Ayrshire select squad

kilmarnock1997

Yep hopefully mate although I don’t know who’s been selected for the trial except 2 from my own club. Hopefully they can get a good strong squad together to go and compete in the inter-divisional tournament and in the John smith trophy.

Blair mckie and Ross black from

Crosshouse... Be very hard to pick at starting 11 if everyone was available and willing to play. There’s two ways to pick a squad, One that gives guys opportunities and opens doors for lads to get the chance to play with their select side and at a better level and another that gets the best players in Ayrshire together where possible regardless of who they play with to go and compete with the best associations in the country and give yourself the best chance possible to be successful??

This is where u make decisions with either ur head or ur heart... I know what I’d do, done it before.

Tbf the last couple years teams in the 2nd and 3rd divisions have been represented in the Ayrshire select. I cant see it ever happening as I get the impression even the select team is getting a bit of a drag for most associations let alone setting up b teams. One thing for sure tho, I bet you there wouldn't be as many call offs from The b squad

For that to happen then I presume the rest of the associations would have to do the same in order for there to be competition for these ‘B’ teams to play? The fact of the matter is when these players from the lower divisions are given the opportunity to play, by being brutally honest they just aren’t of a high enough standard to compete with the best of the other associations because that’s what they’re playing against. So back to my first point, do u pick these guys and try and compete and be glorious failures but get a pat on the back for giving opportunities or do u pick the squad best u can with the best u can that is on offer where u can more than compete and potentially have more chance of being successful? It’s a no brainer for me.

For that to happen then I presume the rest of the associations would have to do the same in order for there to be competition for these ‘B’ teams to play? The fact of the matter is when these players from the lower divisions are given the opportunity to play, by being brutally honest they just aren’t of a high enough standard to compete with the best of the other associations because that’s what they’re playing against. So back to my first point, do u pick these guys and try and compete and be glorious failures but get a pat on the back for giving opportunities or do u pick the squad best u can with the best u can that is on offer where u can more than compete and potentially have more chance of being successful? It’s a no brainer for me.
I think, esp In Ayrshire, there is plenty of really good players in the lower leagues.

Two seasons ago teams like yourselves, new farm catrine and killie ams were in the very bottom division, having players like Duffy, Blair, David Robinson, midge, Gareth Campbell, the keeper Williams at new farm ( called up to Scotland) Jamie wylie ( now thistle). I'm not saying they are they very best Ayrshire have to offer but I do not think a team with they 7 in it would have struggled too much against the best of other associations .

So to answer your question I think neither of your suggestions, I think pick the best players regardless of the leagues they are in and you would end up with a mix of players from all the leagues, obviously there may be only 1or 2 from the bottom league depending on the calibre of teams in it. 4/5 from the 2nd and the vast majority of the squad from the prem.

Archived