2020 Group Draw

kenny131

27 minutes ago, sjc said:

I'd say channel your anger towards those in charge of our game that steadfast refuse to evolve their thinking towards the development of the game from grassroots upwards.

That'll be were the defeatist attitude stems from I'd guess.

We can't just point the finger at the SFA for everything.  The SFA don't have a hold over an individuals thoughts. Individuals are free to be positive about the National team but choose to be negative. Right now we're actually doing what most fans want, bleeding in younger players with potential whilst phasing out the old guard and we've had mainly positive results from it in competitive action. Yet, instead of being positive and suggesting that our up and coming team has every chance of finishing second in a group largely filled with cannon fodder, we're shitting ourselves over a visit to Kazakhstan. 

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

We can't just point the finger at the SFA for everything.  The SFA don't have a hold over an individuals thoughts. Individuals are free to be positive about the National team but choose to be negative. Right now we're actually doing what most fans want, bleeding in younger players with potential whilst phasing out the old guard and we've had mainly positive results from it in competitive action. Yet, instead of being positive and suggesting that our up and coming team has every chance of finishing second in a group largely filled with cannon fodder, we're shitting ourselves over a visit to Kazakhstan. 

More power to you but all that does is paper over the cracks of the fundimental deep rooted problems with Scottish football and let's those in charge away with their continued negligence.

Just now, sjc said:

More power to you but all that does is paper over the cracks of the fundimental deep rooted problems with Scottish football and let's those in charge away with their continued negligence.

No it doesn't. I can hold the SFA to account for their short comings and still think the team we have is capable of beating pot 4 and 5 teams. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

No it doesn't. I can hold the SFA to account for their short comings and still think the team we have is capable of beating pot 4 and 5 teams. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

As long as you buy tickets and merchandise nobody is going to be held to account for anything. Vested interests within the SFA will prevail.

8 minutes ago, sjc said:

How would you define these deep rooted problems?

1 minute ago, sjc said:

As long as you buy tickets and merchandise nobody is going to be held to account for anything. Vested interests within the SFA will prevail.

Just as well I haven't been to a game in about 3 years then. 

Fans are responsible for their attitudes, not the SFA. The SFA are responsible for pricing games, marketing matches, youth development and appointing managers. I can disagree with the way they do all (or some) of that and still say I'm confident of Scotland beating Kazakhstan.

Just now, Estragon said:

How would you define these deep rooted problems?

For starters - Within grass roots football: Insufficient number of coaches, out of date coaching courses, lack of focus on technical ability coaching. Kids playing the wrong time of year. Kids playing 11a-side far too early. Lack of regional centres of excellence. Lack of a uniform platform for assessing kids development in order for those of excellence to be spotted. Lack of affordable facilities.......I'm sure there's more but it's late and I'm tired!

Too many to mention within the professional game to mention!

Years of folk involved with the national team talking about a good point away from has definitely contributed to the negativity, as have managers setting their teams up in a shitebag way.

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Just as well I haven't been to a game in about 3 years then. 

Fans are responsible for their attitudes, not the SFA. The SFA are responsible for pricing games, marketing matches, youth development and appointing managers. I can disagree with the way they do all (or some) of that and still say I'm confident of Scotland beating Kazakhstan.

You said you could hold them to account in your previous post.....how?

The SFAs approach to our youth development is the exact reason we've seen a steady decrease in the ability and number of players we're now producing. Hence the National team is suffering.

FWIW, I'd expect Scotland to beat Kazakhstan and Cyprus also but would I f**k put any money on it! 

19 minutes ago, sjc said:

You said you could hold them to account in your previous post.....how?

The SFAs approach to our youth development is the exact reason we've seen a steady decrease in the ability and number of players we're now producing. Hence the National team is suffering.

FWIW, I'd expect Scotland to beat Kazakhstan and Cyprus also but would I f**k put any money on it! 

I've just explained that I don't attend Scotland games any more, hence hitting the SFA the only place it hurts. I can't really do much more than that, unless I want to start holding demonstrations at the gates of Hampden.

I agree that our development strategy has been poor for the last decade or so but we're getting away from the original point here.

I won't be putting money on it either, mainly because the odds will be extremely pish due to us rightly being huge favourites to win both games.

11 minutes ago, an86 said:

How easy are tickets in Brussels likely to be to get a hold of? 

The max allocation they give away fans seems to be 3-3.5k and it's fairly easy to get to so might be one that needs 5 or 6 points.

Don't think it went too low points wise last time.

Everyone is saying we should beat Cyprus and Kazakhstan home and away. When did we last take 12 points from the teams in the two pots below us?

WC18 - drew with Slovenia and Lithuania, 8 points. 

EU16 - we were in Pot 4, lost in Georgia, 9 points.

WC14 - we were in Pot 4, drew with Macedonia in Pot 5, lost home and away against Wales from Pot 6, 4 points!

EU12 - lost in Lithuania, scraped past Liechtenstein with an injury time goal at Hampden and a 1-0 in Vaduz. 9 points.

WC10 - lost in Macedonia, 9 points.

EU08 - we were in Pot 4, got Lithuania and Georgia from Pots 5 and 6. Our best qualifying since '98, lost in Georgia, 9 points.

WC06 - lost at home and drew away with Belarus, lost at home to Norway, 4 points. Also drew away with Pot 6 Moldova.

EO04 - lost in Lithuania, 9 points.

WC02 - beat Latvia and San Marino home and away. 

So if we beat the the two teams in the pots below us home and away it'll be the first time in 8 qualifying campaigns, and the last time we did it our opponents were piss. 

BTW, in the draw for the Euro 2000 qualifiers we were SIXTH seed. We drew away with Lithuania, Estonia and the Faroe Islands. 

Did we not score a very late winner in Cyprus even when we had a really good side?
Easy to write off but it’s the type of game we usually throw points away.

Don't bring that up, apparently that doesn't count!!!

48 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Did we not score a very late winner in Cyprus even when we had a really good side?

Easy to write off but it’s the type of game we usually throw points away.

I was conveniently ill from school that day so got to watch it live. I think Gough scored about 5 minutes into injury time - in those days anything more than 2 minutes was very rare. I think the referee was punishing Cyprus for some pretty heinous time-wasting.

Starting line-up that day: Leighton; Malpas, Gough, Narey, McLeish, Nicol; Aitken, McClair, McStay; Mo Johnston, Speedie.

We may be looking at these games and dreaming of 12 points, but Cyprus will be looking at us and seeing a big juicy rare steak.

Archived