Moving forward

Bing.McCrosby

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

After recent performances, utter shambles if Zander Clark isnt in the squad next time.

If by some miracle Zander Clark gets selected for the National team, he should tell McLeish (and Peter Grant in particular) to fucking ram it.

46 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

After recent performances, utter shambles if Zander Clark isnt in the squad next time.

He was excellent on Sunday, and should certainly be in contention. However, Bain has now seemingly established himself as first choice at Celtic, and has kept 10 consecutive clean sheets, so he's also going to be a strong contender for a spot in the squad. McGregor is obviously first choice, and although Gordon is currently not playing for Celtic, he is vastly experienced and has always performed very well for Scotland.

If anyone else was picked ahead of him then I think Clark would have the right to be annoyed, but if it was McGregor, Gordon and Bain in the squad then I wouldn't have any complaints about that.

42 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He was excellent on Sunday, and should certainly be in contention. However, Bain has now seemingly established himself as first choice at Celtic, and has kept 10 consecutive clean sheets, so he's also going to be a strong contender for a spot in the squad. McGregor is obviously first choice, and although Gordon is currently not playing for Celtic, he is vastly experienced and has always performed very well for Scotland.

If anyone else was picked ahead of him then I think Clark would have the right to be annoyed, but if it was McGregor, Gordon and Bain in the squad then I wouldn't have any complaints about that.

Has Bain actually done anything in those ten clean sheet games?

Last two games he hasn't faced a shot on target, and only kept the clean sheet because Kennedy scuffed a shot and Watt shat out a header.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Last two games he hasn't faced a shot on target, and only kept the clean sheet because Kennedy scuffed a shot and Watt shat out a header.

To be fair, he made a stoater of a save against Airdrie. Can't comment on many of the other games, though.

Keepers for this squad should be McGregor, Bain and Clark . Fully expect Gordon to be in ahead of Clark, though.

1 hour ago, sjc said:

If by some miracle Zander Clark gets selected for the National team, he should tell McLeish (and Peter Grant in particular) to fucking ram it.

Tommy Wright said it for him after the Celtic game, tbf.

Speaking to BBC Sportsound, Wright said: “I’ve absolutely no interest in talking about Scotland, absolutely no interest.

“I mean when you’ve got somebody like Peter Grant saying what he said the last time about him, which was totally disrespectful.

"Scotland can do what they want, if they want to pick him they know where he is.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Far to sensible. 

If Zander Clark and Richard Foster aren't joint captains of the next squad we riot. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tommy Wright said it for him after the Celtic game, tbf.

Always reminds me of when Fergie was asked about the English players at Man United.

Something along the lines of 'I couldn't give a fuck if they play well for England, as long as they play well for me.'

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Far to sensible. 

If Zander Clark and Richard Foster aren't joint captains of the next squad we riot. 

I mean, nobody was at that stage. Frustration with Clark is how Jamie fucking MacDonald got into a squad ahead of him.

Almost every time I see Gordon play these days he does something calamitous. Considering McGregor is the nailed on starter and Gordon hasn’t been playing regularly it would make much more sense to get a younger keeper like Clark in who by all accounts is playing well.

10 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Almost every time I see Gordon play these days he does something calamitous. Considering McGregor is the nailed on starter and Gordon hasn’t been playing regularly it would make much more sense to get a younger keeper like Clark in who by all accounts is playing well.

I'd still have McGregor and Gordon in there, with the former starting.  If McGregor gets some kind of injury on the eve of the game, I'd be far more comfortable putting in Gordon with his wealth of experience than someone untested.  Third spot should definitely move away from having the best-of-the-rest jobber feel to it though, would be nice to call up 3 who have a good call for starting rather than 2 and 1 to punt balls to him at half time.

44 minutes ago, forameus said:

I'd still have McGregor and Gordon in there, with the former starting.  If McGregor gets some kind of injury on the eve of the game, I'd be far more comfortable putting in Gordon with his wealth of experience than someone untested.  Third spot should definitely move away from having the best-of-the-rest jobber feel to it though, would be nice to call up 3 who have a good call for starting rather than 2 and 1 to punt balls to him at half time.

I agree with it but I think there’s also a balance to be had including a third keeper who’s young and playing well. And either way I think it’d be incredibly harsh to Bain and Clark to label either as best of the rest jobbers.

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

I agree with it but I think there’s also a balance to be had including a third keeper who’s young and playing well. And either way I think it’d be incredibly harsh to Bain and Clark to label either as best of the rest jobbers.

I was more meaning that historically, the third spot always went to someone like that.  Not really through any fault of their own, of course, we just always had two very good keepers, rendering the 3rd one being little more than a tool for the warm-up.  It isn't really like that now.

59 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

It's deeply disturbing if they are; one of those guys is most likely the long term replacement for Shagger.  A bit of a step down, granted, but if they are just jobbers then we're in a spot of bother.

22 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

As pointed out earlier, I take it you missed Bain's impression of a brick wall against Airdrie? I think in terms of his all round game, I think Bain is the front runner to replace Gordon and McGregor and will be in the next squad. I've never been Clark's biggest fan, but he seems to have improved his consistency of the performances and has moved ahead of the rest of the pack. My issue with Clark, however, has always been that he doesn't move his feet well enough to make the step up. He's got time to work on that (and he maybe has this year) but, quite frankly, that's a big reason why he's still at St Johnstone IMO. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone relying on a system with Fletcher up front will sorely disappointed when we play teams who aren't utter toilet like Albania and Israel.

He can win all headers and flicks he likes but against a semi decent team it won't be effective, and he'll simply be outmuscled and/or marked out of the game should our tactics be to launch balls long to him in the hope that he holds it up.

We've got a pretty decent midfield with decent attacking options though. This is clearly our strength.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Anyone relying on a system with Fletcher up front will sorely disappointed when we play teams who aren't utter toilet like Albania and Israel.

He can win all headers and flicks he likes but against a semi decent team it won't be effective, and he'll simply be outmuscled and/or marked out of the game should our tactics be to launch balls long to him in the hope that he holds it up.

We've got a pretty decent midfield with decent attacking options though. This is clearly our strength.

He's excellent with the ball at his feet though, and holds it up well. He's not a big muscular target man, but as a creative forward he's hugely underrated.

Archived