Star crossed lovers( a tragedy) Clyde v Berwick

Berwick and Clyde sharing the Christmas spirit by letting each other win a half 3-0. :wub:

A great point given the half-time score but ultimately we fall further behind the top two. It’s really just about trying to cement a play-off spot.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should have won. Even in the first half we hit the woodwork 3 times. Some shambolic defending/keeping somehow meant we were 3-0 down.

I can understand Berwick’s disappointment at the end taking only a point, but I think with hindsight they accept they were ultimately lucky to get it.

Better defending and we wouldn’t have to chase games like this- wasn’t there- so relying on impressions of others- but hearing we could have battered them . Stats say 29 attempts on goal with 10 on target- but surely we shouldn’t be putting ourselves under pressure by conceding so many.  The stats also state in first half they had 3 attempts on target and we go in 3 down- i’ll leave it there........

Pretty much speechless after that. Almost on a par with the Alloa play-off game. Definitely two points dropped and another performance which does not point to a sustained title push. Injuries to McNiff(?) and Cogill are a bit worrying going forward. Goodwillie is a greedy b*****d and could have won us the game with his chances alone. Rankin was immense, I thought. Lamont worth a mention too for a display of sheer effort, and Cuddihy for driving us forward in that second half down the right side.

The lower league's two biggest clubs in producing superb (and heavy) entertainment shocker. Actually mental that fans of absolute nothing sides like QP, Cowden, Albion, East Fife, Stenny and Stirling take offence to criticism of their pointlessness when they could only ever dream of putting on the kind of show we put on every time we meet. Fucking diddys

7 minutes ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

The lower league's two biggest clubs in producing superb (and heavy) entertainment shocker. Actually mental that fans of absolute nothing sides like QP, Cowden, Albion, East Fife, Stenny and Stirling take offence to criticism of their pointlessness when they could only ever dream of putting on the kind of show we put on every time we meet. Fucking diddys

Our last two matches prove tbe entertainment value is with us. If that is how Berwick play regardless of score lines then you certainly get your money’s worth. 

By the way, disappointed you weren’t dishing out the gifts this Christmas fixture. Hopefully next year we can return the favour at your place. 

That was some game :lol:

First half we were our own worst enemies, not just givin away 3 atrocious goals but we let Berwick off the hook, the play was too slow and we gave the ball away needlessly at times

Some difference in the 2nd half. The introduction of Boyle helped, we were a lot quicker, support play far better and Berwick couldn't handle it. Absolutely battered them but poor finishing over and above hitting the woodwork about 4 or 5 times cost us the win

Berwick were hittin us on the break and should probably have got a couple more themselves, but even if they had , we should've been out of sight anyway. 

We finished the game looking much more like what we're good at. Danny should probably stick with the 11 that walked off the park, and if they continue like their second half performance I can't see many teams in this league living with that. 

The effort and quality in the second half was absolutely outstanding. I actually thought there was plenty of both in the first half as well and we struck the woodwork three times, Goodwillie also brought an excellent save out of Brennan and McNiff misread a cross when he had a free header at a set piece. However, with McNiff diabolical defensively (injured?), Cuddihy error prone, someone (maybe Goodwillie) falling asleep for the second at the free kick and Currie messing up twice at the third goal (not choosing a two-man wall to eliminate the chance of a shot, then not saving what was actually a poor effort on goal), we ended up three down. Berwick hit the bar as well.

Boyle had a good impact (absolutely buzzing to see him meandering about the mud in Cowdenbeath next week) but the impetus really came from Rankin, Lamont, McStay and Cuddihy who all put in an incredible amount of running, and played some great one-touch football. Some shocking misses (no idea how McStay missed), McStay hit the bar and there were some decent saves but three goals was the least we deserved.  The third was a cracker. After the equaliser Currie made a terrific save and Berwick hit the post. I felt we lost a bit of momentum with the mental introduction of AKB for the injured Cogill and Berwick started to run right past Nicoll/Rumsby (not a criticism of the former at all). Another couple of good saves from Currie and they hit the bar with a mishit cross but at the other end Goodwillie could and should have scored, whilst Grant hit the post (think that's 8 in total between the teams?) after a superb mazy run.

An enjoyable team to watch, but ultimately one that have now shown they'll come up short chasing the top two. Need to hope we have one of our good periods when the playoffs come around. With no offence to a Berwick side who have improved recently, we should be able to pick up wins against them without having to stage ridiculous comebacks if we're going to compete with Edinburgh/Peterhead. 

Man of the match; Rankin. He could perhaps consider himself to be overlooked for PotM and he's far better in a freer role, rather than playing centrally. I did also think that was the best Goodwillie has played all season, until the last 15 minutes when he tried to do everything himself.

57 minutes ago, HughieMc said:

With Dylan and Martin off injured- did we go 3  at back?  You saying we set up like that Brigton?

our number 1 and 2 central defenders benched from here on in?

Im referring to what made the difference for us was Boyle replacing the Norwegian lad. Our play was faster, controlled the game, created more chances and it just seemed to click

At no point did Berwick batter us, we gave away really soft goals, and they were under the cosh for most of the 2nd due to that change. McNiff went off injured, not sure the situation with Cogill, but I'd play him from the start. 

If we haven't the option of Stewart at LB, I've said before I'd like to see them go to a back three.  

Best & worst £14 quid I’ve spent in a while!
Probably need to repaint the woodwork after that. I can’t remember seeing as many efforts hit the woodwork in a game.
Great team spirit from our boys putting themselves in front of everything at the end and ultimately could have nicked the match in a mad finale.
Goodwillie missed a sitter,Barr could have finished it off twice at the other end. Brennan made the easy hard and the hard stuff elegant.
I hope someone got it all on film because it was a classic.
MerryOki Xmas

Archived