Dundee v Queens

Northfield 53

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I take it  quite a few of the new signings were not available due to them not being signed for the first match?

Aye, a right back who couldn't get a game for Scunthorpe and a diddy from the Swedish second tier.

If they'd have played it might have been 2-0.

1 minute ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Dinnae tell me there was a live commentary?? It didn't appear in the schedule if so

The last 15 minutes of each half. The  Stenny -Aberdeen was the feature game and kicked off earlier.

It's a funny old game.  We were far better in the away tie than we were tonight, Dundee basically unraveled and gifted us the match with one of the worst defensive performances I've seen in a long time.  Very reminiscent of the time we absolutely bodied a Pat Fenlon led Hibs side a few years back.  The big beanpole Inniss getting hooked in the first half is one of the highlights of the season, but to be fair to McIntyre he could have tossed a coin over who to take off as Kusunga was just as bad.  The left back Ralph had one of those second halves were it stops being funny and you actually pity the player.  Everything he touched turned to shit as he sliced his passes, kicked it straight out of the park or just missed it completely.

The tactics were spot on from Naysmith although he didn't really have to alter much as the way we play suited our opponents perfectly.  As I said at half time we just sat back, let Dundee f**k it up and then played it forward at pace.  Dundee couldn't handle the pace, strength and skill of Stirling, Dykes and Dobbie.  Dobbie will rightly take the plaudits with his fifth hat trick of the season, but Dykes was once again absolutely immense.  Fordyce and Maguire had the cigars out for the majority of the game and Marshall was his usual energetic self.  Mercer had a few dodgy moments but I'm trying my best to give him the benefit of the doubt as he is at least reducing the number that he has.  Low looked like he was playing within himself a bit which is understandable if he is carrying a knock.  I can't imagine he has trained much so just getting him on the pitch was a bonus.  Jacobs had a horror show, he was as good as an extra player for Dundee at times.  I'd like to see a replay of the penalty incident, but as I said before at the time it looked like he'd had a nosebleed in the opposition box and tripped over his own feet.

The key difference in this game to the first one was that we got the second goal before the interval and kept Dundee at bay (did Martin make any saves in 180 minutes?).  This allowed us to  manage the second half very comfortably and basically turn it into a non-event.  Dundee's half time pep-talk amounted to a flurry of crosses for the first 2 or 3 minutes.  After that they looked dejected and it was as relaxed a 40 minutes as you can ever get being a Queens fan.

2 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

It's a funny old game.  We were far better in the away tie than we were tonight, Dundee basically unraveled and gifted us the match with one of the worst defensive performances I've seen in a long time.  Very reminiscent of the time we absolutely bodied a Pat Fenlon led Hibs side a few years back.  The big beanpole Inniss getting hooked in the first half is one of the highlights of the season, but to be fair to McIntyre he could have tossed a coin over who to take off as Kusunga was just as bad.  The left back Ralph had one of those second halves were it stops being funny and you actually pity the player.  Everything he touched turned to shit as he sliced his passes, kicked it straight out of the park or just missed it completely.

The tactics were spot on from Naysmith although he didn't really have to alter much as the way we play suited our opponents perfectly.  As I said at half time we just sat back, let Dundee f**k it up and then played it forward at pace.  Dundee couldn't handle the pace, strength and skill of Stirling, Dykes and Dobbie.  Dobbie will rightly take the plaudits with his fifth hat trick of the season, but Dykes was once again absolutely immense.  Fordyce and Maguire had the cigars out for the majority of the game and Marshall was his usual energetic self.  Mercer had a few dodgy moments but I'm trying my best to give him the benefit of the doubt as he is at least reducing the number that he has.  Low looked like he was playing within himself a bit which is understandable if he is carrying a knock.  I can't imagine he has trained much so just getting him on the pitch was a bonus.  Jacobs had a horror show, he was as good as an extra player for Dundee at times.  I'd like to see a replay of the penalty incident, but as I said before at the time it looked like he'd had a nosebleed in the opposition box and tripped over his own feet.

The key difference in this game to the first one was that we got the second goal before the interval and kept Dundee at bay (did Martin make any saves in 180 minutes?).  This allowed us to  manage the second half very comfortably and basically turn it into a non-event.  Dundee's half time pep-talk amounted to a flurry of crosses for the first 2 or 3 minutes.  After that they looked dejected and it was as relaxed a 40 minutes as you can ever get being a Queens fan.

They have had 2 shots on target in 180 minutes of football, I think from the updates Martin did actually make a save tonight.

That was excellent tonight. A couple of early crosses from Dundee gave me the fear early on but outwith that they offered nothing. It was game over at 1-0 really. You could see any confidence vanish once we took the lead. You can see what Naysmith is doing with us just now and when we have the personnel it's very effective. Dundee had 64% of the possession and managed one shot on target. Very similar to when Ayr visited. We're happy to let sides have the ball as we seem to be able to soak it up (crosses aside [emoji14]). It's tactically very good and we're now seeing a world class defender at work.

For me Dobbie, Dykes, Stirling, Maguire and Fordyce were the stand-outs. Excellent shifts from every one of them. The rest had good games as well but those 5 were exceptional for me. Low didn't look 100% but thankfully has come through unscathed. Jacobs did the dirty work well until he got the ball at his feet. IMO that was his worse game distribution wise in months. Numerous times he had a simple pass to make, failed and handed possession to Dundee. Really poor. An excellent team performance all round though.

McLean was once again very poor IMO and the linesman at the East Stand got at least one big decision wrong (on first viewing).

Hopefully Doyle's isn't too bad and he's back for Saturday.

If that was a typical Dundee performance then fair play to those who travelled down tonight and a safe journey back.

I love Dobbie so so much. What a guy. Play like that against Aberdeen and we'll have a chance.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

That was excellent tonight. A couple of early crosses from Dundee gave me the fear early on but outwith that they offered nothing. It was game over at 1-0 really. You could see any confidence vanish once we took the lead. You can see what Naysmith is doing with us just now and when we have the personnel it's very effective. Dundee had 64% of the possession and managed one shot on target. Very similar to when Ayr visited. We're happy to let sides have the ball as we seem to be able to soak it up (crosses aside :P). It's tactically very good and we're now seeing a world class defender at work.

Settle :lol:

Archived