(Another) Ayrshire Derby - Auchinleck vs Ayr

D'Jaffo

6 minutes ago, pogo1910 said:

So do Talbot fans not fancy the step up to the senior leagues then? I know your committee dont but would you not rather games like that every week rather than Irvine Meadow and  Kilburnie?

Games v Meadow and Kilbirnie are fantastic. You should try it. 

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Bella La ghostie said:

Auchinleck Talbot are a cup tie animal, this has been coming as each time they have played top level teams they have been unlucky. Got the breaks yesterday for a deserved win. Ayr are a great club, but the fact that they stormed off without coming in to the club for customary refreshments does not look good. Cove did the same, would never happen at Junior level. Ayr fans I spoke to after game were fantastic.  Their club should learn from them. 

Maybe fed up with all the humble pie Izdick and his friends had to swallow.

Rewatching, I'm going to have to say that Ayr played pretty well in the first 20-25.

Couple of set pieces, Crawford with a big chance (back post header blocked), Moore layoff for Murdoch (weak shot), moff with some nice skill and shot wide, Crawford again in at the back post but crowded out.

As a Talbot fan who has followed our club for 50+ years yesterday was something special. I would like to thank the Ayr fans for turning up and making the game a spectacle and creating a magnificent atmosphere. I have no qualms with Ayr and as a member of our building committee a lot of folk forget that Ayr came down to Beechwood to open our stand which was a superb gesture. I would just like to say best of luck in your promotion push.  As a football fan I can guage your hurt as every football fan has been subjected to a dissapointment at one stage of their life, you just have to dust yourself down and get on with it, thats why we subject ourselves to following a football club.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Rewatching, I'm going to have to say that Ayr played pretty well in the first 20-25.

Couple of set pieces, Crawford with a big chance (back post header blocked), Moore layoff for Murdoch (weak shot), moff with some nice skill and shot wide, Crawford again in at the back post but crowded out.

Just keep rewinding, that way you'll not waste another day.

41 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

That would be fun, unless I'm mistaken both sides would have received the same number in the draw, I'm hearing Jim Bowen already.

Yep, either team would have been second in alphabetical order for the draw, so whoever Talbot get would have been who we would have gotten had we went through.

In saying that I hope Talbot get a good draw, would be nice to see them progress even further. Good luck to them.

39 minutes ago, pogo1910 said:

So do Talbot fans not fancy the step up to the senior leagues then? I know your committee dont but would you not rather games like that every week rather than Irvine Meadow and  Kilburnie?

Enjoy being the big fish in the small pond too much. Think getting pumped every week by the likes of Elgin doesn’t appeal too much.

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Yep, either team would have been second in alphabetical order for the draw, so whoever Talbot get would have been who we would have gotten had we went through.

In saying that I hope Talbot get a good draw, would be nice to see them progress even further. Good luck to them.

I would love to see them reaching the quarters or semis, I'll certainly be supporting them against anyone, not sure such a cash windfall would be good for junior football.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Enjoy being the big fish in the small pond too much. Think getting pumped every week by the likes of Elgin doesn’t appeal too much.

In all honesty, it would ruin Talbot but I think they'd cruise through our bottom tier.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
7 minutes ago, ayrmad said:
In all honesty, it would ruin Talbot but I think they'd cruise through our bottom tier.

No they wouldn't.

I'm quite sure they would, there are many senior clubs that could learn lessons from how they operate, they already attract/keep players from senior clubs, that would only increase if they went for it.

8 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Read the "Junior football,what is future"thread.625 pages.Thats the place for this topic.

And stop deflecting the fact your team were pumped out the Scottish by a junior outfit.:)

8 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I'm quite sure they would, there are many senior clubs that could learn lessons from how they operate, they already attract/keep players from senior clubs, that would only increase if they went for it.
I'm not saying they wouldn't compete but there's absolutely no way they are head and shoulders above the current top 4 in the bottom tier so to say they would "cruise" through that division is doing those sides a disservice and isn't accurate. Talbot played a good game yesterday but in 90 minutes anything can happen. Very different over the course of a season.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
6 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I'm not saying they wouldn't compete but there's absolutely no way they are head and shoulders above the current top 4 in the bottom tier so to say they would "cruise" through that division is doing those sides a disservice and isn't accurate. Talbot played a good game yesterday but in 90 minutes anything can happen. Very different over the course of a season.

I'll correct myself a bit, I'm not saying the current squad would but Talbot would strengthen to a level that would see them at the top of that tier, in the short term their crowds would be larger than the rest as well.

11 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Oaft steady on @HibeeJibee...... their arse is hurting enough tonight without you slipping them a dry length via the history books :lol:

5 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Nothing like kicking them when they’re down eh Hibee!! But funny as hell though.

It was an Ayr fan who asked!

Tbf it's a natural reaction to feel the worst result in years - or in your own lifetime in the case of younger fans - must be the worst ever, but in time that may fade.

Just now, HibeeJibee said:

It was an Ayr fan who asked!

Tbf it's a natural reaction to feel the worst result in years - or in your own lifetime in the case of younger fans - must be the worst ever, but in time that may fade.

I've been going for 50 years, I'm of an age where I can't afford for memories to fade.

35 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
39 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

It's hard to translate success - or failure - in individual cup-ties into assumptions about league performance.

Talbot did not qualify to play in the cup last season. In 2016-17 they drew at Beith then lost at home in the replay. In 2015-16 they drew at BSCG, won the replay then lost at Cumbernauld. In 2014-15 they thumped Buckie then lost at Edinburgh City (who were still LL). In 2013-14 they hashed a couple of minor teams, drew at Stranraer then lost at home in the replay. They did not qualify in 2012-13. So you could analyse those 6yrs and say it was largely uninspiring - yet it's bookended by the run to a narrow loss at Hearts and this season's run to a win over Ayr. Probably the likelihood lies between the peaks and the troughs.

14 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I've been going for 50 years, I'm of an age where I can't afford for memories to fade.

Fair enough :lol:! Tbf, you'd had to have been going a few years longer than that to have witnessed any of the examples I cited, except the Hampden rout.

Archived