The Alex McLeish Appreciation Thread

Lex

16 hours ago, velo army said:

The first sentence of this starts off with a (deliberate?) mis-reading of my point and ends with a fairly bizarre conclusion. I'll address the former.

Firstly I didn't wonder if other fans pored over hypotheticals. I imagine they do. I was drawing attention to the fact that we won a game and the hypotheticals being explored were entirely negative and betrayed a certain foreboding of joy which is irrational. 

You seem to be making my point well enough with parts two and three of your response. Ryan Fraser and Steven Fletcher both had decent opportunities when we were two up. If they had scored then we know what the outcome of the match would have been, we would have skooshed it. Of that we can be very confident. You and others chose not to explore these hypothetical outcomes. This, one can reasonably surmise, shows a bias towards negativity in spite of a favourable outcome.

Really the crux of my point is; lighten up, enjoy the victory as they haven't been too common, and stop focussing on only they ways it could have gone wrong. That way leads to suffering and general crabbit b*****dry.

Obviously guilty as charged re the crabbit b*****dry.  As a default position though, I'd suggest it's no more irrational than its opposite.  

I wasn't particularly citing the late save as a means of saying we were lucky or anything.  I was simply making the fairly inane observation that we would all have been viewing the match, and resultantly the manager, very differently, had a specific event on the pitch, happened very slightly differently.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye I appreciate the admission to crabbit b*****dry,  and I've been there myself (Faddy scored a belter against Lithuania to make it 3-1 ans I could only focus on what he hadn't done in the previous game.

It's not as inane an observation as you say. It's actually very telling. Scotland fans have been primed to forboding of joy since approx 1978. I do think the events of this world cup left a huge scar on our collective psyche (plus the events of 1979 and the devolution referendum that wasn't accepted) and has coloured our experience ever since. 

I'm a psych student who looks at such things. 'Tis my curse, I suppose.

6 hours ago, velo army said:

Aye I appreciate the admission to crabbit b*****dry,  and I've been there myself (Faddy scored a belter against Lithuania to make it 3-1 ans I could only focus on what he hadn't done in the previous game.

It's not as inane an observation as you say. It's actually very telling. Scotland fans have been primed to forboding of joy since approx 1978. I do think the events of this world cup left a huge scar on our collective psyche (plus the events of 1979 and the devolution referendum that wasn't accepted) and has coloured our experience ever since. 

I'm a psych student who looks at such things. 'Tis my curse, I suppose.

I like to believe it's related to 1978.  It's the first tournament I watched and it gently obsesses me, as reflected in my avatar and a few books I have that are devoted to it.

I think though that any connection between that World Cup and crabbit b*****dry, whether on an individual or national basis, tends to get overstated.

On 23/11/2018 at 13:11, Lex said:

There also seems to be an attitude among some that we should have been winning this group. Based on what exactly?

Certainly can’t have been recent competitive performances.

We were first seeds? 

No axe to grind with McLeish but we  absolutely should have been winning the group, and we did. Onwards and upwards. 

Yeah, to say that we shouldn't have been expected to win this group is giving the team a massive amount of leeway that wouldn't be deserved.  Whether we've been poor recently or not, we should have definitely had enough to get by a desperately poor Albania side and a distinctly meh Israel side.  And we almost didn't.  We still deserve the base credit for actually getting there, but nothing behind that.

EDIT: And not that any of that matters by the way.  I don't really care if we did or didn't deserve it, or if every goal was a set-piece off somebody's arse.  We got there, that's it.  2 games to go.

20 hours ago, forameus said:

Yeah, to say that we shouldn't have been expected to win this group is giving the team a massive amount of leeway that wouldn't be deserved.  Whether we've been poor recently or not, we should have definitely had enough to get by a desperately poor Albania side and a distinctly meh Israel side.  And we almost didn't.  We still deserve the base credit for actually getting there, but nothing behind that.

EDIT: And not that any of that matters by the way.  I don't really care if we did or didn't deserve it, or if every goal was a set-piece off somebody's arse.  We got there, that's it.  2 games to go.

I wouldn't say two games to go; we have a qualifying campaign to negotiate. if we do poorly or disastrously then McLeish shouldn't get the opportunity to manage us for those two games....

2 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

I wouldn't say two games to go; we have a qualifying campaign to negotiate. if we do poorly or disastrously then McLeish shouldn't get the opportunity to manage us for those two games....

I really can't see this change being made unless we start the qualifying with an absolute nightmare run. - no way will the SFA change manager immediately before the semi final.

You've got to remember that McLeish was appointed before Ian Maxwell took over the role, and that there have been a lot of murmurings that Maxwell didn't want him for the job. I therefore don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Maxwell could get rid of him if the qualifiers start badly.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

You've got to remember that McLeish was appointed before Ian Maxwell took over the role, and that there have been a lot of murmurings that Maxwell didn't want him for the job. I therefore don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Maxwell could get rid of him if the qualifiers start badly.

Was Maxwell not in the role when McLeish was hired?  I'm sure the story was that he and a few others didn't want McLeish, but ceded the decision to another group so that they could get their way somewhere else.

If that's true (which I've no idea if it is) and Maxwell still doesn't want him, while I completely agree with your logic, what gives him more authority to punt him than he had in the decision to hire him in the first place?

25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Maxwell was on the SFA board at the time that the appointment was made, but wasn't the Chief Executive. Regan left in January, McLeish was appointed in February, and Maxwell didn't take over until May.

Fair enough, thought it might be like that.

I guess it could happen then, but Maxwell wasn't quite a boardroom shark, he was at "not so cuddly but actually pretty cuddly" Thistle.  I can't see him having the balls to punt him unless he reeeeeally shits the bed.  

It wouldn't be his call alone of course, although the remaining Board reportedly divide on the lines of a camp who wanted McLeish and one who didn't but got allowed their head for Maxwell.

Should qualifying have turned disastrous, it would be a brave hierarchy who left a potentially unique opportunity to qualify via playoffs to the leader of the disaster out of a sense of loyalty.

Equally, it would have to be a pretty big disaster to fire someone early enough in the campaign to have games left - or to fire with no games before the playoffs.

Also worth saying that, as always, whether or not it is a good idea to punt a manager often rests on who you replace him with.  Strachan deserved to go, but we replaced him with McLeish, and there were calls that we should have just kept the former.  Had we hired someone who looked a bit better in the role, then the decision suddenly goes from questionable to 100% right.

Long story short, I have absolutely zero faith in the SFA letting someone go, and actually having a workable plan in place to replace him with someone better.  Never have and likely never will.

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Alex on STV doing his latest interview, the man's no right, this moron is taking 3 minutes to finish a basic sentence. Is it any wonder that players can't be arsed playing for him? I'd be wanting to punch his puss after 15 minutes of his drole company. 

Away and don’t talk shite. 

• 1 month later...

Archived