelling them with. Hamilton also missed a sitter, twas a completely dominant first half.

Second was a total shitfest. Well looked better with their formation change, but still had no cutting edge at all. Still, we needed Kelly to win us the points, coul easily have been a different result.

Lawless had his best game in a livi shirt by a mile (mainly because he ran around for a change). Was creative going forward, brave at the back and clinical in front of goal. Hope he keeps it up.

Hamilton was excellent for the first 30 minutes, then got a (ludicrous) booking and shy-ed out of a few physical challenges after that. Was completely ineffective in the second half, but he was so good for the first half hour that I can let him away with that. Kid's got potential. Also, Cadden looked great with the ball at his feet. Holt made the right call with his attacking options.

Also how good was that touch from Lawson to win the corner for the second goal? 

Very pleased with that, have to admit I wasn’t very confident before the game after all the rumours of injuries etc but the team was about as strong as we have available. 

We strolled the first half, should really have had the game won by half time and was a bit worried that’s Motherwell would pick up but that never really materialised. 

Bar the 10 minute spell when Kelly made a great save to keep it level I was never worried. 

I was told Lithgow was unwell all week, trained for half an hour this week and came in today and told Holt he was playing, out in a brilliant performance with that in mind. 

Cadden deserves a special mention, he’s had very little first team football, you never hear him moaning about it, he gets in my opinion unfair criticism from our fans but yet put it a very good performance today. 

Also though Jack Hamilton was great, for an 18 year old boy, who was playing juniors and league 2 football last season to come in and cause the Mothewell defenders no end of problems was great to watch, a proper lone striker role, held the ball up and brought players into the game, won his fair share in the air. Be interesting to see if he plays again midweek or next weekend with Menga available again. 

Further clear of the bottom 2, another clean sheet, good day. 

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Thought Maguire and Gorrin were probably the pick of a very bad bunch.

Our senior players need a serious talking to about standards.

I'm pro youth, I want some of the younger players to be brought through but the senior guys need to take a long, hard look at themselves when guys like Turnbull and Maguire are coming straight into the team and looking way better than they are.

The people who should be providing experience are providing no experience, the people that should be providing leadership are providing no leadership, the people who should be putting a foot on the ball and making intelligent choices are not doing either.

Good news is McHugh will be back to do just that.  Yeah, I'm joking. 

I wish that shot from Cadden had gone in the top corner, it would've been a goal of the season contender, great game by him.

Hamilton was superb as well, did exactly what was needed, held his own against a very physical Motherwell defence, and had a couple of clear chances too, but lost his composure blasting them over the bar, still a great shift.

Some bits of real skill from Lithgow up front too, taking the ball down and doing a bit of tekkers with it, same with Lawson when he came on. Captain fantastic getting a deserved goal to seal the points, really enjoying watching Halkett while he's still here.

As has been said, we could've rued not getting a 2nd goal when we were well on top, but Kelly pulled off 2 cracking saves to keep our lead until we finally got the 2nd goal to make things safe. Some home form this season, only conceded 2 goals in 8 league games, that kind of form at home will keep us up.

A very strong performance from us today. Totally dominated the game. Our midfield 3 don’t get enough credit I don’t think. They work so hard for the team. Our midfield bossed the Motherwell midfield all game. Pitts Byrne and Keags are our best 3 to play in middle of park. Young Jack was brilliant today bullied the centre half’s. Lawless has his best game. Halkett and Lithgow dominated main and Johnson who are real handfuls. Lamie and Dec were solid gave them nothing on the wings. Good to see nicky get a game today he was very good and direct. Liam kelly save at 1-0 is brillaint

That was a really easy game for us. I expected a lot more from Motherwell and I'd be raging if I were a well fan. They didn't match us physically, as they have done in previous encounters. We absolutely dominated them bar the 10 minute spell near the end. Lawless fully deserved his MOTM. He looked really good playing through the middle in the first half. Looking forward to Killie on Wednesday, but they will be an entirely different prospect. 

6 hours ago, well fan for life said:

I would blame the pitch but I don’t actually think the ball touched the surface when we had possession. So, in reality, we are just really fucking shite at football.

We are pretty sh1te at the moment. And Liviv fully deserved their win. Only one team in the game. 

All that said I did feel that we were worse than even I and the Manager and probably the players expected. 

That has to be a large part on the surface. I just got the feeling that certain Motherwell players if not all of them were not comfortable on it. 

I was glad Livi got promoted. Living in Edinburgh it is a short trip. That was before I realised they had replaced their grass pitch. I went yesterday and to the cup game earlier in the season. But I am OUT after that. Commented on Steelmen that Motherwell can be v poor on grass but I have rarely if ever seen them play well on plastic pitches, even when we were riding high in the league and even when we win the odd game. 

I am going to give Livi, Hamilton and Killie away games a miss from now on in. 

We are pretty sh1te at the moment. And Liviv fully deserved their win. Only one team in the game. 
All that said I did feel that we were worse than even I and the Manager and probably the players expected. 
That has to be a large part on the surface. I just got the feeling that certain Motherwell players if not all of them were not comfortable on it. 
I was glad Livi got promoted. Living in Edinburgh it is a short trip. That was before I realised they had replaced their grass pitch. I went yesterday and to the cup game earlier in the season. But I am OUT after that. Commented on Steelmen that Motherwell can be v poor on grass but I have rarely if ever seen them play well on plastic pitches, even when we were riding high in the league and even when we win the odd game. 
I am going to give Livi, Hamilton and Killie away games a miss from now on in. 
Don't blame the pitch, you're better than that.

Blaming the pitch is an easy option. Fact is, we're just fucking shite.

Do Livi, Killie and Hamilton go unbeaten at home every season? Livi wanted it more than us yesterday and were better all over the park.

A game like that last season you could guarantee we'd at least be up for the battle but the most frustrating thing this season is that there's been far too many spineless performances where the players just seem to chuck it.

Archived