Dundee v Queens

Northfield 53

Happy to go there and get a replay, but we really should have been winning that. I thought the first half was fairly even, so going in to half time level seemed fair, even though Dundee scored with their only real chance.

Second half I thought that we were comfortably the more dangerous side. Josh Todd in particular was outstanding. Dundee were limited to a couple of free kicks and a near f**k up between our centre backs and goalkeeper. 

Our other players need to learn to throw themselves at the 6 yard box when Todd is on the ball, if they had done so today we'd have been through.

Dundee's goalkeeper really impressed me, not through outstanding saves, but the way he martialed the box.

I look forward to the replay, should be worth a trip down from Perth midweek.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

The stats and views of both managers would suggest I’m bang on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46847742

Going by most of the media reports I read  we were unlucky. Going into the game I strongly fancied our chances, so a wee bit disappointed.

That said, I think  to turn them over at Palmerston.

A TV game? 

47 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

I don't fancy us in the replay at all.  The only glimmer of hope is that we should have a few more bodies in who'll hopefully upgrade is in areas where we're clearly lacking.

At least we're still in the draw and I won't need to watch it tomorrow and cry with envy.

You cant play in a replay if you werent eligible for the original tie. 

49 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

I don't fancy us in the replay at all.  The only glimmer of hope is that we should have a few more bodies in who'll hopefully upgrade is in areas where we're clearly lacking.

At least we're still in the draw and I won't need to watch it tomorrow and cry with envy.

Have to disagree. While it was subpar as usual, I saw glimmers of potential improvement throughout the game. At points we looked really comfortable, just needed to get some extra oomph. And from what I saw, players like Dales and Nelson look to be able to pounce on that, and I feel they'd give a good account of themselves given a full 90 mins. Only big issue is it's in 10 days, and we will have played 2 more games by then, so I hope the team is fit enough for the challenge, because it will be tough.

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You cant play in a replay if you werent eligible for the original tie. 

Great. 

1 minute ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Have to disagree. While it was subpar as usual, I saw glimmers of potential improvement throughout the game. At points we looked really comfortable, just needed to get some extra oomph. And from what I saw, players like Dales and Nelson look to be able to pounce on that, and I feel they'd give a good account of themselves given a full 90 mins. Only big issue is it's in 10 days, and we will have played 2 more games by then, so I hope the team is fit enough for the challenge, because it will be tough.

The first half was terrible and the second half was slightly better. We may have looked comfortable but how many chances did we actually create? Hardly any from my memory. Sometimes we look comfortable in games because our opponents are happy enough to let us keep the ball when they know we're not going to do anything with it.

In spite of Queens looking very decent and having one of the most lethal strikers in the country, they're a championship team and the vast majority of outfits we come up against will be of better quality. I don't see how anyone could have watched that performance today and taken confidence that we'll kick on in the league.

And I agree that Dales and Nelson looked like improvements but when you consider that they replaced Deacon who was practically invisible and Curran who had a poor game it's not a massive compliment.

I know I sound negative as f**k and I hate it, but we're still a poor, poor team.

“I'm pleased to still be in the cup if I'm being brutally honest.”

J. McIntyre 2019

So you weren’t at the game?

Obviously he’s pleased we’re still in the cup, is he meant to be raging we’re not out?[emoji1]

44 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

First half was pretty awful, felt like McCann was back in charge with the amount of back-passing and painting the edges of the box without running through it. QoS' direct attack was much more dangerous, and the goal was inevitable sadly. Of course I had to go out and miss our equaliser, but it was definitely against the run of play.

The second half was more positive, and I feel it's safe to say we were easily the better side throughout it. New subs were a breath of fresh air and made us look legit dangerous at times. However, our inability to take defenders on once again led to a grand total of 0 shots on target in the second half. We need to get far more aggressive in attacking, as I want to give up every time we just run around, looking busy but with nothing happening. Also, we have to be the slowest team in Scotland. No wonder we're so bad when other teams break, cos we're never prepared for it. Overall, some positives over the team last year but a lot of the same as well. At least the Championship side we played is hot right now, making the result look a little better.

Individual Player Summaries

Dieng - Promising stuff, plethora of good saves that kept us in the game. Hopefully we see more of that than his conduct prior to Dobbie's goal.
Kerr - Thought he played well today, some good decisions won. Passing was a bit off at times though, but he's not unique in that regard.
Inniss - Pretty poor, no wonder he's like our 4th choice CB. All he has is height really, allowing for easy headers and occasionally good tackles,  but seems to switch off far too much.
Kusunga - Same as per usual. When he's playing well, he's the best defender we have with his composure and touch. When he's not, he's a bombscare actively trying to let the other team score. Was largely decent today IMO.
Ralph - Decent. Can't really think of anything he did that affected us negatively.

J. Curran - Aside from the goal he scored, he looked pretty iffy. Some bad choices with the ball, and rough passing. However, it's good to see somebody having a go, and we need more of that.
Woods - Was ok. Didn't do anything too remarkable today.
McGowan - Same as Woods. Our midfield isn't too inspiring, to say the least.
Deacon - Pish. Sad to say it cos I like him, but he just wasn't up to the task today.

C. Curran - Seemed alright from what I remember. Was always on the ball, keeping up with play and occasionally threatening. Hopefully he can become more of an impact player.
Miller - Hardly noticed him during the game. When I did, it was when he made a decision which baffled me. I'd hoped the experienced veteran on our team wouldn't make so many bizarre errors.

Dales - Breath of fresh air compared to Deacon in the 2nd half. Seems hungry and has skill, though his pace varied from fast to surprisingly slow. Look forward to see him in the future.
Nelson - Most exciting player of the day. The pace and game awareness of this boy is immense, and almost created goal opportunities out of nothing. Very promising stuff, excited to see what he can do for the full 90 mins.

Safe to say you were the better side in the second half ? 

Martin didn't have a save to make and I genuinely can't remember you even having a shot. Dobbie had  a good shot tipped over and three or four very dangerous balls flashing across your goal. Disappointing to leave with just a replay but good performance and nothing to fear a week on Tuesday. 

So you weren’t at the game?

Obviously he’s pleased we’re still in the cup, is he meant to be raging we’re not out?[emoji1]

I was at the game, but unlike you I hadn’t been smoking crack before it.

Genuinely baffled Dundee fans are viewing that as a positive performance. It really must have been a poor season up until today. We battered them for probably 70 minutes today. I can’t remember a single Martin save.

"Queen of the South were better than us"
J. McIntyre, 2019.

You didn’t really put us under any pressure at all to be honest. Still think a draw was fair - which is a depressing thought. Hopefully we turn up in the replay.

Just now, RossDee01 said:

You didn’t really put us under any pressure at all to be honest. Still think a draw was fair - which is a depressing thought. Hopefully we turn up in the replay.

Did you sleep through the second half? That's the only rational reason I can come up with for your analysis of the game.

I was at the game, but unlike you I hadn’t been smoking crack before it.

Genuinely baffled Dundee fans are viewing that as a positive performance. It really must have been a poor season up until today. We battered them for probably 70 minutes today. I can’t remember a single Martin save.

Literally not 1 person has said it’s a positive performance[emoji1] Every Dundee fan, including me, has said we were shite. That doesn’t mean you were the better team - just that we were shite, which we were. Neither keeper made a save which wasn’t comfortably straight at him like I’ve said. If I genuinely thought you were the better team I would hold my hands up like I have in every other game we’ve played this season.

2 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Literally not 1 person has said it’s a positive performanceemoji1.png Every Dundee fan, including me, has said we were shite. That doesn’t mean you were the better team - just that we were shite, which we were. Neither keeper made a save which wasn’t comfortably straight at him, like I’ve said.

Diving saves from your keeper with the Dobbie header first half and then the tip over the bar in the second are the two that come to mind. Think we will likely get four trips to Dundee next season. 

Literally not 1 person has said it’s a positive performance[emoji1] Every Dundee fan, including me, has said we were shite. That doesn’t mean you were the better team - just that we were shite, which we were. Neither keeper made a save which wasn’t comfortably straight at him like I’ve said. If I genuinely thought you were the better team I would hold my hands up like I have in every other game we’ve played this season.
So Queens were shite?

Archived