(Another) Ayrshire Derby - Auchinleck vs Ayr

D'Jaffo

12 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's hard to translate success - or failure - in individual cup-ties into assumptions about league performance.

Talbot did not qualify to play in the cup last season. In 2016-17 they drew at Beith then lost at home in the replay. In 2015-16 they drew at BSCG, won the replay then lost at Cumbernauld. In 2014-15 they thumped Buckie then lost at Edinburgh City (who were still LL). In 2013-14 they hashed a couple of minor teams, drew at Stranraer then lost at home in the replay. They did not qualify in 2012-13. So you could analyse those 6yrs and say it was largely uninspiring - yet it's bookended by the run to a narrow loss at Hearts and this season's run to a win over Ayr. Probably the likelihood lies between the peaks and the troughs.

Fair enough :lol:! Tbf, you'd had to have been going a few years longer than that to have witnessed any of the examples I cited, except the Hampden rout.

Probably the best way of evaluating the true level of Talbot would be to look at their playing squad, the fact that the majority of their team are either former league 1 or Championship standard together with a sprinkling of young players who've maybe lost their way a bit, is again similar to what's in League 2 and many League 1 sides, so realistically I see no obvious reason why they wouldn't at the very least be competitive in League 2 with their current squad.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's hard to translate success - or failure - in individual cup-ties into assumptions about league performance.

Talbot did not qualify to play in the cup last season. In 2016-17 they drew at Beith then lost at home in the replay. In 2015-16 they drew at BSCG, won the replay then lost at Cumbernauld. In 2014-15 they thumped Buckie then lost at Edinburgh City (who were still LL). In 2013-14 they hashed a couple of minor teams, drew at Stranraer then lost at home in the replay. They did not qualify in 2012-13. So you could analyse those 6yrs and say it was largely uninspiring - yet it's bookended by the run to a narrow loss at Hearts and this season's run to a win over Ayr. Probably the likelihood lies between the peaks and the troughs.

Fair enough :lol:! Tbf, you'd had to have been going a few years longer than that to have witnessed any of the examples I cited, except the Hampden rout.

Bit of a potted history there. While what you say is accurate you have failed to mention a lot of wins. We have actually won 18 games in our 7 seasons in the cup

21 hours ago, Jeff Venom said:

Is there much buzz about the lad Glasgow? He had us on toast and looked a good footballer.

Totally agree with this, he looked the most dangerous player on the pitch and ripped us to shreds at times, especially in the 2nd half.

As has been argued ad nauseam already, Ayr have been like that for about 5 weeks now. Turgid to say the least, even with Shankland. We played a decent first half against Ross County on Dec 15 and since then have played one semi-decent half against Queens away. Happens to all teams. For Talbot fans to assume Ayr are a crap team, or the likes of Harvey is a crap fullback on the basis of one game is simply ludicrous. Quite how a team goes from averaging 2.5 goals a game to averaging 0.2 over the last 5 games is hard to fathom. We have good players, better than Talbot’s obviously, and they don’t become bad overnight. Presumably we will emerge from this trough eventually.

Stats aren’t everything, but normally with 21 attempts, 7 on target, you might expect at least a goal. We had several shots which went very close, but by and large our shooting was crap. Talbot keeper only had to make one save that was other than routine (from McDaid). Talbot had 4 attempts on goal, one on target.  How this translates into Talbot outplaying Ayr, which some on both sides have claimed, escapes me. I don’t know if that was a good Talbot performance by their own standards as I’ve never seen them before. But I was impressed with their defence, restricted Ayr to long range shots by and large. Moore’s sitter was about our only clear cut chance. They also looked dangerous going forward, specially down the left. 

Ayr should never have lost that, bad as we played. We were denied a stonewall penalty, for example, which Talbot fans can hardly deny, having seen the highlights (lowlights ?) However, congratulations to Talbot. They at least scored with the one sitter they were granted by Mr. Higgins. Hope they get a decent draw in the next round, one they have a chance in or a money spinner.  Wouldn’t mind seeing Kilmarnock getting humped at Beechwood. Might shut them up or we’re gong to be reminded of this result for decades to come. 

2 hours ago, pogo1910 said:

So do Talbot fans not fancy the step up to the senior leagues then? I know your committee dont but would you not rather games like that every week rather than Irvine Meadow and  Kilburnie?

I fail to see your point there. Can’t speak for Kilbirnie but our games have always been close affairs (apart from a couple of lessons in the Scottish cup)

2 hours ago, happy said:

And so has Itzdrk.Away and crawled back under his stone with embarrassment.His team were not up for it yesterday and he isn't today.:)

I was on last night and this morning :lol:.  

You have just answered your own question there. One player team is your answer. We will see where yous finish at the end of the season and for Ayr fans to presume Pope and Lyle are shite without watching them pot kettle . And the biggest stat which didn't lie 1 nil

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Enjoy being the big fish in the small pond too much. Think getting pumped every week by the likes of Elgin doesn’t appeal too much.

We are supposedly joining the Pyramid next season and from then on we hope to progress. After yesterdays performance I think the SPL in the next few years would be a reasonable target.

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I thought both clubs sold out their tickets? It wasn't as packed as I expected.

3 hours ago, ayrmad said:

That's what happens if a ground takes 4000 and only has 3100 in it.

3 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I thought that was because of the space taken up by the BBC cameras and the studio? 

There were spaces in the stand but I just assumed some with stand tickets opted to stand.

Aye pretty much what Trog said. BBC took up a massive chunk of the covered terrace that had the cameras on top, with the commentators etc undercover.

You're probably right about some of the stand too, but some of the empty seats were also because a number of media folk chose to stand at the back rather than take their seats.

Enjoyed being there. Ayr seemed like they thought they would break through eventually, or Talbot would tire, but particularly in the 2nd half Talbot wanted it more. As has been said Ayr had plenty of possession and a number of shots, but not much of a threat. Well done Talbot, hope it's Killie at Beechwood next!

5 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I was on last night and this morning :lol:.  

I wasn't on last night as I was giving it laldy celebrating being in the 5th. round.And this morning nursing the hangover that you thought you would have.:) # lovingthehangover 

I'd like to think that some of the Ayr officials were frantically researching every Talbot player last night for potential ineligible player status, only to find nothing. That's probably standard practice these days after a few cases in recent years.

Just seen the highlights there. Talbot definitely deserved the win Ayr could’ve had 2 pens? Thought McCall came across really well and very complimentary about talbot. All the best in the next round. Who would you like in next round??

Just seen the highlights there. Talbot definitely deserved the win Ayr could’ve had 2 pens? Thought McCall came across really well and very complimentary about talbot. All the best in the next round. Who would you like in next round??
East Fife.

9 minutes ago, Ylf said:

Agree he was OK considering it was hot on the heels of the worst results of his managerial career. 

Would still like to see Ayr get themselves promoted and have 4 shots at winning an Ayrshire derby next season. 

1 hour ago, happy said:

I wasn't on last night as I was giving it laldy celebrating being in the 5th. round.And this morning nursing the hangover that you thought you would have.:) # lovingthehangover 

I definitely still have one.  

1 hour ago, Blackie Gold said:

We are supposedly joining the Pyramid next season and from then on we hope to progress. After yesterdays performance I think the SPL in the next few years would be a reasonable target.

If it happens then Talbot will finally earn some respect from senior teams.

51 minutes ago, Ylf said:

@callum-ayr

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Are people suggesting Talbot would win League Two and are therefore better than Peterhead? 

My Mrs’ brother in law (a current bun btw) who went in the Talbot end yesterday is claiming they’d be a top end Championship side :shutup

Archived