Moving forward

Bing.McCrosby

Supras, doing Suoras things.

Always disappears when you tell him the ten most populated countries are China, India, USA, Indonesia, Pakistan, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Russia and Mexico.

Population is irrelevant. 

Population is not irrelevant. If I had proper internet access then I'd plot Fifa ranking on one axis against population on another and show that population is quite clearly a factor. There's a whole chapter in "Why England Don't Win the World Cup" (Soccernomics type book which isn't actually that good) which goes into the detail on this.

If you run the same data but break it into federations then it's even more apparent.

Also, Russia are the fourth most successful team in the Euros.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Population is not irrelevant. If I had proper internet access then I'd plot Fifa ranking on one axis against population on another and show that population is quite clearly a factor. There's a whole chapter in "Why England Don't Win the World Cup" (Soccernomics type book which isn't actually that good) which goes into the detail on this.

If you run the same data but break it into federations then it's even more apparent.

Also, Russia are the fourth most successful team in the Euros.

Soccernomics is a pile of self confirming bollocks.

Please dont use FIFA rankings either, Switzerland were about 7th in the world a year or so back.

Indeed, the FIFA ranking are so easily manipulated.  Wales and Romania did it a few years ago (Before Bale became so good).  Both nations got guys in to calculate the optimum formula to gain as many ranking points as possible, by arranging friendlies with certain nations.

Wales ended up fucking 7th or something daft.

Just now, Estragon is a fud said:

Population is irrelevant? Must just be a coincidence that Brazil, Argentina, Spain, France, Italy, Germany and England are the most successful footballing nation.  Yep, a complete and utter coincidence and absolutely nothing to do with them all having more than 30 million people. Yes... 

We can definitely compete with Brazil, just need to make sure we've got loads of over-inflated P.E coaches with their "badges". :unsure2:

And three off them got good ecomies and a few have had better ecomies than the south Americans

So they developent in facilities and cash spent on the game the European power houces have the advantage in

Even though for raw talent and people playing and getting involved South America prob leads put on

5 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

What about Belgium?

Uruguay has a population of under 3.5 million and they're pretty damn good.

Having said that, size of population and how the sport is prioritised in the nation are obviously huge factors.

The smaller nations also tend to be less consistent in producing players, with countries such as Denmark, Sweden, Belgium, Scotland, Wales, Ireland all having good teams every couple of generations, however sustaining the quality is much more difficult which could be put down to their population and less chances of players emerging year on year.

Just now, WATTOO said:

Uruguay has a population of under 3.5 million and they're pretty damn good.

Having said that, size of population and how the sport is prioritised in the nation are obviously huge factors.

Aye and there success was in tourements the Brits never wanted to be involved in so hardly a big shout when you don't know how good our team might have performed as good or not so good in it

When at the time we had just about perfected what is now known as the modern.game and a new generation was playing it and adopting it with ax pats around the world 

3 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
4 minutes ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:
Three times more populated than us

And significantly less than many others deemed top dogs. Netherlands also. Portugal, not exactly among the highest world population rankings is it?

Still higher than us and loads off other nations from baltics and Scandinavia 

3 minutes ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Aye and there success was in tourements the Brits never wanted to be involved in so hardly a big shout when you don't know how good our team might have performed as good or not so good in it

When at the time we had just about perfected what is now known as the modern.game and a new generation was playing it and adopting it with ax pats around the world 

I'd say that Uruguay are one of the top sides currently and have been for the past 10 years or so.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'd say that Uruguay are one of the top sides currently and have been for the past 10 years or so.

Aye they are a good team solid at the back with about four attackers that are in some of the best teams in the world

We would pump them at rugby though if they played it 

It's pretty simple. If you have a lage population with a strong footballing infrastructure with good coachino at youth level etc then you obviously have more chance of success as you have a bigger pool to pick from. Having a massive population does not guarantee you amazing players though. Again, China etc have historically never had much of a team but have occasionally brought through some decent players and qualified for the world cup. Then there are teams like the Netherlands who for many years were considered excellent because hey brought through great players with a small pool.  Then you have teams like Iceland and in 04 greece who didnt have amazing players but we're coached to fight together and play as a team.  It's part luck in terms of class players coming through but they need to be nurtured early on. I'm con Vincent countries like ours have missed out on potential world class players as they werent nurtured at youth level and just petered out and went onto do something else instead. 

7 hours ago, Londonwell said:

Zlatan was vastly overrated and only scored goals in poor leagues.

And now we play the waiting game...

Certainly overrated.  Failed with his only crack at the real top with Barca.

Soccernomics is a pile of self confirming bollocks.
Please dont use FIFA rankings either, Switzerland were about 7th in the world a year or so back.
And what would you suggest people use? Plug in the Elo rankings and it'll be the same.

If you're seriously saying that population is irrelevant then I'm looking forward to Liechtenstein or San Marino winning the Euros a generation from now once they get some decent coaching in place.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't think anyone is saying population is irrelevant, just that there are many factors that predict footballing success, that won't be universally valid.

For Scotland I'd say we struggle because we have fewer kids playing, fewer amateur leagues than 20 years ago, not many covered pitches to offset the climate, no money to put PE teachers through coaching qualifications, a badly run football association, a top league whose dominant two teams have bought promising talent off other teams in order not to play them, low pride in the badge after failing to opt for true nationhood recently, and yes, a small population in general.

Who was last guy Rangers bought off a SPL team not to play him?

Kamara is getting in the side Docherty was in side but was loaned out cos a few boss never fancied him

Who else have we took from a SPL team in the last 6 or 7 years who never got a fair shot?

O Halloran and Holt got enough chances to for to be deemed not good enough

Jack starts prob one off our best players this year

So comments like this I can't get my head around

29 minutes ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Who was last guy Rangers bought off a SPL team not to play him?

Kamara is getting in the side Docherty was in side but was loaned out cos a few boss never fancied him

Who else have we took from a SPL team in the last 6 or 7 years who never got a fair shot?

O Halloran and Holt got enough chances to for to be deemed not good enough

Jack starts prob one off our best players this year

So comments like this I can't get my head around

The SPL isn't a thing anymore. 

Just like Rangers. 

Archived