(Another) Ayrshire Derby - Auchinleck vs Ayr

D'Jaffo

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, jm86 said:

As has been argued ad nauseam already, Ayr have been like that for about 5 weeks now. Turgid to say the least, even with Shankland. We played a decent first half against Ross County on Dec 15 and since then have played one semi-decent half against Queens away. Happens to all teams. For Talbot fans to assume Ayr are a crap team, or the likes of Harvey is a crap fullback on the basis of one game is simply ludicrous. Quite how a team goes from averaging 2.5 goals a game to averaging 0.2 over the last 5 games is hard to fathom. We have good players, better than Talbot’s obviously, and they don’t become bad overnight. Presumably we will emerge from this trough eventually.

Stats aren’t everything, but normally with 21 attempts, 7 on target, you might expect at least a goal. We had several shots which went very close, but by and large our shooting was crap. Talbot keeper only had to make one save that was other than routine (from McDaid). Talbot had 4 attempts on goal, one on target.  How this translates into Talbot outplaying Ayr, which some on both sides have claimed, escapes me. I don’t know if that was a good Talbot performance by their own standards as I’ve never seen them before. But I was impressed with their defence, restricted Ayr to long range shots by and large. Moore’s sitter was about our only clear cut chance. They also looked dangerous going forward, specially down the left. 

Ayr should never have lost that, bad as we played. We were denied a stonewall penalty, for example, which Talbot fans can hardly deny, having seen the highlights (lowlights ?) However, congratulations to Talbot. They at least scored with the one sitter they were granted by Mr. Higgins. Hope they get a decent draw in the next round, one they have a chance in or a money spinner.  Wouldn’t mind seeing Kilmarnock getting humped at Beechwood. Might shut them up or we’re gong to be reminded of this result for decades to come

Correct.

WFAANW.

19 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I have no respect for Junior teams that think they deserve respect whilst rejecting the chance to actually test themselves in a proper league, preferring to stay as the big boys in the pub league. If Talbot finally grow some balls then my opinion will change.

At the same time I hope Talbot get a good draw, deserve it after the performance yesterday and they’re still an Ayrshire team.

don't wanna say to much but Ayr United are a glorified Junior outfit ... Somerset park is akin to a junior ground , it's a well known fact Talbot, The 'Nock, The Medda and the Buffs are all better supported than Ayr   .... it's now official Ayr are Ayrshire's 3rd team

the Truth is Junior clubs are well run and are a well oiled machine, you can't say the same for senior clubs , clubs like Talbot, The 'Nock, Medda, Glens, The Buffs etc don't need need senior status ... these games are far more important and bigger draws than playing the likes of Peterheid, Airdrie, Dunfermline etc .. the 5 junior clubs i mentioned have more cash than the clubs in league 1 & 2  ..... being originally fae Muirkirk i have the utmost respect for the Ayrshire juniors game 

22 minutes ago, Godric1970 said:

don't wanna say to much but Ayr United are a glorified Junior outfit ... Somerset park is akin to a junior ground , it's a well known fact Talbot, The 'Nock, The Medda and the Buffs are all better supported than Ayr   .... it's now official Ayr are Ayrshire's 3rd team

:lol:

44 minutes ago, Godric1970 said:

the 5 junior clubs i mentioned have more cash than the clubs in league 1 & 2 

9 minutes ago, Talbot supporter said:

The travelling expenses etc would kill ayrshire junior teams if they went up the pyramid, going to the likes of Elgin Annan peterhead etc, it's just not financially viable.

For reference the averages of the six lowest SPFL clubs (nabbed from a HibeeJibee thread)

492    Berwick

398    Annan

362    Edinburgh City

338    Stranraer

334    Cowdenbeath

260    Albion Rovers

in amongst this theres also some EOS & 1 LL club out attending some SPFL clubs. Also during their SPFL days I'd guess East Stirling would be around Albion Rovers numbers or even lower.

The Simple fact is the likes of Peterhead etc wouldn't bring in anywhere near the numbers to Beechwood Park as the Nock, Medda, Glens and the Buffs these are all big games and the money involved as well .... the Ayrshire juniors are more profitable and better run than the two lower senior leagues .... in the Scottish Junior Cup the junior teams have to play other junior clubs from around Scotland ... what would kill Talbot is the lack of rivalry like their is between the other Ayrshire teams  

11 minutes ago, Talbot supporter said:

The travelling expenses etc would kill ayrshire junior teams if they went up the pyramid, going to the likes of Elgin Annan peterhead etc, it's just not financially viable.

Annan is in fact closer than where you'll be going in the next round of the cup...

Though I'd expect some of the £43,000 for just competing in League Two, £5,000 for Scottish Cup R2, £17,000 for the Betfred Cup group stage (+£12,500 if televised), and Irn Bru Cup money, will cover the travelling expenses.

21 minutes ago, virginton said:

Can't be as big a club as you think you are then if the likes of Elgin and Berwick can sustain national level football and you diddies can't. 

:rolleyes:

Annan is in fact closer than where you'll be going in the next round of the cup...
Though I'd expect some of the £43,000 for just competing in League Two, £5,000 for Scottish Cup R2, £17,000 for the Betfred Cup group stage (+£12,500 if televised), and Irn Bru Cup money, will cover the travelling expenses.
Take the cup money out of it as that's a bonus, 43k a season to compete in league 2? If that's right then it is good but still a big gamble imo

The Simple fact is the likes of Peterhead etc wouldn't bring in anywhere near the numbers to Beechwood Park as the Nock, Medda, Glens and the Buffs these are all big games and the money involved as well .... the Ayrshire juniors are more profitable and better run than the two lower senior leagues .... in the Scottish Junior Cup the junior teams have to play other junior clubs from around Scotland ... what would kill Talbot is the lack of rivalry like their is between the other Ayrshire teams  
Correct

On 1/20/2019 at 12:38, ayrmad said:

I'll correct myself a bit, I'm not saying the current squad would but Talbot would strengthen to a level that would see them at the top of that tier, in the short term their crowds would be larger than the rest as well.

Add on the expense of conforming to the club licencing .  Floodlights , chartered physio , club doctor , safety officers , ground improvements  etc  ..........all add up . Maybe not as simple as just entering the league and trying to buy success.    Perhaps that is why most junior clubs don't fancy it . 

Just now, Talbot supporter said:
8 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Take the cup money out of it as that's a bonus, 43k a season to compete in league 2? If that's right then it is good but still a big gamble imo

None of that cup money is a bonus though - it's the minimum all League Two clubs get for just entering each competition.

Your cup run this season will net you at least £52,000 in prize money according to last year's figures posted here:

Add on the expense of conforming to the club licencing .  Floodlights , chartered physio , club doctor , safety officers , ground improvements  etc  ..........all add up . Maybe not as simple as just entering the league and trying to buy success.    Perhaps that is why most junior clubs don't fancy it . 
Yes I agree

Archived