TLC: Tables, Ladders & Chairs 2018

JamieStevenson

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

R-Truth and Carmella will both enter at number in their respective Rumbles as a result of winning the Mixed Match Challenge :lol:

Meh. It's harmless enough stuff.

I'm thinking three way women's main event after that match ending, and the fact that they wanted Charlotte in the match originally. 

Watched a bit last night and caught up this morning.

AJ v DBry Is worthy of a big 5 main event. They have more to offer.

Dean v Seth should’ve been the first match of the night instead of being In the middle when the crowd are starting to get bored. Hopefully Seth moves away focuses on the rumble. I’d like to see Balor get a chance at the IC title again.

The SD ladies title was good, 3 excellent stars all built better than Raw. Great Asuka finally got her chance. Ronda v Charlotte v Becky WM35 I think.

2 hours ago, FifeArab said:

Watched a bit last night and caught up this morning.

AJ v DBry Is worthy of a big 5 main event. They have more to offer.

Dean v Seth should’ve been the first match of the night instead of being In the middle when the crowd are starting to get bored. Hopefully Seth moves away focuses on the rumble. I’d like to see Balor get a chance at the IC title again.

The SD ladies title was good, 3 excellent stars all built better than Raw. Great Asuka finally got her chance. Ronda v Charlotte v Becky WM35 I think.

Raw's women title for sure. I'd have Becky win the rumble and move charlotte to raw. 

Right, with a bit of time on my hands, a lot more thoughts on the show.

* Cedric Alexander vs. Buddy Murphy was, as to be expected, really fucking good, although weaker than their last couple of matches. That said, I'd like to see a different big rivalry for that title now. I'd particularly like to see them go back and revisit the Mustapha Ali vs. Buddy Murphy rivalry with the title adding a new dimension to the whole thing.

* Elias vs. Bobby Lashley. Meh. It had some fun stuff scattered through it, but ultimately it was surrounded by a big pile of shite.

* The MMC final was a total fucking mess. Just horrendous in every single way with no redeeming factors at all.

* The three way tag team title match was fun spot filled nonsense. It started pretty badly but then built to the three teams just busting out a whole bunch of cool stuff and got the crowd into it. Didn't seem to be a match worth anything but didn't have to be.

* Corbin vs. Braun was actually a real fun angle which was a pleasant surprise.

* Ruby Riott vs. Natalya had a LOT going on through it, and there didn't appear to be much wrong with what was going on but I just wasn't into it at all. Having that much smoke and mirrors in a match and it still not being great isn't a good sign. The same can be said for Randy Orton vs. Rey Mysterio from later on though, so I'll just leave that match now.

* Finn Balor vs. Drew McIntyre was mainly fun for Drew McIntyre not wanting to shut the f**k up for more than 3 seconds at a time. I think McIntyre has lost something that he had the last time he was in WWE, which was his unique way of going after body parts. He just wrestles like a bog standard WWE guy now.

* Ronda Rousey vs. Nia Jax was a delight. Some seriously amazing exchanges and Rousey's offense just looks so amazing by anyone's standards. Nia Jax was great foil for her as well. The transitions into the Arm Bar were great, and the winning one was especially gorgeous.

* Daniel Bryan vs. AJ Styles was exactly what I was hoping for from the two men. Bryan excelling in his current role.

* Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins got a well deserved "This is boring!" chant from the audience. They went for methodical and it just did not work.

* The women's TLC match... oaft. The match was pretty good before the mental leg drop, and then that happened and the match just went to another level. Really enjoyed the ending as well.

Am I the only one that thought the main event was good, but fell short of excellent?  Seems like every "historic" women's match we get, a lot of outlets have to try and outdo each other over how amazing the match was.  And I'm not trying to put down three women who put on a great match, but going over the top isn't going to help them when things start to turn.  Just need to call it for what it is, close to the best they're putting out, but still fallible.  The match itself I think suffered a little for being a triple threat.  Nothing to do with the people involved, as you're always going to have to chain up spots to make sure no-one really has too long "free" to climb the ladder.  A few times they'd be selling the huge moves, only to miraculously get up earlier than expected purely to start the next one-on-one section.  The booking of the ending makes perfect sense, and I'm a huge fan of it.  The triple threat wasn't the greatest option to start with, but looking at it from now putting the title on Asuka, it's a great choice.  They had a bit of a misstep with the road to WM on the women's side last year, treating it like a Ronda Rousey vehicle disguised as an Asuka win, but this year they have so many directions they could go in.  I presume one goes after Asuka and one gets Rousey, but I wonder if they'll go triple threat.  Rousey vs Lynch vs Flair probably wouldn't be my first choice, but that could easily headline WM.

Probably sounds like I'm being overly harsh, which I'm not trying to be.  Still definitely match of the night.  Not sure they really managed to keep up the momentum they've been building over the past few PPVs, but compared to some of the shite they've served up, it's still good.

EDIT: Oh, and on Rousey, I am continuously amazed by just how good she is.  She was reversing and transitioning into those arm bars like a cruiserweight.  So smooth.

3 minutes ago, forameus said:

EDIT: Oh, and on Rousey, I am continuously amazed by just how good she is.  She was reversing and transitioning into those arm bars like a cruiserweight.  So smooth.

Naw just the armbars that were smooth. Everything she was doing was slick as f**k.

Give it more time, and her and Charlotte will probably put on the best women's match in WWE history.

Just now, Principal Flutie said:

Rousey, Lynch and Flair are the top of the women's game in WWE at the moment, and should be the choice.

You'd have the two biggest women there, and far and away the best.

Yeah, I just wonder whether that kind of demeans Asuka's reign.  But I doubt that'll get in the way of business, and good business says that some combination of that has to figure very high up the card.  Given how absolutely shite most WM main events have been recently, I'd be much more inclined to look forward to the 5am mark if I was waiting for that match, than a plodding Universal Championship match.

Just now, TheGoon said:

Aye I’d agree. It was a solid match, not excellent, the angle at the end really made it though.

Glad I'm not the only one.  Bleacher Report were crowing about Match of the Year Candidate, A+ etc, and I just didn't see it as that good.  It's been a pattern for a few podcasts to wax lyrical, and just seems counterintuitive and a bit like trying to show how "right on" they are.  They don't need to be pandered to, they're clearly very capable of putting on very good performances without that.

Just now, Principal Flutie said:

Naw just the armbars that were smooth. Everything she was doing was slick as f**k.

Give it more time, and her and Charlotte will probably put on the best women's match in WWE history.

Yeah, I wasn't meaning to single out just that.  I guess she already has combat experience, and you'll have to be smooth for that, but there are differences that make it so impressive how well she's picking it up.  She's not perfect on the mic yet, but even that has improved.  She can dominate like no-one else, she can sell very well, and as we saw at Survivor Series she can put on slightly longer matches that seem believable.  If they get main event at WM, I don't think there could be anything other than a match of the year candidate the way they're building this up.

I think if the first half of the match was better, I'd have had it among the top matches of the year. As it is, i don't think it's even the WWE women's match of the year, which goes to the amazing Lynch/Charlotte match from Evolution.

The second half was outstanding though I thought. It all clicked.

Archived