(Another) Ayrshire Derby - Auchinleck vs Ayr

D'Jaffo

For this to be competitive, Talbot will have to be 5 or 6 goals better than Beith which they probably aren’t.

I understand the bluster & bravado that Junior fans often demonstrate in these instances. It’s a chance to redress the balance and right any perceived wrongs, like we might against a Celtic or Rangers but come full time, they’ll likely fall a considerable distance short.

Always viewed Talbot with a degree of Ayrshire pride and wish them well in their pursuit of Junior honours but this should be a straightforward away win that I’ll enjoy having supped beers before & after in an Auchinleck hostelry.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For this to be competitive, Talbot will have to be 5 or 6 goals better than Beith which they probably aren’t.

I understand the bluster & bravado that Junior fans often demonstrate in these instances. It’s a chance to redress the balance and right any perceived wrongs, like we might against a Celtic or Rangers but come full time, they’ll likely fall a considerable distance short.

Always viewed Talbot with a degree of Ayrshire pride and wish them well in their pursuit of Junior honours but this should be a straightforward away win that I’ll enjoy having supped beers before & after in an Auchinleck hostelry.

That's a fair account and what most Talbot fans expect to happen, but let's us hope for a very off day for utd.

Ayr have nowt to lose and neither have we so it should be an entertaining match.

Imho I think the decent Ayr supporters don't have anything negative about us. The ones that do probably don't even attend Ayr games.

59 minutes ago, Talbot 1978 said:

That's a fair account and what most Talbot fans expect to happen, but let's us hope for a very off day for utd.

Ayr have nowt to lose and neither have we so it should be an entertaining match.

Imho I think the decent Ayr supporters don't have anything negative about us. The ones that do probably don't even attend Ayr games.

How many tickets did Ayr sell for the Beith game? It’s all about money is it not?

5 hours ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

Of course you understand the bravado and  I get it.You will also understand  that when supporters of the ugly sisters start to disrespect your club, and fans start throwing personal insults the threads a boggie.

Had Ayr drawn any of the premier teams most Ayrshire football fans would be hoping for an upset, "Mon the wee team." Everybody loves the underdogs pulling off an upset. So, "Mon the Talbot"

11 hours ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

That’s a good story.  Except by mid-January Shankland could be away.  And the game could be played in a monsoon.  And we could have injuries and suspensions to 3 or 4 key players (which seems to be regular feature of our season of late).   In January of last season we basically had an entire midfield sitting injured in the stand, though it did push us to sign Bell and Kerr who’ve turned out to be excellent signings.

This could easily be a banana skin for us - the implication that Talbot would need something like a 5 goal start to win the game is idiotic.

11 hours ago, Talbot 1978 said:

Unsure how you could come to the conclusion that Ayr have nothing to lose, it would be a complete beamer to be eliminated from the cup by a Junior team, regardless of who they are.

Won't happen though. 

10 hours ago, Glenconner said:

How many tickets did Ayr sell for the Beith game? It’s all about money is it not?

Think we sold about 860 in the days before the game, but there were a few that bought tickets for the away end on the day. No turnstiles though so can't get any final figure.

Think we sold about 860 in the days before the game, but there were a few that bought tickets for the away end on the day. No turnstiles though so can't get any final figure.

Ayr have nowt to lose, meaning if they win they are expected to win, if they lose then they will be hounded.

Either way they can't win lol

I see this game as no different to the Beith game, other than it's at the other end of Ayrshire.

Ayr at the moment are vastly superior to ALL junior clubs in Scotland and I'd also happily go on record and say ALL part time teams in Scotland, irrespective of whether they're Junior or Senior.

We have a top class pool of players (for this level), we have guys who know how to mix it and with the experience to go, we have the full time fitness and we have plenty of different options should we need it and of course this team is used to winning.

Like I've said on previous threads, I hate getting drawn into this childish battle between Junior and Senior fans (and of course our resident Kille supporting Cretin), however the task facing Talbot is enormous and I can really see nothing other than another comfortable Ayr win and I mean no disrespect to Auchinleck when I say that.

If I'm proved wrong, then I'll happily come on here and eat large slices of humble pie..................

Im really looking forward to the game if we are being serious  Talbot should have no chance but its cup fitba and im praying like feck for a result, we are delighted to be in the 4th round if it ends there then so be it i have enjoyed following my team all over the country on this cup run i have memories that will last a lifetime, we will welcome Ayr to beechwood and hope to give them a decent game if we get gubbed so be it it wont be the first or last time so roll on the 19th of jan and get it started look forward to seeing you all there#eekapeeka

That’s a good story.  Except by mid-January Shankland could be away.  And the game could be played in a monsoon.  And we could have injuries and suspensions to 3 or 4 key players (which seems to be regular feature of our season of late).   In January of last season we basically had an entire midfield sitting injured in the stand, though it did push us to sign Bell and Kerr who’ve turned out to be excellent signings.
This could easily be a banana skin for us - the implication that Talbot would need something like a 5 goal start to win the game is idiotic.

It was nothing more than a subtle wee dig at the opposition, fairly commonplace on Internet forums.

Keep an eye on your blood pressure, you might need a wee lie doon.

The last one was not a knock out game.  Killie have by far the upper hand in league and cup games between the clubs and are so superior we never meet in the league. I would suggest that in the games you allude to that Killie have failed to score in only four. The last time that Ayr had a wee run in the big league I recall a 6-1 hammering inflicted by the Killie. As for cup games the Killie destroyed Ayr once 5-0 at Scummerset. Aye history has Killie out way on top.  You mentioned almost 15 years but you failed to mention that when Ayr beat Killie in the section last year when Killie did get through that it was the first Ayr win over Killie for sixteen years. Back in your box.

History has Killie way out on top? Google the head to head record and get back to me pal.

9 hours ago, happy said:

Had Ayr drawn any of the premier teams most Ayrshire football fans would be hoping for an upset, "Mon the wee team." Everybody loves the underdogs pulling off an upset. So, "Mon the Talbot"

Are you chastising the Ayr fans for not supporting Talbot to win? :blink:

5 hours ago, ASC_FTK said:

History has Killie way out on top? Google the head to head record and get back to me pal.

So is this over 10 years, 20 years, 30 years? 108 years? head to head record?

Can only can be recent cup games, as we have not often been in same league due to ayrs below average league record versus Killie. 

Question...Would you prefer maybe 5-6 cup wins in 10-15 years over Killie and happily have bounced about the seaside leagues, or been in top league winning both cups, multiple final appearances and often in Europe?

How do you define success over Killie?

19 minutes ago, flood said:

Can only can be recent cup games, as we have not often been in same league due to ayrs below average league record versus Killie. 

Question...Would you prefer maybe 5-6 cup wins in 10-15 years over Killie and happily have bounced about the seaside leagues, or been in top league winning both cups, multiple final appearances and often in Europe?

Our "success" is not robbing the bank of £9 million  and then having it written off, so we could tell everyone we're a "big team"' 

23 minutes ago, flood said:

Often in Europe lol. Going to Benidorm at the kilmarnock fair doesn't count.

Archived