January Transfer Window

What does everyone's teams need/want in January? And who should be shipped out...?

Livi need a striker or at least one of ours back from injury! Wouldn't let anyone go. Maybe Saunders if he's expensive (comparably) but doubt he's that much of a drain on funds.

Best we can hope for is to get through the window with players in tacked and none having signed pre-contracts elsewhere. Couple key players signing extensions be nice.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scott Alan and we've been linked with Gillingham striker Tom Eaves who is top scorer in league one in England. If MacLaren doesn't manage to find his form i'd send him back to Germany and take Eaves and Shankland. Also I'd take Halkett and Byrne from you lot :P  I could see one of Hyndman or Slivka leaving us too as they haven't been showing much in games. 

LULZ! Where to start with us? Our squad's an absolute shitshow at the moment. There are a ton of players around our squad who haven't really done themselves any favours so far this season.

You could easily make a case for getting shot of any of the following (at least):

• Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - played 159 mins (league). Contract expires summer 2019.
  • Alex Rodriguez-Gorrin - 13 mins (league). Contract expires summer 2019.
  • Elliot Frear - 270 mins (league). Contract expires summer 2019
  • George Newell - 0 mins (league). Contract expires summer 2019
  • Conor Sammon -  262 mins (league). Contract expires summer 2019

Other first team players out of contract summer 2019:
Gael Bigirimana, Liam Grimshaw, Andy Rose, Carl McHugh, Chris Cadden, Ryan Bowman and Curtis Main.

Craig Tanner's also out of contract but he's a long term injury and hasn't kicked a ball since February so it's doubtful he's going anywhere in January.

With Cadden likely to miss most of December through injury it'll probably be quite telling who replaces Tait at left back (assuming we move him back to RB to replace Cadden). If Robinson promotes Adam Livingstone (as he should) then it surely means ATS's tea's oot.

Frear's another one who really doesn't seem to have much of a future at the club, not even because he's been relatively ineffective but simply because we don't play with wingers and it's clear he's a winger. If we could find a taker for him then there's a really obvious replacement in Jake Hastie whose loan at Alloa finishes in January.

Getting shot of Conor Sammon should be an absolute priority though. Whether Hearts are willing to take him back (or another team is willing to take him on) is a different question. Either way, having a player on loan who's simply sat there as 4th choice striker is a monumental waste of time for everyone concerned. If a single transfer could illustrate the extent to which we fucked the summer window then Conor Sammon is it.

There was chat during the summer that a few lower league sides in England were interested in Bowman (Grimsby I think it was) but we kb'd the offer. I'd imagine if there was any sort of interest now we'd be open to letting him go. Main's probably in the same boat, it seems telling that after a relatively successful season his contract wasn't extended in the summer when we were handing out new deals like sweeties and his form has dipped massively this year (though he's still our top scorer at the minute).

The squad needs an enema. It's bloated and heavy with too many similar players and next to no spark. It feels like we need to do in January what we should have done in the Summer coming off the back of the Cup finals and a creditable league placing. 

Who knows, maybe we tried and players just weren't that up for signing up IDK.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We could use a decent striker (or two) with a bit of pace and a creative midfielder so we're not lumping all the responsibility for winning games on David Turnbull. Ship out some of the dross and reinvest in one or two players with a bit of quality and pace and it'd hopefully straighten us out a bit.

Who those players are? f**k knows, Scougall seems to be miles out the picture at St Johnstone. We were in for him before he ended up in Perth and we signed Craig Tanner (whose knee is still held together with sellotape at the moment).

Strikers are anyone's guess though. Last January no one really saw Main coming in and making the impact he did while Ciftci was a really obvious one given Plymouth were desperate to get shot of him and we'd been in for him in the two transfer windows prior (and he had apparently been keen to sign).

I'm not sure there are the same sort of 'obvious' options kicking around at the moment and it's debatable that we could even go to the 'former player willing to do us a turn' well.

@capt_oats pretty much covers it for us but I would also add a centre half with a bit of pace to that list. Charles Dunne hasn't had a decent run due to injuries and the lack of pace in defence really shows up Aldred and Hartley's weaknesses.

Not sure we'll sign anyone tbh, without any serious outgoing.

Obvious ones would be a left back, depending on how Easton is, think that's now approaching 12 months since he played, to compete with Tanser. Central midfield is another one, Davidson is class but injury prone, you've then got Craig, who uses his experience well but lacks some real quality on the ball. Beyond that is Callachan, who's still raw and a bit "dog chasing a ball"-y and Nydam, who hasn't featured much at all apart from a start at left mid and a couple of late sub appearances. A sort of cheap version of Ryan Jack, who'll sit in front of the defence, breaking up opposition attacks while starting our own, is the dream. Outside shout is a right back to play second fiddle to Foster, Comrie is beyond the youngster stage and has still not stepped up.

Then you're looking at Clark/Kerr/Watt as players who'll maybe be taken, Wright aswell.

Scougall will likely be off, one way or another. Nydams loan expires and we've a couple of youngsters who'll be offered out on loan. Aforementioned Comrie might be loaned out or released.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not sure we'll sign anyone tbh, without any serious outgoing.

Obvious ones would be a left back, depending on how Easton is, think that's now approaching 12 months since he played, to compete with Tanser. Central midfield is another one, Davidson is class but injury prone, you've then got Craig, who uses his experience well but lacks some real quality on the ball. Beyond that is Callachan, who's still raw and a bit "dog chasing a ball"-y and Nydam, who hasn't featured much at all apart from a start at left mid and a couple of late sub appearances. A sort of cheap version of Ryan Jack, who'll sit in front of the defence, breaking up opposition attacks while starting our own, is the dream. Outside shout is a right back to play second fiddle to Foster, Comrie is beyond the youngster stage and has still not stepped up.

Then you're looking at Clark/Kerr/Watt as players who'll maybe be taken, Wright aswell.

Scougall will likely be off, one way or another. Nydams loan expires and we've a couple of youngsters who'll be offered out on loan. Aforementioned Comrie might be loaned out or released.

5950e1a090503_i3tSE8(1).gif.5a334e3fb0ef8eecc4cea52752a41284.gif.1dba46fdef9057b4b92194f0162c5830.gif.1000332c7ae14f537c9c7eeddbf7728f.gif

11 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Nothing apart from express your views. I just imagined the reaction if Sir Tommy had read it, thats all.

I'd be surprised if he read beyond my username, tbh.

1 hour ago, ShrooTheLookingGlass said:

Scott Alan and we've been linked with Gillingham striker Tom Eaves who is top scorer in league one in England. If MacLaren doesn't manage to find his form i'd send him back to Germany and take Eaves and Shankland. Also I'd take Halkett and Byrne from you lot :P  I could see one of Hyndman or Slivka leaving us too as they haven't been showing much in games. 

Two year deal for Byrne in the summer so it'd be quids in for us :D 

Halkett has 32 clubs that have enquired about him so he'll probably be off. We've signed big Henk van Scheik anyway so we should be fine

38 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Halkett has 32 clubs that have enquired about him so he'll probably be off. We've signed big Henk van Scheik anyway so we should be fine

Be nice to get some money for Halkett. Years extension now with promise to sell him in summer be best option...

Anton to bring his brother out of retirement and invite the Neville’s, Wazza, Giggs and anybody else he can convince to join the Miracle on Greenhill Road...........failing that a bunch of nomarks who leave when we go down. :unsure2:

We are pretty set. All we need is a decent goalie, cover for both full backs, creative midfielder, wingers who can cross a ball and someone to score regularly. Another central defender who isn't a bomb scare would be good too. Easy peasy...

14 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

@capt_oats pretty much covers it for us but I would also add a centre half with a bit of pace to that list. Charles Dunne hasn't had a decent run due to injuries and the lack of pace in defence really shows up Aldred and Hartley's weaknesses.

Aye, I thought about that.

Charlie Taxi's been featuring quite heavily in the training #content the media team's been putting out. So indications are that he's on the road back. I suppose we'll find out if Robinson has any trust in Maguire and Mbulu. 

With those three on the fringes of the side I'd be quite surprised if we added another centre half. Though at the same time this season has really shown up the limitations of Tommy Aldred and especially Hartley.

14 hours ago, ATLIS said:

How much do you reckon you'd get for Byrne? Aye Halkett looks like he'll end up in the English Championship or back at sevco considering the competition.

Lithgow and Pittman might be attracting attention too from what I've seen from them.

Where to begin?

McIntyre seems to have chosen Hamilton as his first choice keeper. Neither he nor Parish are anything better than decent back ups at this level (With Parish being cheaper and indeed better than Hamilton). As it stands though, I can't see McIntyre tinkering here as there are bigger priorities.

LB - Ralph is our only legitimate option here and he's played 1 good game. Desperately need cover or a replacement in January to prevent us from looking so lopsided.

Defence - We still look pretty good at CH so unless McIntyre brings in Paul Quinn (which I doubt) then I can't see any movement here.

Rb - can't imagine McIntyre will replace Kerr.

CM - he's already brought in Martin Woods. Can only see him trying to offload Ngwatala or Madianga (Whom i rate as one of our better players). Kamara might be sold as well.

Calvin Miller and Curran/Deacon on each wing seems promising.

Up front - Haber will be back. Hopefully we can punt Mendy and Moussa and bring in another option. Possibly confirm Kallman permanently as well.

Archived