The World Famous Dundee United vs Wee United (Fri 30 Nov 2018)

I don't care how Shankland leaves, as long as that permutation means he plays for us for the rest of this season.

I've only seen us play live twice this season now, Thistle first day of the season and last night on the telly. Both times had Crawford and Murdoch CMs and both games we ran over the midfields. McCall has big decisions to make going into the next two huge games.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Thumper said:

While examples exist, a loan deal would suggest a truly insane market for him. Yes, he's the best player of his type in the Scottish Championship, but there are plenty of other markets available for young strikers. If clubs get into a bidding war while also offering loans back then Ayr are absolutely fucking laughing though.

At the same time, the hopeless romantic in me still holds out the tiny, faint wish that securing back-to-back promotions gets him to sign on for just one more year.

Why did you not tell Hartley and McCann about them?

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
14 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:
A terrific performance from Ayr.
They're clearly a good side and to do that to Dundee United after they'd turned things round was sort of amazing.  It would be great if they could keep this going.

Dundee United or Ayr?

and/or

Haven't been paying all that much attention to the rest of the league because *checks table* yep, we're still terrible,  but I would guess that a pre-contract agreement elsewhere would make the most sense for all parties and is the most likely option? Shankland commits to a bumper payrise elsewhere in 6 months, Ayr keep him for the rest of the season. Means no immediate £££ in a transfer fee but keeping him motivated when a league title is within sight shouldn't be an issue despite him committing to leave.

I'd quite like a top flight with Ayr Utd, Hamilton and Livi tbh. A+ grade seethe from crowdwankers.

I've been telling everyone who cared to listen (and even those who didn't) that this is the best Ayr team I've seen in my lifetime and also that we're more than just the Lawrence Shankland show, although I'm not sure if last night's performance by Shankland helped my cause with that one. Another huge factor for me is the fact that the majority are young and they're Scottish and they cost us nothing.

Looking back on the game, Doohan actually didn't have a save to make which surely speaks volumes for our defence and midfield and apart from Shanklands four goals he did actually miss a couple of pretty decent chances which again speaks volumes for our midfielders, support players and wingers. 

McCall must take the plaudits for building this team and creating a style of play which suits the personnel perfectly and is also great to watch from a supporters perspective. Ironically I thought we were weakened without Kerr and Forrest but again the style has stayed the same and if anything we were a bit quicker moving the ball and coming forward with Robbie in the middle rather than Mark Kerr (who I should add has been brilliant for us).

I just hope and pray we can hold on to everyone come January and if we do then there's surely no reason why we can't continue to play this way and stay at or near the top of this league.

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
9 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:
Unless Falkirk take him. They’re a massive club and they take what they want. Apparently.

It's good to see you've finally got it over that whole saga.

Any two from compensation, relegation, liquidation and I’m grand.

No hard feelings.

Just watched it there and I am rather disappointed tbh.
I was hoping for more of a workout for the team for the bigger games ahead.
Och well I don't suppose the shooting practice will have done us any harm.
Mon Ayr.

3 hours ago, Thumper said:

It's not purely about the financials though. The club haven't played top-flight football in four decades. Very few people get into football at this level to make themselves money. Going up after all this time (and without dark money or the local council throwing taxpayer money at them, a la livi) would transform the club and could revitalise a town that's been hacked to death over the last thirty years.

I'd like to see Ayr win this now, but are you not slightly overstating what it would do to the town?

We've been outside the top flight for even longer, but if ever such a thing were to happen to us, it would be great for the couple of thousand people who care, but I can't see that it would have that much wider an impact, financial or otherwise.

I'd love to think such an event could reverse, or even just halt or slow economic decline, but I really don't imagine it would.  

Well that was a sore one last night. Just popped in to say congratulations to Ayr, who were absolutely terrific. First time I've seen them this season and it's safe to say they were much better than I expected. I didn't think we were terrible, perhaps a little flat and got progressively more rattled as the game went on but really it was all about what Ayr did last night. They played how we've been playing under  Neilson but were just much better at it than we were.

I'm hoping that's the best they can play frankly because otherwise it's very difficult to see past them for the league. Anyway congrats. 

50 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd like to see Ayr win this now, but are you not slightly overstating what it would do to the town?

We've been outside the top flight for even longer, but if ever such a thing were to happen to us, it would be great for the couple of thousand people who care, but I can't see that it would have that much wider an impact, financial or otherwise.

I'd love to think such an event could reverse, or even just halt or slow economic decline, but I really don't imagine it would.  

That's why it's a "could". Ayr has staggeringly little going for it these days, but a regular derby could maybe inject a bit of life into the old place yet.

Anecdotally, the local team doing well seems to be about the only thing that cheers people up, when I'm visiting.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Unless Falkirk take him. They’re a massive club and they take what they want. Apparently.

hahahaha remember that, so many shit clubs like Falkirk, Thistle and now both Dundees

Archived