Raw deal

Premiership clubs will gobble up the lion's share of the cash generated by a new £700,000-a-year deal to show SPFL Championship games on BBC2 on a Friday night.

Sportsmail understands BBC Scotland have secured rights to show 20 live second-tier games - both this season and next.

The new contract is due to kick in before Christmas, with Championship coverage switching from BBC2 to the corporation's dedicated new Scottish channel when it launches in February

Under SPFL rules, however, the money will be added to the overall cash pot to be distributed at the end of the season.

And clubs finishing in the bottom half of this season's Championship will earn less than £7,000 a year from the new windfall - despite taking centre stage on the new channel.

In contrast, the winners of this season's SPFL Premiership stand to earn 13..4 per cent of the overall prize pot - meaning they could earn almost 12 times what some Championship sides make

6 minutes ago, The Master said:

This is a consequence of Championship (and lower) clubs wanting a share of the Premiership TV money in the prize pot.

Exactly. If they offer to give up their share of the Premiership TV money, I'm sure the SPFL will let them keep the £700,000.

Of course, they're not going to do that. At the end of the day, no team will have more than a couple of home games shown, and clubs ought to be able to earn a bit more money from advertising as a result. I doubt they'll be massively out of pocket.

Maybe I'm getting this all wrong.

I'm guessing the shares to different clubs are meant to be proportionate to the number of people interested in those clubs, as well as their level of success.

But really? "Less than £7,000" is a bit of an insult. You surely want to support & encourage the Championship diddies, by skimming a little more largesse off the Premiership top 6 etc? A wee bit of wealth redistribution could help the Scottish game.

5 hours ago, luvfitba said:
"New £700,000-a-year deal to show SPFL Championship games on BBC2 on a Friday night."

"The new contract is due to kick in before Christmas, with Championship coverage switching from BBC2 to the corporation's dedicated new Scottish channel when it launches in February"

This literally makes no sense! Excellent journalism again from The Daily Rangers.

I'm guessing they mean switching from Alba to the new channel and absolutely f**k all to with BBC2??

7 minutes ago, Les Westander of County said:

Maybe I'm getting this all wrong.

I'm guessing the shares to different clubs are meant to be proportionate to the number of people interested in those clubs, as well as their level of success.

But really? "Less than £7,000" is a bit of an insult. You surely want to support & encourage the Championship diddies, by skimming a little more largesse off the Premiership top 6 etc? A wee bit of wealth redistribution could help the Scottish game.

The club that finishes last in the Championship will receive £224,000 under the Premiership tv deal, if the reported £32m a year is correct. Top of the Championship will receive £720,000; 5th will receive £320,000 and so on.  Even the team that finishes bottom of League 2 will receive £57,600. And none of them will be appearing on tv under that deal. 

Although the BBC money maybe won’t compensate Championship clubs for appearing on tv, the Sky deal more than makes up for it.

Archived