The World Famous Dundee United vs Wee United (Fri 30 Nov 2018)

27 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Did you give your stash to Watson and Edgenguele before the match? Would explain alot.

That was so Laszlo-esque i expected to see him prancing about the dugout at one point. Thankfully i didnt.

We need a right back. Have done for 3 years. The fact that we missed Murdoch is criminal. Id even encourage Neilson to play there till we get someone in!

We need a new midfielder next to Fyvie. I like Stanton but he should never ever ever play deep like that. Get him further up the pitch or on the bench.

King. Jesus Christ. There really are no words. Next time he should just wear camouflage and lie down at the side of the pitch. Wouldnt get in the way at least. 

McMullan runs about but he truly is awful too. No skill, no end product and built like an anemic child.

Curran did ok when he came on but really isnt good enough.

Roll on January. The board need to back Neilson.  We're in this position because MM was also on the glue when he let Csaba give out 2 and 3 year deals.

People on here have mentioned that I have an occasional habit of showing an overly high level of often unfounded optimism, and despite Shankland having spent a fair amount of time haunting my dreams last night, this morning is one of these occasions.

Last night was a perfect storm of absolutely everything clicking for Ayr, and us have one of those nights when absolutely nothing went right, similar to Falkirk last year, who played 90 minutes of scintillating stuff, but struggled to replicate that 90 minutes at any other stage of the season. I would imagine even the most ardent Ayr fan would agree that their team does not play like that every week. 

That is in no way to take away from what Ayr are capable of, nor how they played;I haven’t seen a team that looked more dangerous coming forward than they did last night, since we dropped down to the Championship. It is more to say that we still got 16 out of 18 against the rest of the league in the 6 games before that, and we just happened to be on the wrong end of a really good night for Ayr, and having lost the first goal early, blundered right into playing in a way that suited the tactics they had planned for us perfectly, leading the the scudding we so richly deserved.

One positive is that last night might well show some frailties that still need to be addressed in January, and as I mentioned in my post last night, full backs are vital.

Does this take some of the shine off things since Robbies arrival? Yes. Have the wheels come off our season? No. 

I fully expect us to go down to Morton next week and win.

Still P2BAA

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People on here have mentioned that I have an occasional habit of showing an overly high level of often unfounded optimism, and despite Shankland having spent a fair amount of time haunting my dreams last night, this morning is one of these occasions.
Last night was a perfect storm of absolutely everything clicking for Ayr, and us have one of those nights when absolutely nothing went right, similar to Falkirk last year, who played 90 minutes of scintillating stuff, but struggled to replicate that 90 minutes at any other stage of the season. I would imagine even the most ardent Ayr fan would agree that their team does not play like that every week. 
That is in no way to take away from what Ayr are capable of, nor how they played;I haven’t seen a team that looked more dangerous coming forward than they did last night, since we dropped down to the Championship. It is more to say that we still got 16 out of 18 against the rest of the league in the 6 games before that, and we just happened to be on the wrong end of a really good night for Ayr, and having lost the first goal early, blundered right into playing in a way that suited the tactics they had planned for us perfectly, leading the the scudding we so richly deserved.
One positive is that last night might well show some frailties that still need to be addressed in January, and as I mentioned in my post last night, full backs are vital.
Does this take some of the shine off things since Robbies arrival? Yes. Have the wheels come off our season? No. 
Still P2BAA
Very good post.

I think I might stick a bet on Dundee United winning the league. They're certainly not out of it, and county might actually be quite happy with that result (as counterproductive as that sounds).

Until I see us play well against a team that sits back - I'll not be confident of winning the league. Early in the thread I (and a few others) called it about last night suiting us. And you're right, everything clicked.

What a night though. Seriously.

21 minutes ago, MacArab said:

Still P2BAA

Really good post , last night can happen to any team at anytime , it happened to us down at Palmerston, it’s how you react that matters , no point getting as low as a number of your fans have in previous posts , we have bounced back tremendously and I have a feeling DU will also ,still a strong chance of winning league , as for us we will just keep doing what we are and see where it takes us , champions ??? Unlikely but play -offs must be our aim 

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

What a poor comeback. Disappointing to say the least.

You really aren't very good at this sort of thing, are you?

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

What a poor comeback. Disappointing to say the least.

You really aren't very good at this sort of thing, are you?

Indeed. Off you pop to the ignore step of tedium.

1 hour ago, RedEd said:

Swansea, Hull, Wigan and Sunderland have been linked with him so far. If he stays in January he will have his pick of clubs. If he leaves then, he might not. It will take a serious amount of money for the Board to sell him. Anyone bidding £200k will be politely told where to go.

I think if you accept that he is unlikely to be with you next season, the win /win for Ayr would be to get decent money for him in January but conditional on an immediate loan back until the end of the season, as St Mirren did with Lewis Morgan. 

For any clubs seriously interested in him, his value after last night went up by a considerable amount. 

A huge amount for Ayr, or indeed any Scottish Championship club is a piddling amount for any of the clubs you have listed as interested. 

Huge disappointment last night but it will be a test of our resilience and of Neilson’s managerial ability.  It also makes clear the positions we need to strengthen in the transfer window.

I was a bit disappointed in the crowd reaction early on.  By full time the crowd had the right to be unhappy but early on after we let in the second there was some ott calls and boos.

1 hour ago, Mr Toon said:

A huge amount for Ayr, or indeed any Scottish Championship club is a piddling amount for any of the clubs you have listed as interested. 

It's not purely about the financials though. The club haven't played top-flight football in four decades. Very few people get into football at this level to make themselves money. Going up after all this time (and without dark money or the local council throwing taxpayer money at them, a la livi) would transform the club and could revitalise a town that's been hacked to death over the last thirty years.

Disappointing lack of heads gone from Dundee United fans, although fans of other teams not involved last night are, bizarrely, making a valiant effort.

I've a sinking feeling this scoreline could be a precursor for the League Cup Final. :(

Not sure sure if he's already been mentioned or not but Micheal Rose last night [emoji122].

Won absolutely everything last night.
He did indeed. But you can't really single anyone out. There was no-one who even had a meh game last night. Geggan was brilliant (great ball through, I think, for moff's goal).

It's not purely about the financials though. The club haven't played top-flight football in four decades. Very few people get into football at this level to make themselves money. Going up after all this time (and without dark money or the local council throwing taxpayer money at them, a la livi) would transform the club and could revitalise a town that's been hacked to death over the last thirty years.
Absolutely this.

28 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I agree with all that. I lived in Ayr for 12 or so years from the mid-80s and popped along to Somerset Park from time to time, always for Morton games but on other occasions too. 

Shankland will certainly, like any young footballer be interested in making himself money, and with the greatest respect more than Ayr could ever afford to pay him. 

That's why I suggested a loan back deal as suiting both parties. Ayr's challenge at the top wouldn't be compromised and they would also have a very substantial sum in the bank for their campaign next season wherever that might be. 

Letting him leave for zero in the summer would surely be a much less satisfactory outcome. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Toon said:

That's why I suggested a loan back deal as suiting both parties.

While examples exist, a loan deal would suggest a truly insane market for him. Yes, he's the best player of his type in the Scottish Championship, but there are plenty of other markets available for young strikers. If clubs get into a bidding war while also offering loans back then Ayr are absolutely fucking laughing though.

At the same time, the hopeless romantic in me still holds out the tiny, faint wish that securing back-to-back promotions gets him to sign on for just one more year.

Unreal win for Ayr and the Arabs sent crashing down to earth.
Imagine when Killie sign Shankland in January though...

We couldn’t afford him.

I’m still of the believe that anyone signing Shankland would be a bit of a gamble but every signing is.

Hopefully Ayr come up.

Archived