Electric or Hybrid cars.

Romeo

Do you have an electric car or a hybrid  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too expensive, too slow and nowhere near anything like the infrastructure in place to use them daily over any distance. Then there's the 'styling' of them. Not one of them is appealing. I don't need one to help me sleep at night. Oh and mpg should only really be calculated when the engine on a hybrid it's running. IMO. They're nowhere near as great as some people seem believe. Just a fad similar to the diesel thing few years back. Look what happened there??

Nah, keep em. For now. 

My 250bhp v6 TT is where it's at thank you. 

Sure the time will come when they're more accessible and user friendly but they're not for me. I like burning (lots of) petrol. 

26 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Struggling to find an exact figure but it looks like most of the rest is nuclear. A complicating factor is that we import and export electricity from various sources.

44 minutes ago, banana said:

Electric cars appeal on the premise of exported consequences, from immediate ground-level pollution to some power station in the countryside. Typical 'Progressive' feelgoodygoody shite.

Unless fueled by nuclear power stations, of course.

Even if you were talking about using a source of energy which isn't clean burning (which is increasingly unlikely anyway), an internal combustion engine in a car is not, and will never be, as efficient as a power plant.

Too expensive, too slow and nowhere near anything like the infrastructure in place to use them daily over any distance. Then there's the 'styling' of them. Not one of them is appealing. I don't need one to help me sleep at night. Oh and mpg should only really be calculated when the engine on a hybrid it's running. IMO. They're nowhere near as great as some people seem believe. Just a fad similar to the diesel thing few years back. Look what happened there??
Nah, keep em. For now. 
My 250bhp v6 TT is where it's at thank you. 
Sure the time will come when they're more accessible and user friendly but they're not for me. I like burning (lots of) petrol. 

Hairdresser's car.

Just now, harry94 said:

Even if you were talking about using a source of energy which isn't clean burning (which is increasingly unlikely anyway), an internal combustion engine in a car is not as efficient as a power plant.

Very true.

Having travelled extensively and repeatedly temporarily lived in some very polluted shitholes and seen the local effects, I'm very big on reducing pollution. The question is how, getting net gains that are on balance worth it (e.g. f**k the aesthetic disaster that are wind farms).

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

A few workmates have them and would never go back. For me I need to wait for one with a bit more range. A pal lives nearby and any time he gives me a lift in it is about 3% left on the battery by the time he drops me off.

The ecological credentials I am not sure of but car use in general has shot up since I was wee and I can definitely notice the taste in the air, so losing those emissions will be great as more folk adopt.

Don't know what they're like but a hybrid plug in would be a good intermediate option if you're worried about running out of juice, bit like a back up motor on a sailing boat. 

4 minutes ago, banana said:

The question is how, getting net gains that are on balance worth it (e.g. f**k the aesthetic disaster that are wind farms).

The big problem is, we're at a point where even if we managed to cut carbon dioxide emissions to virtually zero in 2030, we'll be missing the Paris Agreement targets quite comfortably and we'll quite comfortably still be hitting that 2C increase in global temperature increase.

That then leads to a challenge. We've actually got to make something which can take the CO2 back from the atmosphere as even if we do the very best we can, it won't be enough and the US have indicated that they'll be the only nation on earth to not abide by the agreed standards set out. There are emerging technologies which achieve exactly this but there's a huge economical problem where it's really expensive for the theoretical large scale implementation that we can possibly achieve. Beyond the simple cost problem, this is an issue in less prosperous nations so you've then got the reduced incentive for the wealthy nations of the world to actually do something.

That then adds another consideration for energy resources. Even if you believe that the move we've had to a diversified energy network is inefficient and not posing a net benefit in comparison to our current means (which is debatable -  storage problems are being solved and the cost is dramatically decreasing every year), it's not really up for debate that it's very cheap to get renewable methods of energy up and running within a very short time periods in comparison with the practicalities of setting up nuclear plants (which is the only other source which doesn't produce CO2). That then leaves you with a practical problem where you need to get emissions down at all costs (since we know it'll be so much more expensive to extract it from the atmosphere) and need to do it really quickly - making cars electric to run off of a clean energy supply is going to be a really cheap way we can make a start since it's something we've been working on for some time and will still be far cheaper than these magical CO2 extractors.

I think we're beginning to see the impacts of climate change become a real economic issue so I think it is conceivable that something like the electric car market is transformed overnight. The technology there is a lot better and a Nissan Leaf, for example, would probably be a great car and I could probably get one and charge it at the supermarket when I do my shop once a week (the 50kW chargers seem to be every where) for the cheap subscription fee to be on the network (it won't be anything more than £20-30 a month). For £30k though, it's not really affordable (or near affordable tbh) and worth it for someone like myself. Getting a used car for £4-5k and running it into the ground is probably going to be better for the environment than getting any new car tbh, even if it's electric (there's a huge output in the manufacturing process). The secondhand market might change things too I suppose.

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

Hairdresser's car.

Is the standard response :lol:     

Amount of fucks given. 0 :) 

Have you driven one? Whilst I appreciate not everybody is an enthusiast and maybe doesn't want (or care about) anything more from their dull, drab car than A-B transport, I want a little more. That's all. 

Every time I turn the key and it burbles into life, I smile.

Every time I drive it, it makes me smile. 

Sure, on a good day it only averages 33 mpg maybe. On a great day it's more like 25 :thumsup2

It does exactly what I want. Sounds great, goes well, has a little character and passes pretty much anything apart from a petrol station :lol: 

13 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Is the standard response :lol:     

Amount of fucks given. 0 :) 

Have you driven one? Whilst I appreciate not everybody is an enthusiast and maybe doesn't want (or care about) anything more from their dull, drab car than A-B transport, I want a little more. That's all. 

Every time I turn the key and it burbles into life, I smile.

Every time I drive it, it makes me smile. 

Sure, on a good day it only averages 33 mpg maybe. On a great day it's more like 25 :thumsup2

It does exactly what I want. Sounds great, goes well, has a little character and passes pretty much anything apart from a petrol station :lol: 

Do you use a petrol hairdryer at your work?

Archived