EOS so far

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

So how are all the teams that entered this years EOS enjoying or not enjoying the season so far ????

Been like a reboot for camelon and enjoyed it so far. Think it was right time for change and I think over time it will hopefully get better. We've done well in cupsome.  We are on our way to top 5 finish. Got east south shield to look forward to and hopefully a win to get us to scottish. As a one time pyramidsceptic I'm glad we made the change 

4 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Been like a reboot for camelon and enjoyed it so far. Think it was right time for change and I think over time it will hopefully get better. We've done well in cupsome.  We are on our way to top 5 finish. Got east south shield to look forward to and hopefully a win to get us to scottish. As a one time pyramidsceptic I'm glad we made the change 

Very similar feelings myself.  From what I can gather from our committee the EoS have been fantastic to deal with, we've had the freshness of going to new places and I think that bringing the best of both codes together administratively and on the park can improve things further.  Was very sceptical myself and I liked the Junior game but I'm also glad we made the change.  Only thing I'd like to add is a Scotland wide cup tournament, miss the Scottish.

I can't talk for the club but I'm enjoying the fresh experience.

Our crowds have held up, New sponsors on board and season long fixture lists.

It would be nice if we won a few more games. And a couple of the grounds have been a bit soulless(plastic pitches in cages with no crowds). But I'm looking forward to my first trip to Ormiston today.

11 hours ago, RobM said:

Very similar feelings myself.  From what I can gather from our committee the EoS have been fantastic to deal with, we've had the freshness of going to new places and I think that bringing the best of both codes together administratively and on the park can improve things further.  Was very sceptical myself and I liked the Junior game but I'm also glad we made the change.  Only thing I'd like to add is a Scotland wide cup tournament, miss the Scottish.

Out of curiosity would becoming an SFA member and having access to the SFA Scottish Cup replace that feeling of being part of a Scottish wide tournament? Or does there have to be a feeling in the back of your mind you've got a chance to win it one day.

23 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Out of curiosity would becoming an SFA member and having access to the SFA Scottish Cup replace that feeling of being part of a Scottish wide tournament? Or does there have to be a feeling in the back of your mind you've got a chance to win it one day.

It's something I don't really understand as north teams didn't ever get far in it. South challenge cup effectively is the same thing. If west come over and are part of it. It's the same

Really enjoying it, it seems a much more professional environment to operate in and much more supportive.  A few teething issues as you would expect, and I miss the local rivalries but in time everyone will be in the same league system and I'm glad we were among the first to start the much needed path towards integration.

Absolutely no regrets here and fingers crossed, Scottish Cup participation next season along with an U20 side.

10 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

It's something I don't really understand as north teams didn't ever get far in it. South challenge cup effectively is the same thing. If west come over and are part of it. It's the same

I can kind of see that but it's not quite got the same atmosphere about it if that makes any sense.

I can kind of see that but it's not quite got the same atmosphere about it if that makes any sense.
I guess its partially the history of the cups. Junior Cup goes back to 1886 whilst the South Chalenge Cup to 2007 (although its basically a sucessor to the Scottish Qualifying Cup that goes back to 1895).

21 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

11 hours ago, RobM said:

If you talk to friends, folk in the High Street who never go to games or have only been to Junior Cup finals and say "hey, we're in the final of the South Challenge Cup" they'll shrug. If you say "hey, we're in the final of the Junior Cup" they'll ask for details of the buses and they'll decorate the shop windows. The three times I've seen Rose win the Junior Cup have been brilliant days in the town, with an open top bus ride along a closed-off High Street and thousands celebrating, packing out the pubs. There's no chance any of that would happen for the South Challenge Cup, and no amount of explaining that it's basically the same, but with even more good teams in it, would make any difference.

Football, especially at non-league level, is all about community and history, and you dick about with it at your peril.

I was strongly in favour of Rose making the jump and the Junior Cup was never going to make much difference in deciding what would be best for the club. But huge efforts should be made by non-league football's officialdom to get the Junior Cup opened up to all non-league senior and juniors, even if the HL and the NCL decline the invite, because it's a very special competition. It is, because people have it in their minds that it is.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

If you talk to friends, folk in the High Street who never go to games or have only been to Junior Cup finals and say "hey, we're in the final of the South Challenge Cup" they'll shrug. If you say "hey, we're in the final of the Junior Cup" they'll ask for details of the buses and they'll decorate the shop windows. The three times I've seen Rose win the Junior Cup have been brilliant days in the town, with an open top bus ride along a closed-off High Street and thousands celebrating, packing out the pubs. There's no chance any of that would happen for the South Challenge Cup, and no amount of explaining that it's basically the same, but with even more good teams in it, would make any difference.

Football, especially at non-league level, is all about community and history, and you dick about with it at your peril.

I was strongly in favour of Rose making the jump and the Junior Cup was never going to make much difference in deciding what would be best for the club. But huge efforts should be made by non-league football's officialdom to get the Junior Cup opened up to all non-league senior and juniors, even if the HL and the NCL decline the invite, because it's a very special competition. It is, because people have it in their minds that it is.

Exactly what I said tradition. But if we had a non league trophy and it wasn't called the junior cup howon't is it any different from the south challenge cup. 

I think though the junior cup was more like the champions league more coverage and monly than winning your league 

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I was strongly in favour of Rose making the jump 

No you weren't - you spent weeks moaning about the mythical Tuesday trip to Elgin and how it was suddenly going to cost £18 for you and your daughter. If anything you were one of the most negative people on here regarding the Wee Rose moving.

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

...But huge efforts should be made by non-league football's officialdom to get the Junior Cup opened up to all non-league senior and juniors, even if the HL and the NCL decline the invite, because it's a very special competition. It is, because people have it in their minds that it is.

Basically agree but at the same time I think we also have to acknowledge that the Junior Cup isn't what it used to be. Thirty to forty years ago you could still get 10,000+ at a senior ground for the semis and there was a lot of variety in who was making it to the last 8. Now you are lucky if it's half that for the final and far fewer clubs enter the competition with a realistic hope of going all the way to the final in an Ormiston Primrose, Darvel or Stonehouse Violet sort of way.

Archived