The Alex McLeish Appreciation Thread

Lex

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

You’d sack a man who is ill? You swine! Ask him to take some sick leave. That would be the compassionate thing to do.

Fair point. He would  need to acknowledge he was ill though.

However it's best achieved I don't think he should be in the job.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

That Sky interview had resignation written all over it.  

D'you reckon?  He cut a sad, embattled figure and I almost felt a bit sorry for him.

I fear however, that everyone is resigned, except him.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

D'you reckon?

I think everyone is resigned, but him.

He seemed incredibly deflated considering the team had just won.  The two goalscorers looked thoroughly miserable too.  I think the "sacked in the morning" chants put a huge downer on things.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

D'you reckon?

I think everyone is resigned, but him.

I thought the same. Absolutely no way McLeish hands his notice in. If I was him I wouldn’t either it’s the SFA who have fucked up here. 

23 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Going back to Craig Brown for a second, he said another thing that resonated. 

He told of an anecdote about Gary McAllister whereby Leeds told him (Brown) that they wouldn't release McAllister for a Scotland game as they needed him for a game against Arsenal. Brown, in no uncertain terms, told Leeds that he would be having McAllister and that if they dared to stop him he'd invoke the FIFA law that Northern Ireland recently used on Lafferty. He even reiterated this to the Leeds chairman after the chairman called up Brown to say they wouldn't release McAllister. End result was that McAllister played for Scotland.

Can you imagine McLeish doing that? I understand that it's different times, and that it's much more of a risk now as player agents will likely advise that the players 'retire' from international football, but surely the result is the same anyway (i.e. player doesn't play for Scotland) and if we have to sacrifice a couple of players in order to get the message across I'd be all for it.

Sadly McLeish currently comes across as a bit soft, so can't see him doing that.

And will there be any benefit from forcing players to play, imagine he invoked the fifa rule for 6 or 7 of them, and they went in half arsed and got beat, mcleish would be rounded on for forcing guys to play who didnt want to over guys who do

He shouldnt be in the job, but the players both missing and available need to take a massive portion of the blame 

22 hours ago, RobbieD said:

Brown also said he had 3 Manchester United players in his team - McClair, Strachan and Leighton - who were league champions.  Strachan was gone before 1990.  Leighton was gone by 1991.  United won the league in 1993.

Wee gordon won the last first division title in 92 with leeds though. So he was nearly right

28 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

That Sky interview had resignation written all over it.  

He wont resign as he wouldn't get the compensation he needs to write off his ebt debts.

Are we all meant to assume its coincidence he gets a £1.7m bill for that, just months after being hired by Scotland on a deal worth £1m? Or do we see the possibility he knew the bill was coming and was moaning about it to his best pal, who happens to hire managers for the SFA.

On 3/23/2019 at 12:22, Distant Doonhamer said:

He states repeatedly that preparation was thorough and players were specifically and "quite vocally" (why does that matter) warned about the danger from through balls. 

"Look, lads, sometimes your opponent will kick the ball past you for his mate to run on to. This is a bad thing; you need to stop it from happening, or we might lose the game".
"Aye, whatever, old man. As if".

That's a terrifying conversation to imagine an international manager to be having with professional footballers  :lol:

6 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

This whole McLeish Scotland manager saga is starting to feel like a remake of "Mike Bassett - England Manager", at least the bits where England are terrible

They had us getting humped by Ethiopia in that, IIRC.

Currently 151th in the World Rankings, and probably more likely to be in Qatar in 2022  :(

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/alex-mcleish-urges-scots-vote-1957846.amp

McLeish is a knock kneed bitch who thinks we shouldn't even be our own country.

Little surprise he shows no belief given he doesn't believe in Scotland itself.

Archived