2020 Group Draw

kenny131

Poland are definitely the worst team in Pot 1. They were utterly honking at the World Cup and got relegated from a pretty 'meh' group.
We might want a decent Pot 1 team in order for them to body everyone else though.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

How will they do the draw? If a third host nation comes out in a group will they be thrown back in the pot? 

At least it's not the SFA involved.  Then we could look forward to drawing England, Narnia, Lilliput, Germany and England again in our group.

As someone already said, Pot 2 is the key. Add the possible strongest team in Pot 1 and we might have a chance.
My thinking is that a strong team from Pot 1 will beat everybody, whereas a weaker Pot 1 team might drop points to the teams from Pots 2 and 4.
That hardly ever happens. Pot 1 always drops points, and never against us.

13 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:
13 hours ago, Dr Watson said:
As someone already said, Pot 2 is the key. Add the possible strongest team in Pot 1 and we might have a chance.
My thinking is that a strong team from Pot 1 will beat everybody, whereas a weaker Pot 1 team might drop points to the teams from Pots 2 and 4.

That hardly ever happens. Pot 1 always drops points, and never against us.

Most notably when Germany decided to pal up with the Irish and let them steal 3 points to essentially render us irrelevant.  Those cheeky Germans.

With the exception of Poland, all Pot 1 teams are miles better than Scotland and will probably scud us, Poland I still think will have a slight edge over Scotland so finishing 2nd is our best chance. Obviously Germany is the team to avoid in Pot 2 but I also don't fancy Russia, Austria or Sweden. Hopefully it's this:

• Poland
  • Czech Republic
  • Scotland
  • Albania
  • Gibraltar
  • San Marino

And not this...

• France
  • Germany
  • Scotland
  • Georgia
  • Kosovo
  • Latvia

9 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Why are everyone shiting it about Latvia?

They are literally (nearly) as bad as Falkirk. 

I don't think anyone is shiting it from them. If you're picking a worst case scenario group and the choice of a 6th seed is Latvia, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Malta or San Marino then the 1 that had more wins in the last World Cup qualifying group than the other 4 combined seem like the best guess for the team you don't want whilst not being particularly bothered by which one of them we get.

Teams we never meet group 

Switzerland, Bosnia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Andorra.

Personally would like the group to be an exciting one. So be it if it’s a harder group - we tend to raise our game accordingly anyway so not sure how much it matters. 

Wish for:

England, Wales, Greece & Gibraltar would do me. 

36 minutes ago, paddymcp said:

Teams we never meet group 

Switzerland, Bosnia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Andorra.

Personally would like the group to be an exciting one. So be it if it’s a harder group - we tend to raise our game accordingly anyway so not sure how much it matters. 

Wish for:

England, Wales, Greece & Gibraltar would do me. 

Old enough to remember us getting Switzerland twice in a row (Euro 92 and WC 94). The Swiss away game in 92 qualifying (2-2 draw from 2-0 down) is what we have to thank (blame) Doe a Deer for.

On 23/11/2018 at 15:04, JamesM82 said:

Old enough to remember us getting Switzerland twice in a row (Euro 92 and WC 94). The Swiss away game in 92 qualifying (2-2 draw from 2-0 down) is what we have to thank (blame) Doe a Deer for.

We also played them in failing to qualify for Euro 84.

Three times in a row as we also played them at Euro 96!!!

56 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

True story.

We always seem to play this "team we never meet".

Yes, we're always playing a side we haven't met competitively for 22 years. I'm as sick of the sight of them as I am of Lithuania.

Archived