2020 Group Draw

kenny131

21 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Scotland attendances at Hampden Park from 2016 to 2018:
18,385     Scotland v Denmark (friendly)
35,996     Scotland v Lithuania (Euro Q)
20,435     Scotland v Slovenia (Euro Q)
48,520     Scotland v England (Euro Q)
26,371     Scotland v Malta (Euro Q)
46,733     Scotland v Slovakia (Euro Q)
20,488     Scotland v Costa Rica (friendly)
20,196     Scotland v Belgium (friendly)
17,455     Scotland v Albania (Nations League)
19,684     Scotland v Portugal (friendly)
21,281     Scotland v Israel (Nations League)

Surely they were World Cup qualifiers, rather than Euro ones?

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Any ideas when the location for the Belgium game is going to be announced? They’ve announced all their other home games are in Brussels but haven’t announced our game yet? 

They're supposed to announce it at least 120 days before and it's now 126 days until the game so should hear in the next week.

17 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Thanks! Belgium isn’t a big country so shouldn’t be an issue, but don’t really fancy a couple hours of hungover travelling to Brussels for my flight home the day after the game, so fingers crossed for Brussels. 

None of the likely other options will be more than hour away...Liege(1hr)/Charleroi(50mins)/Ghent (45mins)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:39, ali_91 said:

Any ideas when the location for the Belgium game is going to be announced? They’ve announced all their other home games are in Brussels but haven’t announced our game yet? 

Assume you've seen this has now been confirmed for Brussels?

• 1 month later...

As some of us were saying...

Well at least our recent practice of dropping fatal points in the opening double-header assists clarity.

We will now beat San Marino: retaining McLeish his job. Hope will gradually rekindle: "anything is possible" and "we cannot drop points from here". We'll get something off Belgium or Russia but entering the autumn still in with a chance: "bad luck" will mean "glorious failure".

About right?

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Well at least our recent practice of dropping fatal points in the opening double-header assists clarity.

We will now beat San Marino: retaining McLeish his job. Hope will gradually rekindle: "anything is possible" and "we cannot drop points from here". We'll get something off Belgium or Russia but entering the autumn still in with a chance: "bad luck" will mean "glorious failure".

About right?

This would be the worst possible outcome, as it means that nothing will change ahead of the playoffs.

According to Vogts's Fifth Law of Probability this is, therefore, *exactly* what will happen

17 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

About right?

Probably.  If I were a betting man and such a bet were possible, I'd say we'll be in with a shout going into the final round of games, but ultimately finish 3rd.  Looking at the way the fixtures fall, I expect we'll get something in Russia in match 7, then pump San Marino to give us hope.  Just Cyprus and Kazahkstan to go, and we'll either drop points in one of those, or have it out of our hands and Russia nick it.

Basically, if all other results go to plan - and that's a huge stretch admittedly - we now go from needing to just get the best aggregate score between us and Russia, to needing to win both.  I just can't see that, and that's before taking any other matches into account.

So aye, 3rd.

17 hours ago, Meadow_Jock said:

This would be the worst possible outcome, as it means that nothing will change ahead of the playoffs.

According to Vogts's Fifth Law of Probability this is, therefore, *exactly* what will happen

The playoffs are a great backup to have, but from the McLeish out brigade, they'll almost be a curse.  I think it would take something truly apocalyptic for them to sack him before those matches.  We'd need to lose to both San Marino and Cyprus, and then he'd presumably be punted once we inevitably lose to Belgium too.

But even then you could argue that he's earned (lol) a shot at the playoffs he got us to.  It's the SFA we're talking about, guys.  They had so many chances to drop Strachan, then arguably did so at one of the worst opportunities.  Now we're here.  

McLeish will be here until the final ball is kicked in the playoffs if we fail to qualify.  I'd stand by that as a near certainty.

Archived