Electric or Hybrid cars.

Romeo

Do you have an electric car or a hybrid  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am interested to know how many people have made the switch to either a fully electric car or some kind of hybrid.

I have had a Hyundiai Ionic self charging hybrid for a little over a year now and I really like it. I can get over 60mpg if I drive it like an old lady, so it's cut down on my fuel costs quite a bit.

It seems that this is the way forward with governements allover the world setting time frames for when traditional combustion enginges will be getting binned.

What does P&B think?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I test  drove the Toyota CH-R earlier in the year. Its take a little getting used to the different driving style, but once you do its great.

It was going to cost a bit more than the other cars I was looking at and I wasnt going to make the difference back on the fuel savings :( 

10 minutes ago, Romeo said:

I am interested to know how many people have made the switch to either a fully electric car or some kind of hybrid.

I have had a Hyundiai Ionic self charging hybrid for a little over a year now and I really like it. I can get over 60mpg if I drive it like an old lady, so it's cut down on my fuel costs quite a bit.

It seems that this is the way forward with governements allover the world setting time frames for when traditional combustion enginges will be getting binned.

What does P&B think?

Where's the option for I don't have one but might consider it. Price is a big consideration.

8 minutes ago, thisal said:

Where's the option for I don't have one but might consider it. Price is a big consideration.

I am an idiot and havn't included one, I also don't know how to add the option.

eta...Fixed it

6 minutes ago, Romeo said:

I am an idiot and havn't included one, I also don't know how to add the option.

That's okay I think you have to do it in biro. Put me down as I don't have one put might consider it if the price was right. Which is  inevitable as they get more popular.

well done.

Still a couple years before due to change our Diesel for something different. As it stands the plug ins only seem suitable if living & using in a city given the lack of charging points & poor range. Probably in the meantime the self charging hybrid is the best option.

Saturday was a typical away trip to Greenock about 180 miles each way, would probably struggle to get down without charging a plug-in then have to find another plug-in charging point down there & either be there early enough to charge before the game or leave somewhere go to the game then go back for it & probably have another charging stop on the way home its just impractical. The self charging hybrid seems a better system. They run buses etc on Hydrogen but it seems it has not been moved into cars yet.

Mine is a self charging hybrid.  I now find myself playing a wee game when driving where i try to get up to as high a speed as possible using just the battery before the engine kicks in.

The fact that the petrol engine is a 3.5l V6 seems to slightly negate any environmental saving properties of the battery engine, mind you.

8 minutes ago, peternapper said:

They run buses etc on Hydrogen but it seems it has not been moved into cars yet.

Image result for Hydrogen Toyota

Toyota have just launched the Mirai, a hydrogen car, in Europe. It's 66 grand though for a mid range family saloon so it's an outlier.

I still have a petrol car but when it comes time to change I'll be getting a Renault Zoe. I've driven a hire Zoe and they are great wee things. Where I live the council are investing in new electric infrastructure so it will become possible soon enough. I think in the next decade you'll see most filling stations gradually throttling back on the carbon fuels available and increasing charging points / hydrogen.

Many argue for doing away with our dependence on cars altogether, though, in favour of a mass and sustained investment in public transport networks. Whatever way they're powered, if we are to make the massive economic and structural changes we all need to if the planet is to have a long term future, the era of the private car will have to come to an end. Predictions of banning cars in cities by 2040 and banning petrol cars by 2030 are meaningless otherwise.

Mine is a self charging hybrid.  I now find myself playing a wee game when driving where i try to get up to as high a speed as possible using just the battery before the engine kicks in.

This is a thing, I also do this. Will also be going to Liverpool in a couple of weeks and will be playing the "how high can I get the mpg" game

1 minute ago, Romeo said:

This is a thing, I also do this. Will also be going to Liverpool in a couple of weeks and will be playing the "how high can I get the mpg" game

We drove down to Penrith a few weeks ago.  I didn't do very well at this game and barely got it above 30mpg.

My next car will be fully electric I think, hopefully not for 5 years or so. By then the prices will have come right down, 500 miles on full overnight charge, plenty fast recharging points etc. Bit nervous about semi autonomous, think I might not be concentrating when I was actually needed to do something. Don't see the point of owning a car when fully autonomous cars become standard, just call one to pick you up. My car isn't being used 95% plus of the time at the moment, a waste of metal.

Had a look at the new Tesla 3 when I was on holiday, very nice car, asked a few questions about it especially about distance on a single charge, they said it should get around 400 miles if I remember correctly. Price was reasonable at around £35000.

Electric cars appeal on the premise of exported consequences, from immediate ground-level pollution to some power station in the countryside. Typical 'Progressive' feelgoodygoody shite.

Unless fueled by nuclear power stations, of course.

Archived