Moving forward

Bing.McCrosby

Ok obviously it's a big if, but if we get there

By summer 2020 our young players will be a year and a half older and more experienced (hopefully)

By this time will mcgregor or Gordon still be good enough for in sticks?

Who is gonna play up front? Will Griffiths come back? Fletcher will surely be past it by then.

Will we have a viable right back?

What young players may have forced their way in?

Mikey Johnstone will be 21 by then and Billy Gilmour will be about to turn 19. Maybe a bit young for Gilmour but if he gets a loan next year and does well maybe not.

Who else could be pushing for a place?

Could Harper or gauld or henderson by good enough by then?

I still have hopes for Gauld, but he needs a settled playing environment I feel. Perpetually being on loan and having to fight into the starting line-up every year must be draining. Gilmour looks the real deal though. Hopefully we give a cap to young Dembele too, who'll be 17(?) by then, and who will have, hopefully, kicked on.

But it's as Craig says, things can move very quickly. 

One thing I like about the current team, as evidenced the other night, is the prevalence of Captains. We have Andy with the armband, but Armstrong showed that he is also a great character and leader, ditto McKenna. Much has been made of the ability and youth, but it is the psychological strength which gives us a great platform and makes it easier for younger players (Gilmour et al) to come into the team as there will be less pressure on them than if we were a team shorn of character and belief.

GK is the only concern for me going forward, but again to Craig's point, a young lad might come through somewhere, or a scottish Granny has been discovered somewhere(I was gonna write "unearthed" but that seemed a bit macabre).

9 minutes ago, velo army said:

I still have hopes for Gauld, but he needs a settled playing environment I feel. Perpetually being on loan and having to fight into the starting line-up every year must be draining. Gilmour looks the real deal though. Hopefully we give a cap to young Dembele too, who'll be 17(?) by then, and who will have, hopefully, kicked on.

Gauld appears to be well in the starting 11 now for Farense, he's played the last 4 weeks and was drawing some (limited) praise from their fans (if google translate is correct), so hopefully he continues playing and his performances improve.  I'm not holding out any hope for Dembele tbh, if he doesn't go the way of Islam Feruz and turns out quite good then I expect he'll play for England.

I'm hopeful that Glenn Middleton will break into the squad soon. He's playing regularly for Rangers (albeit only getting regular starts because Kent is injured) and delivering goals and eye-catching performances on the domestic and European stages. Looks very fast and powerful and very composed at finishing. Seems really confident too, which is encouraging given he's only 18. Be good to have him and a few others pushing Forrest and Fraser and establishing a 'conveyer belt' of sorts. Better that than having to play some plodder if one of those two are injured.

Convincing Angus Gunn seems to be the best option we have for GK at the moment, otherwise there's not a lot of options there.  After that you're really hoping that someone like Archer or Clark kick on in their mid to late 20s to be good enough, it's not a position that a young player is likely to break through and make his own though. 

It will be very interesting to see how we play in the qualifiers.

I think one of Scotland's main issues over the last few years has been fear. We have consistently played as if there is a lot to lose, not a prize to be won, and have looked scared in possession as a result. Contrastingly the team the other night looked like it couldn't care less about pressure, our history or fan's expectations. They came to win and they were going to do it their way.

Now with a playoff place in our pocket any remaining worries should be gone and we can play with loads of confidence. The only concern is that's a bit naive.

I'm confident if these players continue to grow we'll qualify, whether we can go much beyond that is a far bigger question.

8 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Convincing Angus Gunn seems to be the best option we have for GK at the moment, otherwise there's not a lot of options there.  After that you're really hoping that someone like Archer or Clark kick on in their mid to late 20s to be good enough, it's not a position that a young player is likely to break through and make his own though. 

Hopefully he will become more receptive to the idea in 1-2 years time, when he is too old for the England U21 team. Can see why he turned down an approach from McLeish earlier in the year, as he would likely have still been behind McGregor / Gordon.

Tierney is probably the "least bad" option for right back

I wouldn't write off Fletcher, it's not like he has much pace to lose anyway. Could still see him being a decent player at 33/34.

The other position that's a bit up in the air is who plays alongside McKenna at centre back.

Edited by JamesM82

40 minutes ago, velo army said:

GK is the only concern for me going forward, but again to Craig's point, a young lad might come through somewhere, or a scottish Granny has been discovered somewhere(I was gonna write "unearthed" but that seemed a bit macabre).

Ha!  Very good.

23 man squad.

Goalkeepers - Craig Gordon will be 37 by the tournament and Allan McGregor will be 38.  I'd be amazed if neither of them were to make the team but you would hope that there would be a youngster coming through just now who could step up. Will Scott Bain be getting game time somewhere? Liam Kelly at Livingston is looking good but very young just now.

Defence - Left back is easy with Robertson and Tierney absolutely nailed on.  Centre half you'd have McKenna, Devlin, Bates and possibly Berra (would be 35) or Souttar.  Ryan Porteous a possible back up?  Right back you're either playing Tierney or O'Donnell I presume.  Not much depth at all here. Graeme Shinnie could come in here if needed. 

Midfield - Forrest, Armstrong, Fraser, McGregor, Christie.  These 5 are crucial to us.  Who else do you include? Oliver Burke if he can get a run of games for his club? Matt Ritchie?  In centre mid we could do with McTominay going on loan or leaving Man Utd and I'm sure John McGinn will still be starring for Aston Villa. Could Lewis Ferguson sneak in too? Has been superb for Aberdeen in big matches this season and only will get better.

Forwards - Fletcher and McBurnie I'd have as nailed on as being in the squad.  Fletcher was superb this week and McBurnie looks a bit raw but has great potential.  Leigh Griffiths and Stevie Naismith I'd like in the squad too. 

I've probably missed somebody very obvious!

Looking at the u21 squad from the recent matches to see who could potentially have a breakthrough to the full team -

Gk - Ross Doohan, Ryan Fulton, Robby McCrorie

DF - David Bates, Ross McRorie, Thomas McIntyre,Ryan Porteous, Liam Smith, Greg Taylor, Ryan Williamson.

MF - Chris Cadden, Allan Campbell, Lewis Ferguson, Billy Gilmour, Lewis Morgan, Stevie Mallan, Elliott Watt.

FW - Eamonn Brophy, Fraser Hornby, Michael Johnston, Glenn Middleton, Oliver Shaw.

Not too many names leaping out at me as being future stars.  Middleton could be good and Johnston has shown in spells that he is gifted but I'd be surprised if any were in the coming squads.

I'd also call up Ricky Foster for the preliminary squad and then kick him when the final 23 are announced.  Not even sure I'd wait that long. Get him along for training and get him to put the cones out.

Edited by The Minertaur

When is our next game???

I do see a scenario coming where because we have now qualified for the Play-Offs that interest is going to be peaked again for the recent call-off brigade and the squad is pretty much going to be the same as it was for the last two games originally and I also very much doubt that the team we saw this week will play again once Tierney and Griffiths are fit and there is a risk that it returns to the same old same old!!!

Yes we need to strengthen in certain areas and potential future loss of form or injury could be a factor but I would like to think that the guys who have advanced us to the stage that only a week ago we doubted we would get to should be more favourably considered in the future!!!

37 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Looking at the u21 squad from the recent matches to see who could potentially have a breakthrough to the full team -

Gk - Ross Doohan, Ryan Fulton, Robby McCrorie

DF - David Bates, Ross McRorie, Thomas McIntyre,Ryan Porteous, Liam Smith, Greg Taylor, Ryan Williamson.

MF - Chris Cadden, Allan Campbell, Lewis Ferguson, Billy Gilmour, Lewis Morgan, Stevie Mallan, Elliott Watt.

FW - Eamonn Brophy, Fraser Hornby, Michael Johnston, Glenn Middleton, Oliver Shaw.

Not too many names leaping out at me as being future stars.  Middleton could be good and Johnston has shown in spells that he is gifted but I'd be surprised if any were in the coming squads.

I'd also call up Ricky Foster for the preliminary squad and then kick him when the final 23 are announced.  Not even sure I'd wait that long. Get him along for training and get him to put the cones out.

Taylor is excellent and is likely to go far in the game, but unfortunately as a left-back his international chances are likely to be limited. Ferguson and Gilmour will definitely play for Scotland in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

When is our next game???

I do see a scenario coming where because we have now qualified for the Play-Offs that interest is going to be peaked again for the recent call-off brigade and the squad is pretty much going to be the same as it was for the last two games originally and I also very much doubt that the team we saw this week will play again once Tierney and Griffiths are fit and there is a risk that it returns to the same old same old!!!

Yes we need to strengthen in certain areas and potential future loss of form or injury could be a factor but I would like to think that the guys who have advanced us to the stage that only a week ago we doubted we would get to should be more favourably considered in the future!!!

March next year will be the next international window, straight into qualifiers.  Expect even if we're a five team group, we wouldn't miss out both March dates.  We'll likely have court (UEFA) mandated friendlies anyway.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Taylor is excellent and is likely to go far in the game, but unfortunately as a left-back his international chances are likely to be limited. Ferguson and Gilmour will definitely play for Scotland in my opinion.

Could Taylor do a job at right back?