Cowden v QP

an86

Finally the team many of us had been hoping for, and probably our best performance of the season. Swann had a good first half(at least I thought so) but didn't appear for the second. Hope he is not in the manager's bad books for something. Buchanan had his best game all season, Skelly a cool finish for the second. Deas as usual near faultless. Another player added some strength in depth to the squad.Just hope that the manager sticks as near as possible to this line-up and we may yet take a hand in the play-off race.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Blue Oktober said:

All depends on your perspective ^_^

For my part I missed the second goal as had to sort something behind the scenes :(

It was a peach. So good our lads decided to stay away and give him time and room to showboat but still it was a dandy chip. There won't be much from our side to fill up the time so maybe you'll get a slo-mo too.

2 hours ago, qpfc said:

No risk trying out Gow, great pedigree and will only add valuable experience and knowledge to help out other attackers like Moore and Hawke 

3 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

Time will tell if Gow even signs for us, never mind if he turns out to be a decent addition to the squad but good to know you've already decided.

Your both talking pish. It was some boy called Trialist. Alfie I think.

22 minutes ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

He’s back training...

Good stuff. Like what I've seen from him. I'm hoping we can keep the bulk of this squad together for next season. I think we've got the makings of something decent, but I don't think we'll have the consistency for the playoffs this season. I'm hopeful that we can improve when the bulk of these guys have 30+ games under their belts and have been over the course. 

I think it could be a season where we'll win games we're not expected to win and lose games we'd hope to pick up results in. It's already happened to some extent. There will be other nights like last night as well. Important to appreciate where we are and that these things take time. 

3 hours ago, qpfc said:
22 hours ago, spider1867 said:

home..... disgusting

Don't understand your obsession with youth players. If they're good enough, they will get an opportunity. No risk trying out Gow, great pedigree and will only add valuable experience and knowledge to help out other attackers like Moore and Hawke 

It's not an obsession. I don't understand taking on someone who could not even get a game for Stirling Albion. I'm all for some experience to help the younger players but bring it in when it going to help not hinder there progress. 

I believe going by what is said about last night we need to freshen up a couple of positions to keep players on their toes. Agree with another poster that Moore or east could be better coming of the bench when teams are getting tired. 

Billy,Josh and Adam seem to be bombed out since Mark has taken charge. 

How did young Lewis play last night? Is he a better option than Dom?

Young Mcgrory back in training is a bonus for us he looked interesting before getting injured. 

The thing that annoys me most is another manager giving Fotheringham a game :-(

It's not an obsession. I don't understand taking on someone who could not even get a game for Stirling Albion. I'm all for some experience to help the younger players but bring it in when it going to help not hinder there progress. 
I believe going by what is said about last night we need to freshen up a couple of positions to keep players on their toes. Agree with another poster that Moore or east could be better coming of the bench when teams are getting tired. 
Young Mcgrory back in training is a bonus for us he looked interesting before getting injured. 

Fotheringham had a precise position to play in front of central defence to protect McGhee. He was far from the worst last night. In fact did his role well. You don’t seem to understand he’s a defensive midfielder.

McGhee -and - Gerry were okay with the ball in front of them but when attacked from the sides, not so good. First goal was in the LB pocket, again, with Summers well off the ball player, again. He had a good game going forward but needs some coaching for positions.

Individuals aside it’s becoming s worrying norm that defenders and midfielders are happy to boot a ball as far as they can without even looking up. Far too much soft loss of possession.

Not excited about Saturday at all.

Just for the record, Ronnie Simpson was 14 when he first played for Queen’s. Derek Johnstone was 17 when he scored a cup final winner against Celtic.

54 minutes ago, spider1867 said:

Someone not working out at another club is irrelevant. Think of the other experienced guys we've had. Were Ally Graham, Paul Ronald, Paul Harvey or Andy Millen setting the heather alight immediately before coming to QP? No. They all made a valuable contribution to the club, though. Hopefully Alan Gow can do similar if he hangs around. 

We have to trust the judgement of the manager and give him time to put his stamp on things. That doesn't mean a few games. That means this season with an inexperienced, but reasonably talented squad and it means beyond next summer when he's had the chance to make his first moves in terms of proper recruitment and building. Like every manager, he won't get everything right but slaughtering him with words like "disgusting" for bringing in an experienced pro is incredibly silly. 

Lets see how many stay around after Xmas as a pool of 26 plus is far too many and now trialists appearing means Mgr cant fancy a number of players who aren't even getting stripped...why has Smart vanished or is he injured?..Lachlan seems well out of favour and surely he can freshen up middle of park and provide experience?...Ali Miller is he not a LB?..Brendan Sharpe?..Daniel Nimmo an imposing CB may be a better option to Magee?..and whatever happened to the other Kindlan as don't think he has featured at all.

A few of these could do with some game time especially when some players are struggling for form?!

I think my jinx is well and truly over! Another Cowdenbeath game, another victory for the Blue Brazil! 

It is fair to say, the game wasn't great; it was a poor spectacle overall with very little quality: I don't think that particularly reflects the ability of both squads, tbh. 

Gary Fraser caused problems early on with a few decent set-piece deliveries but nothing came of it after some last gasp defending by the Spiders. 

The first half kinda fizzled out after that early onslaught IMO and both managers were probably happy come half-time. 

Josh Skelly came on and certainly made the difference - he made a good run and stayed composed to roll the ball across goal for Renton to open the scoring before being in the right place, at the right time, to seal the 3 points with a lovely lob over the stranded GK and into the empty net. 

I spoke with both managers post-match, on behalf of Kingdom FM, as well as my website. You can hear the full audio files, below;

Gary Bollan

Mark Roberts

Both teams have big matches this weekend - Queen's Park face an extremely tough task away to the league leaders, Edinburgh City, while Cowden face Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill. A win for both sides would really cement down their ambitions of trying to get into the promotion playoff spots, as well as creating what must be an unsurmountable gap over 10th spot. 

Good luck to both teams! :)

6 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

Perhaps our opponents have become wise to the weakness of Summers. Shame, he gives everything every week and is reasonable going forward. We don't seem to have an alternative to try?

He just needs a wee bit coaching. He's a quick learner.  Happens a lot with attacking full backs. Andy Robertson is better known for his sweeping cross balls than deadly tackles. The young Mick Dunlop gave wingers so much time and space they could read the paper and have a fag. I haven't seen Quinno about in the last few weeks, not sure who's coaching the defenders. It's a difficult balance trying to keep a winning team and finding time for player development. Mark's got another big choice for Saturday; McLaren v McGhee. No doubt Gerry will have a say.

It's just a few weeks since we were winning The Treble so it's not wholesale change we need, just a bit of tweaking maybe. Roberts made reference a few weeks ago about starting the same team when winning so logically he might think about freshening it up when losing. Maybe not this week though. City won't show us much mercy while we're reorganising the team. If we get a tonking with our regular starters he's every right to give the second tier a go.

27 minutes ago, strachan186772 said:

For Sat's game against City, I think McLaren might be the safer and better option and give Magee a start the following week against Stirling. 

Who would you guys choose to start? 

Think Dom has done enough to go back in straight from suspension. Magee will get his chance throughout the season as a result of suspensions and injuries. He was far from the worst the other night, but couldn't justify playing him in front of McLaren at this point.

2 hours ago, strachan186772 said:

For Sat's game against City, I think McLaren might be the safer and better option and give Magee a start the following week against Stirling. 

Who would you guys choose to start? 

Mclaren for sure, been very impressed with him. Dominant in the air and reads the game very well.

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 21:34, The Minertaur said:

We'll lose on Saturday. Seen this far too many times!

Looks like an excellent result tonight.

I,alas,am a pessimist like you,heres hoping we get a decent result on Saturday though, means we could relax after the horrors of the last 2 seasons

What other changes would anyone make. Do we think Mark will change it up any lots of squad players not getting any game time. As previous poster stated if he is looking at trialists he must not trust the rest of the squad. 

Dean, Josh, Gavin,Adam, Billy all must be wondering what they need to do to get some time. Young players like Ali and Lewis seem only to be cover players. Gibby still to come back. 

Daniel Kindlan has never looked fit in the ressy  games I seen him play(only 2 that I remember).

Only other younger player getting a look in was Calvin but that was for Gus.

So they all have to prove themselves again for Mark. 

Archived