Queens v Partick

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, MOTD Wannabee said:

Good highlights. I don't think we learned an awful lot from them other than that I'd forgotten Marsh got one off the line first half too.

Dobbie's finish isn't as good as I thought it was. Keeper should have saved it really.

The angle of the "offside" goal isn't wide enough to clear it up. I guess Thistle's coverage is better but as it's behind a paywall we'll have to just accept it was very close.

The penalty shout is indeed a stonewaller. Absolutely dodged a bullet there.

45 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Good highlights. I don't think we learned an awful lot from them other than that I'd forgotten Marsh got one off the line first half too.

Dobbie's finish isn't as good as I thought it was. Keeper should have saved it really.

The angle of the "offside" goal isn't wide enough to clear it up. I guess Thistle's coverage is better but as it's behind a paywall we'll have to just accept it was very close.

The penalty shout is indeed a stonewaller. Absolutely dodged a bullet there.

It's Dobbie's first touch that creates the chance that's so brilliant.  The finish is, as you say, nothing special and perhaps a little lucky to evade the goalkeeper.  I think Dykes was also a little fortunate not to concede a foul just before it.

The penalty really does look as clear as can be.

All in all, we were a bit fortunate on Saturday.

Dykes determination to win the ball was excellent for the goal, but the pass through for Dobbie :wub:

McLean definitely leaving his cards at home then. Swarmed by the Thistle players as well and still failed to produce a card.

Although it’s pretty clearcut, I can also see why it wasn’t given. The ball is heading out of play, and the Thistle player is airborne before the contact. He’s probably trying to hurdle Doyle rather than diving, but it does look a bit like he is trying to jump into him to win the foul.

All that said, it’s really reckless and clumsy from Doyle and deserves to be punished really. There is certainly no sign of him pulling out of the challenge as he suggests in the interview.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Whether or not the attacker is catching the ball is irrelevant in terms of whether it's a foul or not.

All it does is highlight the lunacy of the challenge.

Its irrelevant as long as the ball is actually in play (which it was, but only just). 

I know I have quoted this before but in illustrating the point that the position of the ball is irrelevant there is no better example than one awarded against us at Stranraer in the late 90s. Ian Harty goaded Andy Aitken into a retaliatory punch in our box when the ball had already been cleared into the other half. The linesman saw it so it was a penalty and a red card for Aitken regardless of both players being in a different half to the ball.

Whether or not the attacker is catching the ball is irrelevant in terms of whether it's a foul or not.
All it does is highlight the lunacy of the challenge.

I know but I’m just trying to play devil’s advocate a bit, and also second guess what the officials have seen.

They’ve either decided the ball was already out before the contact, or they think he initiated the contact. I can’t see any other possible reason not to give it.

51 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I know but I’m just trying to play devil’s advocate a bit, and also second guess what the officials have seen.

They’ve either decided the ball was already out before the contact, or they think he initiated the contact. I can’t see any other possible reason not to give it.

Sometimes I think people can be daft when saying "if it's not a penalty, then book him for diving" because you can get situations when it's neither a foul or a dive.

On this occasion though, the way the player catapulted through the air, the only real explanation for not awarding the penalty surely would involve simulation.  That's what Derek Ferguson initially thought.  The fact that no such thing was indicated though, leaves me baffled.  I wonder what the ref said to the upset Thistle players by way of explanation.

On a separate note, it drives me mad how the situation came about.  We'd survived an attack and Jacobs had the ball at his feet.  Rather than kill it and find a pass though, he launched it into their empty half while everyone retreated to again invite them in close.  We're terribly guilty of that in games where we're hanging onto something.  It's maddening because it can be costly as was the case with ICT, and probably should have been again at the weekend.

44 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Sometimes I think people can be daft when saying "if it's not a penalty, then book him for diving" because you can get situations when it's neither a foul or a dive.

On this occasion though, the way the player catapulted through the air, the only real explanation for not awarding the penalty surely would involve simulation.  That's what Derek Ferguson initially thought.  The fact that no such thing was indicated though, leaves me baffled.  I wonder what the ref said to the upset Thistle players by way of explanation.

On a separate note, it drives me mad how the situation came about.  We'd survived an attack and Jacobs had the ball at his feet.  Rather than kill it and find a pass though, he launched it into their empty half while everyone retreated to again invite them in close.  We're terribly guilty of that in games where we're hanging onto something.  It's maddening because it can be costly as was the case with ICT, and probably should have been again at the weekend.

Your first and last paragraphs are both huge bugbears of mine.  I was seething when Jacobs did that on Saturday.  Show a bit of composure for f**k sake.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This. Absolutely this.

He`s under minimal pressure and there`s a QOS player in a load of space wide left.  Ironically when the previous attack is dealt with it`s Jacobs who is trying to get gthe team to push out.

Really poor.

Keeper should of saved it - really??? 
Exactly. Keeper has done what any would've done when faced with a one on one situation. Narrowed the angle and spread himself. Dobbie either got lucky by hitting n hoping and fortuitously getting it past the keeper or he was very skilful and picked his a spot.

I'm still not convinced on the penalty front. For sure I'd be fuming if I was a Thistle fan but I'd like to see an angle from behind the goal.  Wonder if the Thistle player deviates from the straight line in his run through and basically runs  into Doyle, whop dpes to be fair stop his left leg before it goes fully through.  Its definitely not the contact with the defender that creates the somersault either so to some degree at least  the Thistle player is playing for it.

2 hours ago, steakpiegravy said:

I'm still not convinced on the penalty front. For sure I'd be fuming if I was a Thistle fan but I'd like to see an angle from behind the goal.  Wonder if the Thistle player deviates from the straight line in his run through and basically runs  into Doyle, whop dpes to be fair stop his left leg before it goes fully through.  Its definitely not the contact with the defender that creates the somersault either so to some degree at least  the Thistle player is playing for it.

Just as I thought,  parachute landing training being put into practice. 

Archived