The Alex McLeish Appreciation Thread

Lex

On 11/02/2019 at 18:24, tree house tam said:

Alex on STV doing his latest interview, the man's no right, this moron is taking 3 minutes to finish a basic sentence. Is it any wonder that players can't be arsed playing for him? I'd be wanting to punch his puss after 15 minutes of his drole company. 

As posted on other threads I genuinely think the guy isn't well.

It`s sad.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I`ve been perusing a number of interviews that McLeish has done in the time since match day.  As yet I've yet to see a single reference which suggests that he feels he might have got anything wrong the other night. I get that he has to say he still feels we can still qualify but from what I can see without naming individuals he`s hanging the players out to dry.

He states repeatedly that preparation was thorough and players were specifically and "quite vocally" (why does that matter) warned about the danger from through balls.  

He understandably highlights call offs but as previously discussed he chose to travel to this match comfortable in the knowledge that it was very likely we wouldn't have a fit recognised LB.

He knew the team was inexperienced and had a back 4 and keeper who had never played together before but again he chose to start the match with no  player who`s strentghs would include the ability to protect said back 4. 

For all the stuff about thorough preparation McLeish clearly underestimated Kazakhstan.  Many of us did, me included, but unfortunately for McLeish it`s his job to set us up in a manner that maximises the opportunity of winning a crucial game. He singularly failed to do that.

It`s all OK though because started the game well :o

I liked McLeish as Scotland manager first time round. It`s a sad watch now.

We really need to get behind Big Eck and the team now. 

It would just be typical of us to beat Belgium the next time we meet.

I'm guessing this will be the kind of shite Craig Brown will be coming out with shortly on Off the Ball.

Time to turn off.

It's sad f**k all, he's destroying our National team for the price of a tax bill. Get him to f**k and the shower of shite that's with him. 

We didn't create his problems, his greed, when avoiding due taxes caused his shit. 

That snivelling rat Dodds, the Bambrini's and the Spice boys can get to f**k also. Six c***s on BBC to dissect Scottish football, when Beattie can do it himself!

29 minutes ago, wishyman said:

It's sad f**k all, he's destroying our National team for the price of a tax bill. Get him to f**k and the shower of shite that's with him. 

We didn't create his problems, his greed, when avoiding due taxes caused his shit. 

That snivelling rat Dodds, the Bambrini's and the Spice boys can get to f**k also. Six c***s on BBC to dissect Scottish football, when Beattie can do it himself!

The reason i think it`s a sad watch is that I genuinely don`t think he`s well (i.e. he`s ill).

He should never have been appointed but he wasn`t going to turn the gig down.

I`ve no sympathy for him in any regard re taxes paid/not paid or any related avarice. 

Just to be clear I`d have sacked him in Kazakhstan.

1 hour ago, LeeVanTeeth said:

We really need to get behind Big Eck and the team now. 

It would just be typical of us to beat Belgium the next time we meet.

I'm guessing this will be the kind of shite Craig Brown will be coming out with shortly on Off the Ball.

Time to turn off.

Craig Brown came out with something even more staggering on Off The Ball.

When asked about the SFA, he said it was too committee based now and was more effective when run more autocratically.  He cited the way David Murray ran Rangers as an example of how organisations benefit from being controlled by one powerful individual.

If he's capable of  saying that, it maybe shouldn't surprise us that he's backing McLeish.

The reason i think it`s a sad watch is that I genuinely don`t think he`s well (i.e. he`s ill).
I`ve no sympathy for him in any regard re taxes paid/not paid or any related avarice. 
Sorry to be a p***k but ` isn't an apostrophe

10 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
54 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Sorry to be a p***k but ` isn't an apostrophe

No worries. :lol:

It's not easy being old you know. 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

When asked about the SFA, he said it was too committee based now and was more effective when run more autocratically.  He cited the way David Murray ran Rangers as an example of how organisations benefit from being controlled by one powerful individual.

Good grief. I thought Paw Broon was one of the less daft old boys in Scottish football circles.

Some absolute pish being spouted by old man Broon earlier on Off The Ball.

Of course he jumped to the defence of McLeish but his arguments for McLeish remaining in position were nonsense and actually went against McLeish.

He kicked off with McLeish's record during his previous spell in charge. It's utterly irrelevant as that was over a decade ago and was with a totally different group of players, not one of which is still in the squad. Even if we do accept that, he still oversaw the utter arse collapse in Georgia during that spell, as well as a narrow last minute win at home to Georgia. Of course the wins over France, Ukraine and Lithuania were excellent results and performances but as stated, they were over a decade ago with a far superior group of players. The overall record of 7 wins from 10 in his first spell is padded out with friendly wins against Austria and South Africa as well as a qualifying game in the Faroe Islands.

If we're talking friendly wins in to account when judging him, and the 7 wins from 10 was mentioned a lot, then surely the friendly defeats he's been in place for since being appointed for his second spell count against him?

Next up was the argument of all the withdrawals as a mitigating factor. This however is actually an argument against McLeish. Whilst some managers have had a lot of call offs for a game or two, none have had the sustained high number of call offs that McLeish has had for every squad. It's very obvious that a lot of players don't want to play for him. It's part of his job to convince and ensure players are available. He's failing in that. He might be too soft in dealing with them but its more likely that he's actually putting players off by being utterly uninspiring, and players are seeing a mile off that shite like Israel and Thursday are inevitable under his pish management and want no part of it.

We had the argument that the players must take some of the blame. True to an extent but ultimately it's the manager who picks them and sets out how they should play. He sets the mood and its clear the players were scared and confused. McLeish himself said he told them to move the ball fast and take as few touches as possible. All this resulted in was players giving the ball away far too often and no one getting on the ball to try and slow things up a bit when required, to build possession and allow players to move and make runs, as well as letting players get some touches to calm them down and bring them in to the game.

Really, there is no defending him and there is no reason why he should still be in the job.

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

If he's capable of  saying that, it maybe shouldn't surprise us that he's backing McLeish.

He's wrong anyway. Apart from some technical committees - supervising club licensing, medical, and referees - there are no committees left. Organisationally the body is to a large extent run by a handful of office bearers/board members and the professional staff they appoint and instruct. It has been reported by a number of outlets and pundits that a power struggle over the new manager and new CEO (himself a Board member) was resolved by 2-3 getting to pick the manager and 2-3 getting to appoint the other as CEO.

I don't think McLeish is helping himself with his press conference quotes at the moment... He is relying an awful lot on sound-bytes but some of them have little or no connection to games. His comments on Thursday about making a "bright start" to the game, having gone 1-0 down on 5mins and 2-0 down before 10mins, were an example. Listening to today's on the radio he seemed so say that we had some "great performances and great results" earlier in the season unless I misunderstood him... other than beating Albania twice and scraping a home win over Israel you'd be hard pushed to discern them. He has to deflect the questions on his future and if we need to beat San Marino convincingly, granted, but being so vague or off-piste is too far the other way.

I don't think McFadden has helped things either by telling Liam McLeod and Billy Dodds at Astana airport they "would not do anything differently with the preparation" or whatever the exact quote was - putting the 3-0 defeat only down to sub-standard performance by the players. If you're getting hashed 3-0 by Kazakhstan there must be some preparations/tactics/selections/etc. awry.

Going back to Craig Brown for a second, he said another thing that resonated. 

He told of an anecdote about Gary McAllister whereby Leeds told him (Brown) that they wouldn't release McAllister for a Scotland game as they needed him for a game against Arsenal. Brown, in no uncertain terms, told Leeds that he would be having McAllister and that if they dared to stop him he'd invoke the FIFA law that Northern Ireland recently used on Lafferty. He even reiterated this to the Leeds chairman after the chairman called up Brown to say they wouldn't release McAllister. End result was that McAllister played for Scotland.

Can you imagine McLeish doing that? I understand that it's different times, and that it's much more of a risk now as player agents will likely advise that the players 'retire' from international football, but surely the result is the same anyway (i.e. player doesn't play for Scotland) and if we have to sacrifice a couple of players in order to get the message across I'd be all for it.

Sadly McLeish currently comes across as a bit soft, so can't see him doing that.

Brown also said he had 3 Manchester United players in his team - McClair, Strachan and Leighton - who were league champions.  Strachan was gone before 1990.  Leighton was gone by 1991.  United won the league in 1993.

7 minutes ago, RobbieD said:

Brown also said he had 3 Manchester United players in his team - McClair, Strachan and Leighton - who were league champions.  Strachan was gone before 1990.  Leighton was gone by 1991.  United won the league in 1993.

Yes, I caught that bit.  He really was gibbering rubbish.  

It's  probably unfair to pick apart McLeish's latest press conference rambling given the pressure he's under, but I'm going to do It anyway.

He comes out with drivel about looking to the future , not the past, before claiming that we've been excellent in the  recent past, presumably in beating Albania.

He also says we can apologise for Thursday by winning our next game.  I've a feeling he wouldn't say that if the opposition was virtually anyone else at all.  

He then ducks the bit about his own future by saying he doesn't deal with hypotheticals or speculation, as if this signifies a principled, moral stance.

He's simply shambolic.

You’d sack a man who is ill? You swine! Ask him to take some sick leave. That would be the compassionate thing to do.

Archived