Driving lessons

Ylf

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Doesn't the driving test include changing wheels and using a Sat Nav 

It didn't 12 years ago. They might have asked you a question on what you would do if you had a burst tyre, but they don't ask you to physically get out and do it. 

My driving instructor got done for being a sleazebag. Looking back he used to ask about lassies in my year and I thought it was creepy at the time.

He also told me I was going to fail my test, passed with one minor. I picked up driving really easily for some reason.

9 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

My driving instructor got done for being a sleazebag. Looking back he used to ask about lassies in my year and I thought it was creepy at the time.

He also told me I was going to fail my test, passed with one minor. I picked up driving really easily for some reason.

Driving is really easy.

Passing the test is the difficult bit.

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Driving is really easy.

I hated every minute of the lessons and my first two tests. The third one I drove like a madman, determined not to get done for hesitation, and went over the speed limit three times and zipped past a learner when he was practicing a 3 point turn. Still passed.

6 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Was "phone the AA" an acceptable answer?

I failed that test, so assuming no.

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Driving is really easy.

My instructor told me on my first lesson "I'll teach you how to pass your test, then you'll learn how to drive". I could see how pleased he was with that wee saying, I thought he was a bit of a w**k then and still do now, but he was probably quite right there.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I hated every minute of the lessons and my first two tests. The third one I drove like a madman, determined not to get done for hesitation, and went over the speed limit three times and zipped past a learner when he was practicing a 3 point turn. Still passed.

One of our grandson's failed twice for that. The third time he went up he got through. I felt sorry for him - he's a sensible lad, he'd bought himself a wee car and was  by no means a young racer.

I've been a passenger with him a couple of times and he is a canny driver, but I'd rather that than have him roaring round the roads, especially where he lives.

He's only allowed to drive certain places - although he might be getting a bit more freedom now - I felt it was a bit rich of his mother to start laying down rules about where, when and who he could drive with, after all he bought the car, passed his test and paid his insurance (upwards of £2,000.00), considering the first night she was out in her first car she wrote it off! But I held my counsel.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

One of our grandson's failed twice for that. The third time he went up he got through. I felt sorry for him - he's a sensible lad, he'd bought himself a wee car and was  by no means a young racer.

I've been a passenger with him a couple of times and he is a canny driver, but I'd rather that than have him roaring round the roads, especially where he lives.

He's only allowed to drive certain places - although he might be getting a bit more freedom now - I felt it was a bit rich of his mother to start laying down rules about where, when and who he could drive with, after all he bought the car, passed his test and paid his insurance (upwards of £2,000.00), considering the first night she was out in her first car she wrote it off! But I held my counsel.

Think most of the bad stuff happens when a young driver is egged on by his mates to show off, especially when he's the dedicated sober driver. Not sure how you can control it though.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Think most of the bad stuff happens when a young driver is egged on by his mates to show off, especially when he's the dedicated sober driver. Not sure how you can control it though.

I think that's true, but I think his mates are fairly sensible, too, but I suppose you never know what young lads will get up to. (Although we should  do if we look back on our own youth...)

Don't give him the car keys!!!

Currently sitting my lessons at the moment and feeling really confident when out on the road. 

Far too extortionate and wish I had done it years ago when it was less thn £20 a lesson but i block booked 5 at a time which save a little but not much.

IMG_1768.jpg

My sister(s) took in excess of 70 lessons to pass their tests. This is in the mid 90’s when it was about £10-£15 per lesson. After passing my sister agreed to drop my mum and dad at a night out. They were less than two minutes out the house when my dad comes back in and says I’d need to drive them. She got to the bottom of the road (300 yards?) and pulled straight out onto the main road without looking apparently. 70 lessons and 25 years on she’s still horrific.

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

It sounds like he was the one wanting to pick up a minor.

#amirite

I had my first driving lesson in January 2015, I was busy with work so it took a bit of persuasion from my instructor to book my tests. 

I was pretty unlucky with my tests, first one was Jan 2016 and I just failed in the final minute because I was asked to park up and pull away, and when I pulled away the examinor felt I didn't give ample room between myself and the car behind (I disagreed) . Second test was meant to be in March but was cancelled the day before it was due as my examinor was ill and there was no cover. Third test was booked for April and it was the same examinor as before and we were speaking about football results and I was approaching a roundabout and indicated one exit early, noone pulled out in front of me but he said if someone did then it would have caused an accident so fail for that. Fourth test was in the June and me and my instructor turned up to the test to find out another examiner had to go home due to falling ill and there was no replacement! Fifth time my examinor was actually being examined by a superior who sat in the back, and this was the time I finalled passed with three minors. 

I think this has actually put me off driving as it cost me so much. I then got a rust bucket of a car which had numerous issues, got a new car in earlier this year which has been good. I try not to drive unless it's to work, football or necessity. 

Archived