Electric or Hybrid cars.

Romeo

Do you have an electric car or a hybrid  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, Oooooft said:

Lol.

I don't "really" deny it, I just don't "care" :)

It does amuse me the majority of the whiners are the ones that boast about cheap flights to Costa del Cunto every year.

So I take the moral high ground and won't concede it, to, face it, children.

Aye alright Donald, we get it, you don't "care"

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fine, makes your previous post about me being a denier a bit stupid.

But that's whit whiners are like so I don't hold it against you personally [emoji4]
For someone who doesn't "care" you fair bang on about it.

Which post did I mention you in ? If you could point that out, you don't want to look a bit stupid by not finding it.

Hurry up dafty.

51 minutes ago, Romeo said:

I was unaware that P&B contained quite so many climate change deniers.

This one.

Here to help :)

Now, if you need help over the old Climate Change bollox, just ask.

Its not exactly post 1990 Uni level of Intelligence required, so you may just get it.

1 minute ago, Oooooft said:

This one.

Here to help :)

Its not exactly post 1990 Uni level of Intelligence required, so you may just get it.

Where are you mentioned in that post?

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:
6 minutes ago, Oooooft said:
This one.

Here to help emoji4.png

Help away I'm interested to hear what you have to say on the matter.

Surely.

The World has a finite Life.

Enjoy it whilst you can.

The End.

NEEXXXT!

2 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
12 minutes ago, Romeo said:
Where are you mentioned in that post?

Think he has missed this post as he has moved onto the next.

To be honest, I only looked into the thread due to the misleading tags.

Assumed one of the diets had been run over by a Green car, and it was lolz all round.

Disappointed.

To be honest, I only looked into the thread due to the misleading tags.

Assumed one of the diets had been run over by a Green car, and it was lolz all round.

Disappointed.

You've fucked things up badly here but I won't hold it against you.

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

The challenge with global warming though is that it's not a linear process - there's positive feedback and negative feedback which potentially means that 2C could become a few degrees higher in a much shorter period of time. The feedback variables (i.e. clouds, rain fall, vegetation etc) are still quite young pieces of science that are quite contentious (it's difficult as f**k to quantify and completely model everything on earth) but the worst case scenario is set out quite clearly.

There's been a lot of clever work with flood defences (the Dutch in particular are amazing with this) but pretty much all of the world is not ready and we're going to be seeing huge levels of coastal erosion which is quite inconvenient when you see how many humans live on the coast. There's the potential for dramatic changes in climate (due to ocean streams changing) and potentially causing further economic hardship in unstable regions of the world (and you can argue it's already happened). Beyond that, there's the terrifying risk that the large methane deposits frozen in ice melt and we get this runaway effect where things get worse.

Pollution is pretty pish if people can't breathe etc but it's pretty delusional to just ignore this stuff because it's not the here and now.

It's very easy to set out worst case scenarios in such a cloud of uncertainty, and control/profit from it (as with all DOOMSDAY prophecies). The challenge with anything with hundreds or thousands or tens of thousands of variables that is incredibly hard to model is that it's then incredibly hard to make predictions.

I'm  reminded of this clip (stretched out to however many decades someone wants to predict until DOOMSDAY LEVELS occur) when I hear about the 'problem' of sea-levels rising should they actually rise.

Can't help but think It's all a conspiracy....

Surely If you want to be environmentally friendly then you should use the car you have for as long as possible; not throw it away when you tire of it or it becomes unfashionable?

The amount of resources spunked on meeting the constant demands of consumerist fashion trends must far outweigh the environmental impact of keeping the market in diesel.

The car manufacturers know this but are obviously keen for everyone to buy new cars in the next few years. Governments are also keen due to the economic benefits of a booming automotive sector.

Or not?

Should I be looking for a recycled tin-foil hat?

It's very easy to set out worst case scenarios in such a cloud of uncertainty, and control/profit from it (as with all DOOMSDAY prophecies). The challenge with anything with hundreds or thousands or tens of thousands of variables that is incredibly hard to model is that it's then incredibly hard to make predictions.
I'm  reminded of this clip (stretched out to however many decades someone wants to predict until DOOMSDAY LEVELS occur) when I hear about the 'problem' of sea-levels rising should they actually rise.

The models do predict, well beyond reasonable doubt that that sea levels will rise and this correlates with carbon output. The minimum expectation is very very bad.

Data assimilation is pretty difficult with limits of computer power and knowledge but it is possible to quantify the uncertainty of your predictions. It isn't just monkeys smashing a keyboard.

40 minutes ago, harry94 said:

The models do predict, well beyond reasonable doubt that that sea levels will rise and this correlates with carbon output. The minimum expectation is very very bad.

Data assimilation is pretty difficult with limits of computer power and knowledge but it is possible to quantify the uncertainty of your predictions. It isn't just monkeys smashing a keyboard.

I'm well aware of how computer simulation works, and also in extremely complex systems of the difficulty of making grand predictions such as A will happen, so B will happen, so C will happen, then D will happen, then E will happen, so F will happen, then.................. everyone dies!

The minimum expectations are not 'very very bad', this is the stuff of standard DOOMSDAY hustling. The minimum expectations are that nothing much happens that hasn't happened in the normal course of human history.

2 hours ago, banana said:

I'm well aware of how computer simulation works, and also in extremely complex systems of the difficulty of making grand predictions such as A will happen, so B will happen, so C will happen, then D will happen, then E will happen, so F will happen, then.................. everyone dies!

The minimum expectations are not 'very very bad', this is the stuff of standard DOOMSDAY hustling. The minimum expectations are that nothing much happens that hasn't happened in the normal course of human history.

In the normal course of human history , hmm that would be when we were under a couple of hundred feet of ice here in Scotland perchance 

oh and whatever happens , as in the normal course of human history , there are now 7 Thousand Million ( no folks it’s not a billion that’s more  than that ) of us cutting about with half the landmass gone  ( ice or water , neither is good for us hoomins) 

to strike a contrary note to above , for all the people wanting leccie cars , till we get a flux capacitor and mr Fusion , we will be reliant on batteries , 

At the moment less than a fraction of 1%  of the vehicles on earth run on batteries, mostly lithium , which is a reactive metal , not found in large raw deposits like gold or silver ,  requring of a huge amount of power to extract it from its natural oxides an other compounds, at the same time they are generally ppm range deposits , so again a large amount of energy has to be expended in making huge great holes  ( bigger even than Dumfries ) in the earth to recover it.

Oh and just like most of the oil , the known lithium deposits are places where we would rather not do business , get rid of the sheiks and have new despots to be craven to, 

We need acouple of Chatman Mao’s great leaps forward from technology first , before we get carried away with the whole leccie car thing 

Jings what a rant , away for a dram to calm down ...

In the normal course of human history , hmm that would be when we were under a couple of hundred feet of ice here in Scotland perchance 
oh and whatever happens , as in the normal course of human history , there are now 7 Thousand Million ( no folks it’s not a billion that’s more  than that ) of us cutting about with half the landmass gone  ( ice or water , neither is good for us hoomins) 

to strike a contrary note to above , for all the people wanting leccie cars , till we get a flux capacitor and mr Fusion , we will be reliant on batteries , 
At the moment less than a fraction of 1%  of the vehicles on earth run on batteries, mostly lithium , which is a reactive metal , not found in large raw deposits like gold or silver ,  requring of a huge amount of power to extract it from its natural oxides an other compounds, at the same time they are generally ppm range deposits , so again a large amount of energy has to be expended in making huge great holes  ( bigger even than Dumfries ) in the earth to recover it.
Oh and just like most of the oil , the known lithium deposits are places where we would rather not do business , get rid of the sheiks and have new despots to be craven to, 
We need acouple of Chatman Mao’s great leaps forward from technology first , before we get carried away with the whole leccie car thing 
Jings what a rant , away for a dram to calm down ...

Not to mention the massive half life of the battery as it deteriorates, EV's are worse for the planet than any petrol or diesel. It's a sham.

14 hours ago, banana said:

Not very comforting giving the propensity for plague, famine and war in the normal course of human history. 

All things, I'm sure you'd agree, we'd want to avoid if we could.

I drive a wee car for commuting to work, was due to replace it and bought a 2015 Renault Zoe for £7k with a monthly battery lease of £50.

Have a charger at home, but rarely use it. The on street chargers are free and should remain so until 2021.

I take a little and often approach to charging, nip in for a coffee before work and top up from 20% to 80% in around half an hour. Just do work emails during that time.

I get around 85 miles to a full charge in summer, which can reduce to as little as 60 in the winter months.  As an older model it doesn't do rapid charging, but can handle a fast charge at 22kW which is still decently quick.

There's also chargers at my local train stations and town centre, so just take the car there to charge whilst I am doing the weekly shop or whatever.

I really like my wee motor, nippy away from traffic lights and good as an urban commuting car.  No road tax and free charging make it very cost effective, but as it only costs around £3 to fully charge at home it's not exactly expensive anyway.

Granted this is the "second car" for the family, my Mrs drives a BMW diesel and so longer journeys are done in that for the time being.

There are 2 years left on the BMW finance and when that's done, I'm hoping technology has improved enough to allow us to go fully electric for both.

• 2 months later...

Archived