Driving lessons

Ylf

Just now, Billy Rubin said:

I'm saving driving instructors make fewer claims against insurance than the average driver, hence premiums are lower.     Remember they have dual controls.  

First, that is not the opposite of what I wrote.

Second, it is immaterial how many claims they make. If their car is in use by non-qualified drivers their premiums will be high.

My personal insurance is around three times what I should be paying despite my no claims policy. Why? Because I also have cover for my son, who only recently passed his test. 

The dual control is only a braking mechanism. It does not give the instructor actual control of the car.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Moses Supposes said:

First, that is not the opposite of what I wrote.

Second, it is immaterial how many claims they make. If their car is in use by non-qualified drivers their premiums will be high.

My personal insurance is around three times what I should be paying despite my no claims policy. Why? Because I also have cover for my son, who only recently passed his test. 

The dual control is only a braking mechanism. It does not give the instructor actual control of the car.

Your insurance has increased because your son ( and I'm absolutely not wishing any harm on him )  is more of an insurance risk now he's unsupervised.    The risk has increased because he's no longer sitting beside a qualified ADI with time served road awareness and the complete ability to control the car from the passengers' seat.   

It's quite straightforward stuff.   

3 minutes ago, Billy Rubin said:

Your insurance has increased because your son ( and I'm absolutely not wishing any harm on him )  is more of an insurance risk now he's unsupervised.    The risk has increased because he's no longer sitting beside a qualified ADI with time served road awareness and the complete ability to control the car from the passengers' seat.   

It's quite straightforward stuff.   

It is very straightforward, as described in the following article that I found after a few moment's searching.

https://be-a.co.uk/what-car-insurance-does-a-driving-instructor-require/

4 minutes ago, Moses Supposes said:

It is very straightforward, as described in the following article that I found after a few moment's searching.

https://be-a.co.uk/what-car-insurance-does-a-driving-instructor-require/

Yes perhaps the article is correct and folk that actually do the job are wrong.    

The average premium for a driving instructor with zero points will be about £330 per annum for 40,000 miles on a brand new Fiesta or suchlike.   

1 minute ago, Billy Rubin said:

The average premium for a driving instructor with zero points will be about £330 per annum for 40,000 miles on a brand new Fiesta or suchlike.   

This discussion is circular and very boring. 

That is my last word on the matter. 

4 minutes ago, Billy Rubin said:

You big tease.

5 hours ago, dysartrovers said:
15 hours ago, eez-eh said:
I know you’re PB and you’re trolling but it’s probably more like £25*35, less petrol, sky-high insurance, car maintenance etc.

The insurance isn't sky high 

The voice of sanity.    

A driving instructor is basically the lowest of all insurance risks.    Granted they might cover 50,000 per annum but it's done safely.   

• 1 month later...
On 20/11/2018 at 18:59, gav-ffc said:

Currently sitting my lessons at the moment and feeling really confident when out on the road. 

Far too extortionate and wish I had done it years ago when it was less thn £20 a lesson but i block booked 5 at a time which save a little but not much.

Sat my theory last Tuesday and passed, done my practical this morning and passed with 1 minor.

Any advice I would give to anyone learning is study like f**k for your theory and you’ll pass easy and on your test you can’t check your mirrors enough.

2 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Sat my theory last Tuesday and passed, done my practical this morning and passed with 1 minor.

Any advice I would give to anyone learning is study like f**k for your theory and you’ll pass easy and on your test you can’t check your mirrors enough.

And don't hesitate ever, attack the route. And be careful parking at the end in case you're marginal. Not sure how much the theory test has changed but it was easy 20 years ago if you just did a few trial tests the day before. Had to do an early video test on anticipating dangers on the road and it was a piece of pish. 

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

And don't hesitate ever, attack the route. And be careful parking at the end in case you're marginal. Not sure how much the theory test has changed but it was easy 20 years ago if you just did a few trial tests the day before. Had to do an early video test on anticipating dangers on the road and it was a piece of pish. 

Aye planning well in advance or as they call it now eco driving.

Theory now includes stuff about first aid if you arrive at a crash etc.

My sister in law failed it 4 times but never studied for it just expected to show up, boy was actually at the test centre without his provisional and also 15 minutes late and looked like he had just rolled out of bed and was told to bolt by the girl behind the desk. Some people.

Archived