The Alex McLeish Appreciation Thread

Lex

Old Eck’s gone and won the group.

4 competitive games, 3 wins, 10 goals, who can argue with those numbers? He’s even went and turned James Forrest into Messi. What a turnaround since he took over, he’s really proved the doubters wrong.

I think this is the best Scotland team since... well since the last time he was in charge actually.

Two wins away from a major tournament now... it’s within touching distance. Post your messages of appreciation for the job Alex McLeish is doing with Scotland here.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Lex said:

Old Eck’s gone and won the group.

4 competitive games, 3 wins, 10 goals, who can argue with those numbers? He’s even went and turned James Forrest into Messi. What a turnaround since he took over, he’s really proved the doubters wrong.

I think this is the best Scotland team since... well since the last time he was in charge actually.

Two wins away from a major tournament now... it’s within touching distance. Post your messages of appreciation for the job Alex McLeish is doing with Scotland here.

Hiya Alex, hiya pal .

I wonder how many of that team would have played if McGinn, Naismith, Griffiths, Tierney, Mulgrew, Souttar, Hanley, Martin, Ritchie and Snodgrass (who am I missing) had been available.

We all got lucky.

Callum McGregor, Forrest and Armstrong all came of age this week. They must have looked around the dressing room and realised they had no-one in their area of the pitch to look up to. They're the guys now. With Alan McGregor, Steven Fletcher and Andrew Robertson, they're the leadership group. 

I now honestly feel that Fletcher ought to be first choice up front. He'll score fewer goals than Naismith or Griffiths, but the team will score more goals with him in it. When he was subbed I did something I've never done before: I applauded the telly. He held everything up, linked up brilliantly and occupied both centre halves. I thought that was his best performance in a Scotland shirt. When he went off nothing was sticking up front any more, and that's what invited them on to us.

We're still pretty bad at centre half. We just don't have the players there, and haven't for a long time now. It was a risk to play two deep midfielders who have attacking mentalities and against better opponents we'd have been in trouble. As it is, we nearly blew it in that area and McLeish needs to think about how he's going to protect that soft core.

If we had Israel and Albania in a qualifying group, we wouldn't be overly excited about getting 9 points from them. The away win in Albania would be really pleasing, the wins at home would be no more than par, and the defeat in Israel would have been three points chucked away. McLeish hasn't really achieved anything amazing here.

Still feels great though. Not just the result, the two performances and the goals. Fingers crossed this is a platform for more.

I now honestly feel that Fletcher ought to be first choice up front. He'll score fewer goals than Naismith or Griffiths, but the team will score more goals with him in it. When he was subbed I did something I've never done before: I applauded the telly. He held everything up, linked up brilliantly and occupied both centre halves. I thought that was his best performance in a Scotland shirt. When he went off nothing was sticking up front any more, and that's what invited them on to us.

Good to have you on board.
[Mention]forameus[/mention] and I meet every Wednesday at my house to watch videos of Fletcher's highlights.
Bring your top from the Euro 2016 qualifying campaign with 'Fletcher 9' on the back.

Regarding Fletcher. He's been my favourite Scotland player for a while, mainly because of the creative role he plays. He played excellently tonight and was clearly playing with a lot of enjoyment/confidence.

I do think his performance against Germany in Germany was incredible too. I think he's hugely underrated and under-appreciated. 

Tonight was pleasing, but taking off Armstrong made life a bit too difficult.

I've been a critic, but I'll give him credit for the past 2 games - the performance level has definitely went up a notch. Hopefully when all of the call offs decide they fancy it again he doesn't change too much - the energy and aggression in that team was great to see. We're not quite there yet defensively - Bates and Paterson aren't the answer, and McGregor and Armstrong are uncomfortable sitting deep - but we've definitely got a template to work from now.

Also I'll give another shout to Steven Fletcher. He's undeniably the number 9 of choice for me now. He's the perfect foil for the pace of Fraser, Forrest and Christie and will bring a lot more to the team than Griffiths or Naismith will.

Fair play to Eck and the boys.Job done ..I think most of the problems we had vanished as soon as we stopped the 3 at the back..Weve now got almost two teams to pick from depending on fitness / suspension ..Keep that formation and  see how we get on next game..No-one is getting carried away but its a great  to see a wee bit of success for a change..

9 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Good to have you on board.
[Mention]forameus[/mention] and I meet every Wednesday at my house to watch videos of Fletcher's highlights.
Bring your top from the Euro 2016 qualifying campaign with 'Fletcher 9' on the back.

I'm a hipster*, is it alright if I wear my Fletcher 9 Marseille top instead?

*I'm really not.

steven-fletcher-marseille.png

Archived