January Transfer Window

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty clear we need a massive overhaul. It's easier to list the first team players that are definitely good enough:

Lewis, Devlin, McKenna, Ferguson, Shinnie, GMS

Pretty shameful it's been allowed to happen given where the squad was 2 seasons ago.

We need a midfielder with a bit of energy to play beside Milligan and let Mallan play further forward. I wouldn’t keep Hyndman and Horgan needs to stop getting shoved into our side out of position. 

That aside a big striker that scores goals. Should be easy enough to find...

Lennon improved us massively last January but he’s got a tough job to do it this time round.

On 25/11/2018 at 21:05, ATLIS said:

Byrne apparently, just going from what I've saw commented. 

Halkett will probably go for 400k + 20% sell on in January

Word for word what Nadroj says I'm afraid.

Really like him too, but you'd be lucky to get £600k for him going by the recent market for players at Scottish clubs outwith Celtic.

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

We have a squad of 27, Oran Kearney has gone on record as saying that's far too large and wants to go with somewhere between 20-22 plus youths like Erhahon and MacPherson.

He's also made no secret of saying he wants around 5 or 6 new faces in.

By my reckoning...

Almost definitely out the door:

Kpekawa, King, Kirkpatrick, Lyness, Cooke

Likely to leave:

Heaton, Willock

Perm any 1 or 2 from the below:

Flynn, Eckersley, McShane, Edwards, Mullen or Smith

I actually think all of those top seven will go, plus Edwards, Flynn and Cammy Smith. There's 10, to take squad to 17, and then we need five more back in.

I just don't think Smith fits in any more. It's heartbreaking as he was my PotY last season but, simply put, a fit Hammill is an upgrade.

The rest I don't think anyone would notice if they left. I always manage to forget that Flynn is at the club. Sometimes even when he's playing.

Mullen is an option from the bench, and can rattle defences... he doesn't score enough but he's always an option and I think he'll be retained. I also think there's room for McShane as an experienced backup for any of our midfielders.

Kellerman is an odd one. I liked his interview about wanting to prove himself, but I bet they'd all say that. He might well be the 11th on the 'gone' list.

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:50, ShrooTheLookingGlass said:

How much do you reckon you'd get for Byrne? Aye Halkett looks like he'll end up in the English Championship or back at sevco considering the competition.

Lithgow and Pittman might be attracting attention too from what I've seen from them.

Lithgow is contracted to 2020 as far as I remember...can't see us letting him go if Halkett gets a move. Unless it's for a hefty wedge but given his age I can't see too many people forking out the money for him. Pittman on the other hand is one I worry about losing

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Lithgow is contracted to 2020 as far as I remember...can't see us letting him go if Halkett gets a move. Unless it's for a hefty wedge but given his age I can't see too many people forking out the money for him. Pittman on the other hand is one I worry about losing

Which other club would want Lithgow at their club anyway, given his off field antics and subsequent conviction ? 

Which other club would want Lithgow at their club anyway, given his off field antics and subsequent conviction ? 
Any club looking for a solid defender with an eye for goal. His offence was over 12 years ago...which is older than a few posters on here...give it a rest

Sketchy past aside, I would’ve said age would’ve been the main barrier to Lithgow getting a move. He’ll be 31 by the end of the season, not exactly old but I doubt clubs would view him as an investment in the same way they would view Halkett or Byrne, for example.

By all means, he may get the opportunity for a year or two but he’s been solid enough here that I’d happily keep him for a good while yet.

16 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Likely to leave:

Willock

Would that be the club punting him or Matty deciding to leave? He doesn't seem to be a definite starter so I take it he's not been that great.

32 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Would that be the club punting him or Matty deciding to leave? He doesn't seem to be a definite starter so I take it he's not been that great.

How did he do at St Johnstone overall? I always thought he looked quite good.

He’s a good athlete and technically pretty good. Lacks tactical awareness at times and can look a little lost. He got better the longer he played with us, but probably not who you’d want in a scrap and battle. So understandable he’s not had much game time at St Mirren.

6 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Pittman signed a two year deal two months ago did he not?

36 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Average. Not bad but certainly not a stand out as you would maybe hope for from a player on Man Utd's books.

Not much difference between him and a lot of journeymen midfielders playing at this level.

I think Willock is ok, but I think merely the fact he is a loan player and therefore will be fairly easy to punt means he will go.

We currently have far too many players, and not enough good ones. I don't think we'd be hard to deal with if any player wanted to go to be honest, and I also think we'd happily sign any player of decent quality in any position. We don't need guys for the future, and we don't have the option to keep guys hanging around to see if they come good, we need players for right now, just as we did in Jan 2017 when ditching Shankland and Hardie, and replacing them with Rory Loy went a long way to saving our season. That looks mental now, but it was vital at the time.

On 11/27/2018 at 06:00, Coventry Saint said:

I actually think all of those top seven will go, plus Edwards, Flynn and Cammy Smith. There's 10, to take squad to 17, and then we need five more back in.

I just don't think Smith fits in any more. It's heartbreaking as he was my PotY last season but, simply put, a fit Hammill is an upgrade.

The rest I don't think anyone would notice if they left. I always manage to forget that Flynn is at the club. Sometimes even when he's playing.

Mullen is an option from the bench, and can rattle defences... he doesn't score enough but he's always an option and I think he'll be retained. I also think there's room for McShane as an experienced backup for any of our midfielders.

Kellerman is an odd one. I liked his interview about wanting to prove himself, but I bet they'd all say that. He might well be the 11th on the 'gone' list.

Isn't Simeon Jackson only contracted until January?  Or did I miss news about his deal being extended?

Archived