Arbroath vs Stenhousemuir

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saturday was obviously disappointing, but it’s not as if we didn’t play well. We created enough chances to win two games and just have to put it behind us. Gav seemed to be warming up etc as normal so assume he was rested as a precaution. Stenny are 11/1 on Bet365 which to me seems crazy given they will be on a high after their victory over Falkirk. Just get the 3 points and hope airdrie can get something from Raith.

1 hour ago, Lichtie78 said:

Saturday was obviously disappointing, but it’s not as if we didn’t play well. We created enough chances to win two games and just have to put it behind us. Gav seemed to be warming up etc as normal so assume he was rested as a precaution. Stenny are 11/1 on Bet365 which to me seems crazy given they will be on a high after their victory over Falkirk. Just get the 3 points and hope airdrie can get something from Raith.

Agree i thought we played decent on Saturday the only disappointing thing was our finishing, i reckon if we took the lead we would have ran out convincing winners but the longer the came on you seemed to sense what was going to happen, on the subject of Pongo taken into account his lack of game time this season i though he played well, his range of passing was superb, i though it was a mistake taken him of to replace him with the more defensive Whatley, we did miss Gav (who was injured as my mate spoke to him after the game he was just making the numbers up on the bench) but i disagree with some who say Pongo and Gav cannot play in the same team.

Agree i thought we played decent on Saturday the only disappointing thing was our finishing, i reckon if we took the lead we would have ran out convincing winners but the longer the came on you seemed to sense what was going to happen, on the subject of Pongo taken into account his lack of game time this season i though he played well, his range of passing was superb, i though it was a mistake taken him of to replace him with the more defensive Whatley, we did miss Gav (who was injured as my mate spoke to him after the game he was just making the numbers up on the bench) but i disagree with some who say Pongo and Gav cannot play in the same team.

Pongo and Gav cannot play as a midfield pair, not a tackle in the pair of them, Whately has his critics, but he understands his role at times in protecting the back 4

Disagree, not enough legs in the middle if we play them both, need a gold or a Whatley running about making tackles and being a nuisance to the opposition. McCord and gav have the same qualities in terms of passing range etc but gav at the moment is playing far better and doing a job defensively too this season breaking up the play which I don’t think McCord brings to the team.

Never for one minute have i said to play them both in midfield, Pongo has played in midfield with Gav up front and vice-versa in the past, and i am not saying anything critical about Whatley i just could not understand taken off an attacking midfield player for a more defensive one at 0-0 on Saturday when we were chasing the game.

Gav has a tackle in him this season. Intact he seems to get himself involved in a wee battle with someone every week. No enough legs to have them both in though. Need Michael McKenna in our team if he's fit, for his energy alone, then not really sure Gav or McCord playing as one of the front 2 would work especially when we have Doris and Wallace.

It was great to see that if Swanks picks up a knock or whatever we have someone of mccords quality to come in and do a job. He played well, think he might play again Saturday if Gav is still struggling a bit.

McCord played really well on Saturday and looked disappointed to come off, However in the league the team pretty much picks its self, Perhaps only Denholms place is at risk but that’s extremely harsh after how well he played at Brechin, 

The only way Swankie and McCord play in the same team is with 3 and a change of formation and 3 in the middle of the park, and after the start we have had that’s not going to happen either anytime soon, If McCord had legs and could get about the pitch i doubt he would even be at the club, his passing and that are way above this level, 

Gav has a tackle in him this season. Intact he seems to get himself involved in a wee battle with someone every week. No enough legs to have them both in though. Need Michael McKenna in our team if he's fit, for his energy alone, then not really sure Gav or McCord playing as one of the front 2 would work especially when we have Doris and Wallace.

It was great to see that if Swanks picks up a knock or whatever we have someone of mccords quality to come in and do a job. He played well, think he might play again Saturday if Gav is still struggling a bit.

Gav has really developed his game this season. He has shown the hunger to tackle, chase and win headers in the centre of the park. It's an aspect of his game I haven't seen in previous seasons but it fits really well with his current position.

Gav has really developed his game this season. He has shown the hunger to tackle, chase and win headers in the centre of the park. It's an aspect of his game I haven't seen in previous seasons but it fits really well with his current position.

He has been absolutely superb since the turn of the year. I remember a midweek game down at Stranraer where he dominated the midfield and that changed my opinion of him as a CM

McCord played really well on Saturday and looked disappointed to come off, However in the league the team pretty much picks its self, Perhaps only Denholms place is at risk but that’s extremely harsh after how well he played at Brechin, 
The only way Swankie and McCord play in the same team is with 3 and a change of formation and 3 in the middle of the park, and after the start we have had that’s not going to happen either anytime soon, If McCord had legs and could get about the pitch i doubt he would even be at the club, his passing and that are way above this level, 

Denholms miss was genuinely so bad, wasn't even a cross or whatever, a palmed shot back to him. He still had a decent enough game overall and he's much better than Kader, by all accounts he was good against Brechin and he was good and scored a good goal v the Mo too think he's finding his feet again a bit. On Saturday that goes in 9/10, just one of they things.

Think it's a position that will be strengthened in January. Linn is miles out in front, Denholm a clear starter too over Kader. Not much competition.

But I think you underestimate Omar’s value. He gets about the pitch, covers well and can be real tricky coming in from the wings. Has scored a few too.

I think Omar Kader is, at the very most, an okay squad player. He hasn’t scored a goal since March, and whilst he might be a tricky player when he actually takes on his man his end product is usually dreadful. He does offer more defensively than Linn or Denholm but even then he doesn’t offer that much because he’s built like the side of a fiver and a stiff wind would blow him over. Danny Denholm is 100% a better player than him and the wings are definitely a position we need more competition in.

........He does offer more defensively than Linn or Denholm but even then he doesn’t offer that much because he’s built like the side of a fiver and a stiff wind would blow him over. Danny Denholm is 100% a better player than him and the wings are definitely a position we need more competition in.

I think there’s a bit of contradiction in these statements. In some situations, Kader is a better option than Denholm and perhaps even the sainted Bobby. He is also generally more reliable - well as much as any wide player ever is - which is the quality I perceive Dick appreciates. What I appreciate as a fan is having all these players fit and available.

Don’t see the value in arguing who is better than who without the long and tedious business of defining ‘better’ (listing the circumstances as well as the individual talents, form, attitude, workrate, ph etc)

We’re now officially into the winter season with different demands on the team ( heavier pitches, more weather, etc). Can we plough through this with the same panache as the first third of the season?

I think there’s a bit of contradiction in these statements. In some situations, Kader is a better option than Denholm and perhaps even the sainted Bobby. He is also generally more reliable - well as much as any wide player ever is - which is the quality I perceive Dick appreciates. What I appreciate as a fan is having all these players fit and available.

Don’t see the value in arguing who is better than who without the long and tedious business of defining ‘better’ (listing the circumstances as well as the individual talents, form, attitude, workrate, ph etc)

We’re now officially into the winter season with different demands on the team ( heavier pitches, more weather, etc). Can we plough through this with the same panache as the first third of the season?

Obviously there are situations where Kader can be a useful player, but there is still a need for another winger. If Linn or Denholm are having a stinker/take a knock and have to come off whilst we are still chasing a game our only back-up winger is someone who’s best attributes aren’t really that of a traditional winger. Either that or we have to shuffle our front line about to move McKenna out wide. Omar doesn’t score as many goals as other wingers, and doesn’t create as much. If we bring in another wide option who can do this, without having the defensive work rate of Kader, I feel we will be more balanced.

Archived